• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 with Network Rail Logos - Anyone have any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamf656

I’ve been working on the trains out of Derby and the past few days I’ve gone past RTC. 153311 is just outside, still in the East Midlands Trains base livery but with Network Rail logos on the side. Does anyone know what it’ll be used for and if it’s the only one?

Attachments

• 30F33289-5135-4BD0-B49C-D59728CBDCEE.jpeg
    30F33289-5135-4BD0-B49C-D59728CBDCEE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 647
  • CC622E98-A830-4FDE-8F68-A2F6375E7384.jpeg
    CC622E98-A830-4FDE-8F68-A2F6375E7384.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 656
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There are three with Network Rail, 153311, 153376 and 153385, but I'm not sure what they're being used for I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Townsend Hook

They’re due to be fitted with some new, experimental track recording kit. Presumably at least one will be out beforehand for traction training for the Colas IM drivers.

MCR247

Established Member
Interesting choice of colour for the logo given the background that it’s on

mtmikethom

There has Been a 153 unit parked in Manningtree down siding for most of the past 3 days, certainly there this evening, assume it’s to do with the previously mentioned testing? Seems to have run to Barking & Back in the wee small hours yesterday going by RTT

sonic2009

Established Member
There has Been a 153 unit parked in Manningtree down siding for most of the past 3 days, certainly there this evening, assume it’s to do with the previously mentioned testing? Seems to have run to Barking & Back in the wee small hours yesterday going by RTT

There were 2 cl153 knocking about in Norwich recently I believe. Possibly this is one.

warwickshire

On Moderation
There were 2 cl153 knocking about in Norwich recently I believe. Possibly this is one.
Yes its 153376 at manningtree.
Parked up there.
Has been to barking in the small hours.
Still in emr livery with network rail branding.
However major change to the front off it though it has loads and different types off CCTV cameras on the front.
Inside totally different with loads off laboratory equipment. But destination blind was displaying Birmingham new Street on it. 1302 London liverpool Street to clacton 321 hauled by 321427 was on the front. Final bash to Ipswich on a non prm 321 for me. But was 2 minutes early at manningtree. So got a few nice shots off it.
However thanks ops above for posting and reminding me. Because it jogs my memory about Tuesday the 24th October 2021 because at leamington Spa station around 1750 hours.
Early on this week same livey. Same logo network rail in black.
153385 moved through solo on the way to eastleigh Arlington Depot.
Move also is still showing like wise on live rail record. For further information.
However please does anyone know what 153385 is doing there testing in the area.
Or is it going to have a repaint maybe.

TheEdge

Established Member
153311 (Training unit) and 153376 (kitted out for S&C recording and monitoring work) are the two NR 153s gracing Norwich last week.

One of the other reasons for two of them in Anglia is there is now nothing (bar a 158 or 170 if one happened to luckily fail in the tiny corner they serve) in the region that can couple to and rescue a 153 so the back up one is needed to be relatively nearby.

trainmania100

Established Member
2Q11 running tonight via Southampton.

Not sure why I thought 153s didn't run to SOTON due to the tight curve at northam junction?

So are these units replacing DR98008?

Last edited:

EdTorbett

As @warwickshire and @fgwrich have mentioned, these are new switches and crossings measurement trains which are designed to work at up to 60mph. They've got a suite of digital cameras including 4K, thermal and line cameras pointing directly down at the rail, and all the data's uploaded to AIVR for easy viewing. They'll also be getting an upgrade in mid-November to include a laser-based track geometry measurement system, so it'll be reporting potential track defects automatically. One is running the Anglia routes and is currently based out of Norwich, and the other is running the Wessex routes. Here's a couple of nice pictures from when I was installing and commissioning it all!

Attachments

• IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC05720_2.jpg
    DSC05720_2.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 139

Towers

Established Member
2Q11 running tonight via Southampton.

Not sure why I thought 153s didn't run to SOTON due to the tight curve at northam junction?

So are these units replacing DR98008?
153s were always banned Soton - Portsmouth, platform clearance issues. Fabled explanations tended to be either the bogie steps on the non-original cab end or, less credibly, the whole thing swaying out of gauge due to the contents of the water tank sloshing around!

One did make it to Portsmouth once upon a time, but that's another story....:D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
153s were always banned Soton - Portsmouth, platform clearance issues. Fabled explanations tended to be either the bogie steps on the non-original cab end or, less credibly, the whole thing swaying out of gauge due to the contents of the water tank sloshing around!

One did make it to Portsmouth once upon a time, but that's another story....:D
Apologies for the topic diversion, but there is supporting evidence for the steps at the no.2 end being the issue: as 155s they were the booked traction for Cardiff to Portsmouth.

Towers

Established Member
Apologies for the topic diversion, but there is supporting evidence for the steps at the no.2 end being the issue: as 155s they were the booked traction for Cardiff to Portsmouth.
Yes, indeed! Also, I believe the quoted reason for HSTs being banned from same is also to do with car bogie steps, on the 43s? So that does seem likely!

jj1314

They'll also be getting an upgrade in mid-November to include a laser-based track geometry measurement system, so it'll be reporting potential track defects automatically.
Exciting inventory by the sound of it! Had a brief spell working with RILA data a few years ago. Assume this system will also yield georeferenced point clouds?

Status
Not open for further replies.