• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 - original duties

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoshotjimmi

I'm trying to find out exactly what services around the country the class 153's were posted to when they first emerged from their regeneration.

I am looking for depot info, service info as well as one off workings not necessarily booked for a 153.

Can anyone help? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LilLoaf

Eee the good old 153's. I've always found them interesting little units the only "bubble car" or "tin Rocket" as they were also known as left on the network (apart from the odd 121 around on the Cardiff Bay Branch, the one working for Chiltern and the SWT driver training unit which is going to be scrapped soon).

Not sure if it helps but this is what i know about the units.
Until around the mid 90's there used to be a few based at Heaton depot (Newcastle) which worked local services in the Newcastle area. At that time there were a few Newcastle - Saltburn via Darlington services. Now there are only the morning Saltburn - Newcastle services, i think there's 2 and no return working in the evening.

I THINK that its EMT have the largest 153 fleet at the minute.

Longest journey undertaken by them at the minute on a reguler basis is the Lancaster - Barrow - Whitehaven - Carlisle service. Its NOT the Heart of Wales line service which some people often think. There was also a Crewe - Camerthan service worked by a 153 aswell. I'm going back to 2003/2004 for that.

Shortest journey for them is on the Stourbridge branch and then the Cardiff Bay branch.

Hope this helps you.

Established Member
Eee the good old 153's. I've always found them interesting little units the only "bubble car" or "tin Rocket" as they were also known as left on the network (

Or a Dogbox!

Of course, initially, they were 155's, and they were moved about the country in the late 80's, with a lot based in Canton. Then, a number of course were halved by Hunslet Barclay, to what they are today.

I really am a fan of 153's, even though they appear on my line nearly everyday during the winter, when 150's are on the branch, I miss my 153's, although the Summer Sunday diagrams are booked for 2x153's.

During FNW days, you could see a 153 working on its own on a Llandudno-Manchester service, and I had the pleasure of one of these workings back in 2001, not a pretty sight has to be said!

They have appeared on Derby-Crewe diagrams since Dec 08 too, and that has seen overcrowding appearing on what once, was a comfortable journey!

They were converted to their current form with the hope of reducing running costs on lines like the Cambrian,Central wales lines, Conwy valley and the lines in Cornwall. These lines were all lightly used and due to government cutbacks etc either faced closure completely or drastic reductions in operating costs.

Last edited:

Established Member
They were converted to their current form with the hope of reducing running costs on lines like the Cambrian,Central wales lines, Conwy valley and the lines in Cornawall. These lines were all lightly used and due to government cutbacks etc either faced closure completely or drastic reductions in operating costs.

And funny to think now that the Cambrian at times is chocka, on a 158, whilst the Conwy Valley line struggles with a 150 during the summer.

fgwrich

Established Member
Mind you, one of the longest journeys ive heard a 153 working was, due to the booked 158 not being avlible at the time, Wales & West's Heart of Wales 153 working on its own, the Penzance to Manchester service :o...

As for where the 153's were originaly due for, cornwall certainly was one as they replaced the 121's that used to be down there...

And the now Ex SWT bubble car is now owned by the Swanage Railway - currently as Crewe for repainting and to be converted back into a passenger vechile...

Certainy FGW is making good use of there 'Dogboxes'... I had 153361,373 & 369 togther on the Devon metro on satuday...just a pity i had 150127 up to gunnislake:roll::lol:

rich

Last edited:

WillPS

Established Member
Central Trains had a large quantity of these units, although they always tried to couple them whenever possible (except on silly little services like the Stourbridge one). East Midlands Trains did, and still do (you see this a lot on Sundays), but given their VERY poor stock situation, more and more services are seeing single dogboxs - Crewe to Derby seems to be taking the brunt of this. Ironically, just two or three years ago these services were often run by 2-car Turbostars, running all the way through to Nottingham, seems a million miles away now.

Just how East Midlands Trains have ended up in the mess they have, I do not know.

As a passenger, they're not too bad - certainly more comfy than a 144, but I do feel sorry for drivers. Whenever they're coupled, they seem to be done so that the two smaller ends are facing and thus locked off.

Jim

Established Member
There was always the time a Devon and Cornwall liveried tin rocket made it to Portsmouth HArbour, ablit with its side steps having to be removed before being allowed back - ooooops!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There was always the time a Devon and Cornwall liveried tin rocket made it to Portsmouth HArbour, ablit with its side steps having to be removed before being allowed back - ooooops!

emoaconr

Mind you, one of the longest journeys ive heard a 153 working was, due to the booked 158 not being avlible at the time, Wales & West's Heart of Wales 153 working on its own, the Penzance to Manchester service :o...

Although slightly off the 'original uses' topic, I could have sworn ATW were using a Class 153 with 158's on the also-longish distance Holyhead - Cardiff Central service yesterday (I didn't notice until I got off the train at Cardiff, which was perhaps a bit unfortunate...). A few years ago after the end of the 101's, 153s were always used on the Borderlands Line, although I haven't seen any on there for some time.

Silly me if I end up posting things in the wrong places, I'm new here :)

O L Leigh

Established Member
In terms of the ORIGINAL duties that these units were used on, they were allocated pretty much everywhere. Norwich certainly had a number of these units from new and they were seen on almost every local service imaginable, including the not-so-local Ipswich to Peterborough run.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that these units haven't exactly moved far from their original duties. Wherever you find them now is where they've always been. Sure individual units have moved around and their precise duties have changed a wee bit, but as a class they really haven't gone very far at all.

However, I think I should correct LilLoaf. I was up in the NE from 1992-95 and I'm certain Heaton never had any Cl153's. It was all Cl142's and Cl156's on local trips and Cl158's for the TP routes.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Although slightly off the 'original uses' topic, I could have sworn ATW were using a Class 153 with 158's on the also-longish distance Holyhead - Cardiff Central service yesterday

They do this often on a Sunday, to move the 153's ,either to or from Canton, without the need for an ECS up to Chester or Crewe.

Ironically, since February, the Conwy Valley now is booked for 4 days on a 150, and 3 on a 153, with 150's or 2 x 153's booked daily from the May timetable change till September.

jv3531

Opps, slap hands MR Controller and Driver for not spotting that one! Happend recently too, 153 had to be road hauled back to Westbury as the they aren't cleared for operation now (well bar as far Southampton anyway). There seams to have been a fair amount of work down that way with new stock arrivals as they always used to be and there was always at least one diagram that ran down and stabled over night at fratton.

Mind you, aint nothing like a good 153 on the Stroud valley lines on a saturday morning and the return trips in the afternoons, sardines would have a luxury appartment compared to them, specially on match days. As for ticket checks....

Also have fond memories of cardif-birminghams, if you had a 153 you could vertually gaurantee geting stopped at the bottom of the lickey by Gloucester Panel forgetting to hand you on and then have to crawl up the bank once you got going:roll:.

BrinsworthHST

Why are the 153s not allowed to go to Portsmouth?

They appear around this way occasionally but aren't ideal, particularly at peak time! Good for adding extra capacity to other trains though.

devon_metro

Established Member
Why are the 153s not allowed to go to Portsmouth?

They appear around this way occasionally but aren't ideal, particularly at peak time! Good for adding extra capacity to other trains though.

The ladders on the small cab end foul the gauging in a number of places, most notably Southampton tunnel.

jv3531

A number of stations platforms along the route were altered for desiros and electrostars due to width of gaps between trains at various points along the route between southampton and pompy. Unfortunatly the alterations made have been so seveare in several locations that there is now a risk of 153s striking platforms and thus they should terminate at Eastleigh or Soton depend on route and are not allowed further. It causes headaches if they do as they realy should be road transported back to the furthest point to avoid any posibility of strikes. It does seem as though it may only be in one direction or with certain loadings as the things seem to get down there ok!

The Signalman

A few years ago ATW or W&B or whoever it was at the time used to operate a 153 uint from Cheltenham to Shrewsbury service via Cardiff, Swansea & the HoW arriving at Salop at around 1300 HRS.
This could qualify as a endurance job for a 153!
We used to announce it as the 'Cheltenham Flyer' on arrival at Salop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.