• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks

As we all know Class 153 units have two dissimilar cabs, the no.1 cab being the original one (as on the Class 155 units), while the no.2 cab (the new one) has a cab close to the original design, except the cab is obviously smaller than the no.1 end for a start, the gangway is folded (due to the lack of space), the destination blinds above the second-man side (rather than the driver side as on the no.1 end) and lighting clusters were higher. The raised edges was also omitted on the no.2 cab.

Is there a reason why the lighting clusters were raised on the new no.2 cab, as well as the destination blinds being placed on the secondman side?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Right Away

Is there a reason why the lighting clusters were raised on the new no.2 cab, as well as the destination blinds being placed on the secondman side?

Regarding the destination blind at the number two end, on the driver side the air wiper motor equipment is above the window because of the driving desk being shoehorned in below the window leaving no space for it. On the secondman side, the equipment is below the window as per both windows at the number one end.

If you look at a 153 externally, this is noticeable as all the wiper arms extend up from below the window with the exception of the number two end driver side windscreen where the arm extends downwards from above.

Last edited:

Llama

Established Member
The light clusters are raised slightly at the #2 end because below them (the equivalent place to where the light clusters are on the #1 end) is the recess where the driver's feet go. Inside the cab above the footwells you can see where the light clusters are positioned, there is a protrusion into the cab.

#1 end of a 153 cab is not for the claustrophobic. They're fairly interesting little things though, the changes that were made when they were converted into 153s from 155s are fairly clever. For instance there's a facility where fresh water from the toilet header tank can be diverted by the driver to the engine coolant header tank in case of an emergency whereby low coolant level would cause an engine to shut down, thereby leaving a solo 153 stranded and requiring assistance.

Right Away

As Llama says, they are interesting bits of kit although glad that I don't drive them anymore. Fortunately only had to use the external plunger once to pump water from the toilet header tank to the coolant system after operating the valve in the saloon roof cupboard next to the toilet and turning the coolant cap slightly to release the pressure in the system. Many of the 153s I drove had their own watering can on board for topping up the coolant at the next available location after going through the above procedure. It was for this reason that overnight priority for tanking units was given to 153s at my TOCs stabling locations.

Right Away

I will also add that although being long in the leg meant that for me the number two end afforded me more leg room (the number one end leg space has a sloping cupboard containing the horn and wiper isolation cocks that severely compromises leg room), at the number two end I was acutely aware of how close my knees were to the front of the train in the event of a collision.

Llama

Established Member
I've never had to use the water feature thank God. It's years since our depot has had any diagrams booked a solo 153, ours are always booked to be attached to other sets, although from Monday we've got one job where we bring a 153 back empty stock from Huddersfield to Newton Heath depot. We do very rarely end up with a 153 solo if the alternative was a cancellation, but that's just bad luck and would need the 153 to be split from another train.

Comments about the #2 cab actually being more comfortable than #1 cab for taller drivers do ring true, quite a few people do say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.