• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 175 future speculation

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Where the doors are is almost completely irrelevant, but the width of them is very relevant (and the reduction in toilets, seats, tables and legroom in favour of standing room that results)
I'm afraid you're in a small minority with this opinion. The width of the doors does matter though I agree: wider doors are far better for reducing dwells, and for easier access with luggage/cycles/pushchairs/reduced mobility.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Becuase they are good trains that need a home, and it result in a cascade that would allow older Sprinters to be retired, at least on the EMR.
The numbers game is a nice way of looking at it, but when you boil down to the details it is not exactly great for EMR though is it?

A 175 is heavier than a 158, has fewer seats, fewer toilets, worse acceleration, and can't interwork with 170 and 156s (whereas 158s can). Their reliability is also poorer.

Why would EMR want them? It's more hassle for no gain for them or their passengers.

Newer they may be, but that doesn't mean they are better or worth EMR's or the DfT's time.

Established Member
The numbers game is a nice way of looking at it, but when you boil down to the details it is not exactly great for EMR though is it?

A 175 is heavier than a 158, has fewer seats, fewer toilets, worse acceleration, and can't interwork with 170 and 156s (whereas 158s can). Their reliability is also poorer.

Why would EMR want them? It's more hassle for no gain for them or their passengers.

Newer they may be, but that doesn't mean they are better or worth EMR's or the DfT's time.
Yes but what happens when the 156s and 158s are life expired and 175s aren’t, assuming that they haven’t done any new electrification?

Wolfie

Established Member
Yes but what happens when the 156s and 158s are life expired and 175s aren’t, assuming that they haven’t done any new electrification?
Presumably more hybrids, either new or based on mid-life EMUs with those being replaced by new build.

The 175s had a decent refurb but like most Alstom products of that era really aren't particularly good or reliable trains.

Clansman

Established Member
You replace them with a new dedicated regional hybrid fleet that can come in, replace the 156/158/170s, and do the job well for 30+ years - rather than an aging fleet that will be life expired within 10 years that offer no significant benefit to anybody using EMR.

Simple, easy, efficient, and fit for the future.

The sooner the railway cuts the losses incurred by plug-in/bit-part small fleet procurements of the late 90s/early 2000s, the better.

Wolfie

Established Member
You replace them with a new dedicated regional hybrid fleet that can come in, replace the 156/158/170s, and do the job well for 30+ years - rather than an aging fleet that will be life expired within 10 years that offer no significant benefit to anybody using EMR.

Simple, easy, efficient, and fit for the future.

The sooner the railway cuts the losses incurred by plug-in/bit-part small fleet procurements of the late 90s/early 2000s, the better.
If the 175s are to find a new home a niche requiring rolling stock, ideally with an existing Alstom stock operator, might make some sense. I'm unclear if ScotRail might have any such requirement.

Clansman

Established Member
If the 175s are to find a new home a niche requiring rolling stock, ideally with an existing Alstom stock operator, might make some sense.
I agree with you there. Thus exposes the problem the railways in the UK has, in that niche procurements will ultimatley lead to nowhere being niche enough to rehouse them in future when older fleets are blanket replaced.

Hard to say where the 175s could go on the network. If a home is to be found for them, it will be because there is a demand and a need for them - not because they are a fleet that could last for another 10 years.

I'm unclear if ScotRail might have any such requirement

ScotRail is a no go because full network decarbonisation is happening by 2035, so everything they have rolling stock wise at the moment is going to get stretched as much as possible to 2030. And also the Scottish Government is looking to reduce services substantially by around 2022/23 due to decreased demand from covid, so existing rolling stock numbers can cover shortfalls fairly easily.

Even if covid demand wasn't an issue, ScotRail has new built EMUs coming in by 2025-ish in time for East Kilbride/Barrhead being electrified, and those will displace the majority of 156s into Glasgow Central. So if ScotRail needed any DMU contingencies in the door then the most obvious solution is to hold onto their own soon-to-be redundant 156s, than to dive into the off-lease market elsewhere.

Wolfie

Established Member
I agree with you there. Thus exposes the problem the railways in the UK has, in that niche procurements will ultimatley lead to nowhere being niche enough to rehouse them in future when older fleets are blanket replaced.

Hard to say where the 175s could go on the network. If a home is to be found for them, it will be because there is a demand and a need for them - not because they are a fleet that could last for another 10 years.

ScotRail is a no go because full network decarbonisation is happening by 2035, so everything they have rolling stock wise at the moment is going to get stretched as much as possible to 2030. And also the Scottish Government is looking to reduce services substantially by around 2022/23 due to decreased demand from covid, so existing rolling stock numbers can cover shortfalls fairly easily.

Even if covid demand wasn't an issue, ScotRail has new built EMUs coming in by 2025-ish in time for East Kilbride/Barrhead being electrified, and those will displace the majority of 156s into Glasgow Central. So if ScotRail needed any DMU contingencies in the door then the most obvious solution is to hold onto their own soon-to-be redundant 156s, than to dive into the off-lease market elsewhere.
That's what l suspected. I had wondered if they could get rid of 156s and dodge a refurb by taking these on, particularly if the lease price was good, but....

Class360/1

Also to mention no end gangways

wobman

On Moderation

I can assure you the 175's are a big upgrade compared to a sprinter, plus the reliability issues have long since been resolved.

They have a better toilet provision than the 158's and Alstom have made a good jobs of the refurbishment. They are a nice long distance unit, it's only the multiple working that an issue.

Energy

Established Member
Well, they cope with 360s.... lol
...and 170s. EMR is a fairly pointless topic as they are replacing all the sprinters with 170s anyway. Scotrail is a possibility but isn't likely.

Philip

On Moderation
Northern has often been touted as a place for them. I still think they'd be good for running in pairs on the Manchester-Cumbria route. If all of those diagrams were to run in 6-coach formations then it would utilize 12 of the 16 3-car units. People go on about end-door problems but for the foreseeable future there will be end-door stock going through Castlefield anyway in the form of EMR 156s and 158s and TPE 397s, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if Barrow and Windermere stock joined that club. It would be useful to release the 195s from the Cumbria services so that they can replace more Sprinters on the stopping services.

As for the remaining 3-car units along with the 2-car units; these could be split between say Clitheroe, Southport and Mid Cheshire line services. All of this with a suitable depot (Longsight) close at hand and not much route clearing needed, plus I'm guessing only Piccadilly and Victoria traincrews would need to learn the units.

Clansman

Established Member
That's what l suspected. I had wondered if they could get rid of 156s and dodge a refurb by taking these on, particularly if the lease price was good, but....
All of their 156s have been heavily refurbished already so they don't need anything major other than regular maintenance to take them up to being replaced by 2025 or thereabouts. Plus depots across the central belt have been maintaining 156s since the 80s, so know them like the back of their hand which is a value in itself against procuring any half life replacements.
...and 170s. EMR is a fairly pointless topic as they are replacing all the sprinters with 170s anyway. Scotrail is a possibility but isn't likely.
Not sure where you're getting ScotRail as a possibility from given the concrete information we know already, but each to their own I guess.

Northern has often been touted as a place for them. I still think they'd be good for running in pairs on the Manchester-Cumbria route. If all of those diagrams were to run in 6-coach formations then it would utilize 12 of the 16 3-car units. People go on about end-door problems but for the foreseeable future there will be end-door stock going through Castlefield anyway in the form of EMR 156s and 158s and TPE 397s, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if Barrow and Windermere stock joined that club. It would be useful to release the 195s from the Cumbria services so that they can replace more Sprinter stock on the more local services.

As for the remaining 3-car units along with the 2-car units; these could be split between say Clitheroe, Southport and Mid Cheshire line services. All of this with a suitable depot (Longsight) close at hand and not much route clearing needed, plus I'm guessing only Piccadilly and Victoria traincrews would need to learn the units.
Are the 769s expected to last long given the complete shambles of their retractioning and performance?

At this point I'd hedge a bet on CAF drawing up a bi-mode 331 being a more economical investment in the long term to order, if ever a replacement was needed for the remaining BREL era units.

Certainly if Pacers had to be binned 10 years earlier and 175s were off-lease at that point then Northern might have found value in them. But the 'buy new and be done with it' culture that we're seeing across the UK is rendering half decent nick fleets like the 175s obsolete.

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
plus I'm guessing only Piccadilly and Victoria traincrews would need to learn the units.
Bad guess.

You need to add in Barrow (Northern & ex TPE), Blackpool North (Northern and ex TPE), Wigan Wallgate, Blackburn and Buxton crews at least for the routes you have ‘touted’.

Philip

On Moderation
Bad guess.

You need to add in Barrow (Northern & ex TPE), Blackpool North (Northern and ex TPE), Wigan Wallgate, Blackburn and Buxton crews at least for the routes you have ‘touted’.

Why would Buxton and Blackpool crews need to learn stock which wouldn't even go near their home depot?

Besides if all Mid-Cheshire diagrams ran in 4-coach formation then any remaining 175s would probably cover the Clitheroe services, meaning only Blackburn crew would need to learn in addition to Manchester crew.

Neptune

Established Member
Why would Buxton and Blackpool crews need to learn stock which wouldn't even go near their home depot?

Besides if all Mid-Cheshire diagrams ran in 4-coach formation then any remaining 175s would probably cover the Clitheroe services, meaning only Blackburn crew would need to learn in addition to Manchester crew.
Blackpool do MAN - Cumbria, Buxton do Mid Cheshire.

It’s not unusual for depots to work services which don’t go past their home depot. For instance Newcastle work Bishop Auckland to Saltburn, York work Leeds - Hull and Leeds - Man Vic, Huddersfield work Leeds - Man Vic and Leeds - Sheffield via Barnsley, Leeds conductors work the Penistone line. The list goes on.

Last edited:

MattRat

On Moderation
If the 175s are to find a new home a niche requiring rolling stock, ideally with an existing Alstom stock operator, might make some sense. I'm unclear if ScotRail might have any such requirement.
Well, they cope with 360s.... lol
See, the more you think about it, the more it would make sense. Although below seems to put the nail in the coffin....
It does make me wonder if there is anyone that doesn't have access to easy replacements like turbostars.....

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Northern's North East operation does seem like a good fit in a number of ways.

Heaton's current allocation of units I believe is 30 Class 156s (which operate as far as Barrow and Preston on Cumbrian Coast services as well as in the North East but not on the Settle and Carlisle) and 17 Class 158s (which operate in the North East, on the Settle and Carlisle and in Yorkshire, but not on the Cumbrian Coast).

Heaton have for a reasonable length of time maintained Grand Central's 180s, which I am lead to believe are reasonably similar to 175s.

The North East was shown at one stage as a possible future home for the Thames Valley Turbo's, suggesting that broadly the structure gauge available is more generous than elsewhere, as it has been suggested that 175s could be challenging on some routes.

However:

I'm not clear that they'd be able to operate on the Cumbrian Coast - aren't some of the tunnels rather restrictive? Would 175s fit?

There are complications with ScotRail joint working between Dumfries and Carlisle.

Heaton has more capacity than is purely required to provide units for the North East operation - it has historically provided 142s, 144s and now 158s to work in Yorkshire. Without involving Leeds and Skipton crew in learning new traction types Heaton ends up either having excess unused capacity or having 3 types of unit on is books.

In the round there are multiple moving parts:

Alstom Breeze 600 units in the Middlesbrough area could mean that a combination of the 27 175s, plus a fleet of maybe 10 Cl600 (has anyone ever seen a figure for the size of this fleet?) could cover all the North East work, plus the Cumbrian Coast (if a 175 can fit of course).

Or perhaps retain a small 156 fleet and use 175s on the Settle and Carlisle - clearly a 3 car works well but a pair of 2 cars is more problematic.

Or potentially supply the Cumbrian Coast with 156s from Newton Heath and top up Heaton with 158s for the Settle and Carlisle and Yorkshire as currently.

The more options I read the more convinced I become that the North East is the logical place for this fleet.

MattRat

On Moderation
OK, so I just stumbled across the fact Southern are still using class 313s, for some reason.....

Unconventional idea: Class 175s replacing Southern's ancient class 313s.

Wolfie

Established Member
OK, so I just stumbled across the fact Southern are still using class 313s, for some reason.....

Unconventional idea: Class 175s replacing Southern's ancient class 313s.
Why in God's name replace fully functional, albeit aging, EMUs with DMUs? There are far, far better potential options to replace 313s.

Established Member
Northern has often been touted as a place for them. I still think they'd be good for running in pairs on the Manchester-Cumbria route. If all of those diagrams were to run in 6-coach formations then it would utilize 12 of the 16 3-car units. People go on about end-door problems but for the foreseeable future there will be end-door stock going through Castlefield anyway in the form of EMR 156s and 158s and TPE 397s, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if Barrow and Windermere stock joined that club. It would be useful to release the 195s from the Cumbria services so that they can replace more Sprinters on the stopping services.

Do you know what the North West 175 routes were when they were first introduced? They certainly reached Barrow and Windermere and have more recently reached Chester though not via Mid Cheshire, but has one ever reached Southport or Clitheroe? They is of course no route clearance required for places they have already been, but if the plan for 2tph on the Mid Cheshire line involved TfW 175s, then they may already be cleared through there.
Are the 769s expected to last long given the complete shambles of their retractioning and performance?
769 reliability is actually improving somewhat. I would give them another 5 years on Southport services. They can last slightly longer than Sprinters given the chance.
At this point I'd hedge a bet on CAF drawing up a bi-mode 331 being a more economical investment in the long term to order, if ever a replacement was needed for the remaining BREL era units.
New CAF bi-modes, losing their Diesel engines when electrification comes along, are most likely the preferred option for Northern Sprinter replacement, but they will be expensive and can’t be designed or built instantly. It can’t be acceptable to scrap non-BREL era DMUs yet when it’s unacceptable to order more. It must be logical to retain as many 175/185/195s as possible until widespread battery/hydrogen/new electrification materialises. Diesel isn’t obsolete until all the wires are up.

Clansman

Established Member
It can’t be acceptable to scrap non-BREL era DMUs yet when it’s unacceptable to order more.
In a perfect world I would agree with you.

But in the climate of the railway that we are in today, in what way is it not acceptable? If you are talking logic, you need to look firstly at what the need is, who benefits, and at what cost.

A major consequence in how the railway has been run post privatisation is the relatively conservative procurement history of new build fleets. They used to come in largely on the basis of replacing older fleets that are on their mechanical deathbeds, rather than procuring with forward thinking in mind based on the needs of staff and passengers and the company at large.

Sooner or later by continuing this approach you hit that juncture where you need to grapple with the situation at hand and cut your losses. Every medium/large TOC has either done it already, or will be forced to do so relatively soon. Look no further than the mess Northern was prior to the CAF order, or GA prior to the Stadler/Bombardier orders. Or look at the situation across Inverclyde for ScotRail where you had six different fleets turning up to work the same services at one point until 2019.

The fact is that small fleets such as the 175s are a hinderence within TOCs who've had to procure new builds (see reasons in my last post as to why). It doesn't matter in this regard how old or new the fleet is. If they aren't needed, they aren't needed.

Ultimatley, it's proving cheaper in the longer term to buy new than it is to lease and maintain something that's already built.

Why bother?

It must be logical to retain as many 175/185/195s as possible until widespread battery/hydrogen/new electrification materialises. Diesel isn’t obsolete until all the wires are up.
Not strictly true when you remove the politics behind these things happening.

Battery technology already exists that allow you to charge up batteries while under the wires, then use the stored electric on non wired lines. As we are seeing in Scotland, by 2030 there'll be periodic blocks of wires for this purpose so as to avoid diesel running.

Though again, political will depending as well as the technology catching up that allows longer range off-wire running.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
They is of course no route clearance required for places they have already been, but if the plan for 2tph on the Mid Cheshire line involved TfW 175s, then they may already be cleared through there.
They are cleared for that route, and currently go that way with TfW on engineering diversions / route retainers, iirc.

(The recent issue with the Manchester timetable recast was to do with level crossing barrier downtimes, if the services on that line increased.)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
They are cleared for that route, and currently go that way with TfW on engineering diversions / route retainers, iirc.

(The recent issue with the Manchester timetable recast was to do with level crossing barrier downtimes, if the services on that line increased.)

175s are booked to work via the Mid-Cheshire daily on 0334 (when it resumes post-COVID) and 0446 Chester to Manchester Airport which are for route retention purposes

wobman

On Moderation
175s are booked to work via the Mid-Cheshire daily on 0334 (when it resumes post-COVID) and 0446 Chester to Manchester Airport which are for route retention purposes
The implications of the proposed recast have nothing to do with tractions is because Less that half the drivers at Chester sign the Cheshire lines route, as it's only in 1 link. TFW did tell the committee it wouldn't be until Q2/3 2023 that all Manchester services could be routed to Manchester via Cheshire lines. It's also Holyhead and Llandudno junction traincrew that would need to road learn the route.

Going back to 175's they are cleared for that route.

warwickshire

On Moderation

175s have always been on the clc via greenbank since around 2001 when brand new.
Sunday diversions.
Also Manchester Piccadilly conductors didn't sign them at first
But Chester did back in first north Western days when out on the very first Chester services until Manchester Piccadilly conductors got trained up on them etc.
The 175 did local services on the clc via greenbank. Especially first and Last starting and ending Chester.
And some services via warrington bank quay was anything from a 156 142 or single 153 .
So the Manchester Piccadilly conductors could work their diagrams.
Also out off interest another service 175 did was Manchester Piccadilly Birmingham via Manchester airport with Manchester airport crewe.
Another interesting service was Chester to Manchester airport via crewe .
Maybe the 175 could well go north east and replace some northern 170s.
Very good point.
And maybe instead some 170s could come to chiltern railways maybe to replace the locomotive hauled class 68 services.
And then chiltern railways would have just 165 and 168s and 168 sub class ie 1683 ex transpennie units the ex 1703 .
And maybe 1685 series ex northern 170.
To have a more easier to manage fleet.
Good point about 175 in north east .