• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 175 future speculation

LowLevel

Established Member
Unless one gets grabbed for preservation
That depends how rotten they are. Taking on something that most preservation sites will have no capability to repair that is rotten as an old pear is not likely to result in long term survival.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPI

Established Member
That depends how rotten they are. Taking on something that most preservation sites will have no capability to repair that is rotten as an old pear is not likely to result in long term survival.
Preservationists would be better waiting for some of the GWR ones which all had extensive corrosion work done.

Linesider1960

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows which was the rear unit on 5Q46 0814 Landore T.M.D. to Ely Mlf Papworth Sidings on 19th March 2024, please? Got a shot near Swindon but not the number. Leading unit was 175104.

Aquamanda

I heard that an unbranded 175 has been out on a test run today from Landore to Haverfordwest and back.

3E50 13:30 out, and 3E51 15:09 return.

Also, while looking on RTT, it seems there was a move from Landore to Central Rivers / Barton this morning - 5Q99. From what I've read earlier in this thread, that will have been 175-related as well?

Anonymous10

Established Member
I heard that an unbranded 175 has been out on a test run today from Landore to Haverfordwest and back.

Also, while looking on RTT, it seems there was a move from Landore to Central Rivers / Barton this morning - 5Q99. From what I've read earlier in this thread, that will have been 175-related as well?

Sad that I missed seeing that test, hopefully they get a new operator soon.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member

5Q99 was 37800 and 37901 dragging 175101.

The_Train

Established Member
Are any of these units still at Ilford, does anybody know?
I have 008, 010, 102, 108 & 110 as being there but my updates of them going down there are fairly old now so I presume they have come out and moved elsewhere in most cases?

BillStampy

Why??
The last time I say 110 it was going to Landore, it shouldn't have left there since unless I missed a random movement!

Also, since 175113 is my favourite of the units, anyone know where it is now? I have no clue where it went.

Another one off to Ely Mlf Papworth..

Thank god I read the number correct as it passed Llanharan, it's hard to read something that's blocked by a pipe and a barrier wagon!

Signal_Box

Over on another forum a usually reliable poster said GWR are singing for the 175s, centred on Bristol St Phillips Marsh

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Over on another forum a usually reliable poster said GWR are singing for the 175s, centred on Bristol St Phillips Marsh
Are you able to provide a link or just direct me to this, I'd like to see for myself please? Not that I don't trust you, I'd just like my own opinion :).

irish_rail

Established Member
That will be a shame for Laira work wise, which would surely have been an obvious choice. Worryingly, I guess this also points to 175s being used on the Portsmouth to Careiff route where in my view they would be wasted. Time will tell I suppose, will believe it when I see it!

brad465

Established Member
Am I correct in saying St Phillips Marsh is somewhat under-utilised at the moment? RTT usually shows a relatively low number of diagrams leaving and entering each day, which are all Turbos bar one or two 158 ones.

That will be a shame for Laira work wise, which would surely have been an obvious choice. Worryingly, I guess this also points to 175s being used on the Portsmouth to Careiff route where in my view they would be wasted. Time will tell I suppose, will believe it when I see it!
Presumably they could still stable in Laira if they do operate down that way, even if not the primary depot for maintenance. The Cardiff-Taunton/Penzance services do pass through Bristol of course, so them being based out of Bristol wouldn't be that inconvenient I'd like to think.

Lurcheroo

I see lots of people saying they’d be great on that route, what makes you think they’d be wasted ?

I’m not really familiar with the diagrams, but it seems there was an 800 that did PNZ-CDF then CDF back to PNZ. I think 175’s would be ideal for that. Doesn’t seem like speeds of great than 100mph are achieved for most if not any of it and the 175’s are nice to travel on for a long time. It’s not like you’d be losing a buffet car that 80x’s should have in my opinion. If 5 cars are needed for that service then a 175 in 3+2 would work, but if it’s overkill then it could run as a 4 or 3.

Last edited:

Xavi

All the sources I have read suggest the depot is likely to be Laira and routes covered Cardiff - Penzance plus Okehampton/ Barnstaple. The 100mph capability being better used (Cardiff to Newton Abbot) than the Portsmouth route where there would also be additional speed restrictions for 175s compared with class 165/158.

Barnstaple releases 158s to augment Portsmouth. Okehampton releases 150s for Cornwall Metro. Penzance releases IETs to strengthen London services.

Last edited:

REVUpminster

If the 175s go to Bristol, surely that would release turbo's to Exeter which has a depot that can maintain 3 car trains if used to it's full capability (lifting road etc). Turbos would be preferred on all "Devon Metro" routes. The 158s could replace the HSTs and maybe maintained at Laira.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The plan is that the 175 units would work on the Penzance-Cardiff corridor, maintained at LA. They would also do the Barney and possibly the Okehampton.

The displaced 158 units would go onto the Cardiff-Pompey, boosting formations to 4 and 5 car (with an 5 car Turbo on at least one circuit) and the displaced IET units go back on class 1 duties, boosting formations back to where they were. The remaining HST sets would be scrapped.

The DfT have yet to authorise any deal for the cl.175 fleet.

irish_rail

Established Member
The plan is that the 175 units would work on the Penzance-Cardiff corridor, maintained at LA. They would also do the Barney and possibly the Okehampton.

The displaced 158 units would go onto the Cardiff-Pompey, boosting formations to 4 and 5 car (with an 5 car Turbo on at least one circuit) and the displaced IET units go back on class 1 duties, boosting formations back to where they were. The remaining HST sets would be scrapped.

Common sense. The 175s would be a fantastic improvement in my view on the Pemzance to Caridiff run, a route where a lot of journeys are around the 2 hour mark (it is certainly more than a local branch line). Plenty of Plymouth to Bristol, Exeter to Cardiff , Penzance to Plymouth type trips perfect for semi intercity traction. Will cross everything in the hope Dft sign this one off , though I won't hold my breath. Presumably it would need to run without HSS drivers also due to the agreement about us not being allowed to learn anything new. That could be problematic, but a problem for another day should this all come off.

Xavi

Yes, who knows when it comes to DfT! However, as anticipated in this election year we have seen a flurry of good rail headlines from DfT recently (379s, XC 221s, EMR refurbs, NPR). The current government is unlikely to be paying the leases (indirectly) for long, so anything for a good headline. Probably a case of now or never!

Western 52

It will be interesting to see a 175 in GWR green, although TfW did apply new livery to the whole fleet quite recently, so they probably don't need a new paint job yet.

Anonymous10

Established Member
It will be interesting to see a 175 in GWR green, although TfW did apply new livery to the whole fleet quite recently, so they probably don't need a new paint job yet.
It would for me be wierd using them to Penzance, I would also miss the quiet coach.

irish_rail

Established Member
It would for me be wierd using them to Penzance, I would also miss the quiet coach.
A darn sight more comformable than an IET in my opinion. I personally would actively seek to travel on them instead of an IET if travelling to Cornwall or east to say Exeter.

Anonymous10

Established Member
A darn sight more comformable than an IET in my opinion. I personally would actively seek to travel on them instead of an IET if travelling to Cornwall or east to say Exeter.
Yes more comfortable, however as someone who frequently reads or works while travelling I do appreciate the quiet coach on the iet.