• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 175 coupling fault at Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plethora

I'm on the TFW scheduled 4:20 to Piccadilly, 50% ex-Llandudno, due to couple to another 175 unit in the station.

It appears that the electrical couplings are not engaging properly. Photograph attached for illustrative purposes. The top part of the coupling (which I assume is the mechanical lock) engages properly. The bit that looks like a big scart cable below it is not properly engaging on the rear unit. TFW staff have been kicking the cover, trying to manual release and all sorts. They have not yet (to my knowledge) tried turning the units on and off again yet. I will try to remember to get unit numbers at Piccadilly.

Are coupling issues like this common on the 175? The Voyager next to us seemed to manage with minimal fuss, and I noted the couplers are fairly similar (albeit inverted).

On an unrelated note, I've never been on a 175, but boy could the interior do with a refresh.

Edit: They have just asked passengers for Helsby to leave our carriage. I assume this means they are running the other unit around the front..

They have retired 175004 (the faulty unit) and luckily had 175009 spare to couple to the front.

Attachments

• DSC_0264.JPG
    DSC_0264.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesst

Same as most types of stock to be honest, occasionally 2 trains just won't couple, no matter what you try!

sw1ller

Established Member
It’s happened to me once in 4 years with 175’s. Taking in mind I couple them a lot as we a lot of shunting them about connected to each other.

There is the option of taking it round the angle at the Birkenhead end to try the other cab, but if there’s no Chester drivers about to shunt it, most other depots drivers would refuse to take it as they don’t know the move.

They are very reliable in my experience, but when they refuse to budge, there’s not a lot you can do.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Nothing unusual in units, whatever class, failing to couple. I believe, but don't know if it's the same now, three attempts should be made and then abort.

Parallel

Established Member
I saw two 175s couple at Newport last week following a tree on the line between Cwmbran and Abergavenny, seemed to have no problems. I have been on an ATW 158 that took several times to couple before. They tried several times with a bit more force each time, eventually it coupled. That was interesting as it was a full and standing service so people were getting thrown around the carriage at Machynlleth!

Plethora

They do need a refurbishment,I do find them a good journey to travel on though.
It was OK, but I'm pretty spoiled by the Class 185 offering in our neck of the woods. I presume SP speed restrictions would mean they couldn't be used by TFW?

Also, is it normal for the train announcements to repeat every two minutes (I timed it)? Hearing the full list of stations from Llandudno for thirty times was extremely annoying. Worse than the 319s at their most talkative!

I saw two 175s couple at Newport last week following a tree on the line between Cwmbran and Abergavenny, seemed to have no problems. I have been on an ATW 158 that took several times to couple before. They tried several times with a bit more force each time, eventually it coupled. That was interesting as it was a full and standing service so people were getting thrown around the carriage at Machynlleth!

They didn't try that today. Though they did keep pax arriving into Chester locked in for 10 minutes while they fiddled. Hope none of them had connections to catch...

I'm on the TFW scheduled 4:20 to Piccadilly, 50% ex-Llandudno, due to couple to another 175 unit in the station.

It appears that the electrical couplings are not engaging properly. Photograph attached for illustrative purposes. The top part of the coupling (which I assume is the mechanical lock) engages properly. The bit that looks like a big scart cable below it is not properly engaging on the rear unit. TFW staff have been kicking the cover, trying to manual release and all sorts. They have not yet (to my knowledge) tried turning the units on and off again yet. I will try to remember to get unit numbers at Piccadilly.

Are coupling issues like this common on the 175? The Voyager next to us seemed to manage with minimal fuss, and I noted the couplers are fairly similar (albeit inverted).

It's a fairly common issue that get's dealt with as and when required in the depot I work at. They're mechanical devices mounted on the front of trains at the end of the day.

Usually electrical heads don't mate because of bent guide pins or worn bearings or by impact damage. A possible short-term "fix" to save cancelling services may be to isolate and reinstate the coupler air supply as it's trying to extend. Of course if you were to do this, you'd inform control so that the problem will be avoided (make it non-multi) until it's repaired. Not all couplers are designed to operate the same so this won't work for every type of train, obviously.

sw1ller

Established Member
Also, is it normal for the train announcements to repeat every two minutes (I timed it)? Hearing the full list of stations from Llandudno for thirty times was extremely annoying. Worse than the 319s at their most talkative!

Yes, on that particular service, it’s very normal unfortunately. The code the drivers are given for the TMS is corrupt I think. There is another code that stops this, but you have to dig the archives of your TMS codes and you simply don’t have time. (Although, I’m 80% sure it’s 0023, from memory. Not done it in a while, I normally look it up as my day starts)

Edit : just looked it up, it’s 0032, I was close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.