• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 180 at Doncaster Wabtec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
I noticed there is a Class 180 at Doncaster Wabtec, does anyone know why it is there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DoubleO

Is it actually at Wabtec, or just stabled in the West Yard adjacent to the Wabtec depot?

Established Member
I noticed there is a Class 180 at Doncaster Wabtec, does anyone know why it is there?
I've seen an EMR 180 with in the Wabtec multiple times over the last several weeks, seems to be always sat in same place, near to where they form up the refurbished Gwr/Scotrail coaches

I have no idea why it is there though.

43102EMR

Established Member
I've seen an EMR 180 with in the Wabtec multiple times over the last several weeks, seems to be always sat in same place, near to where they form up the refurbished Gwr/Scotrail coaches

I have no idea why it is there though.
Unsure as to whether you’ve found out yet, but they’ve been in and out of Doncaster and Crofton for repairs - as with Hull Trains, their poor reliability has been plaguing EMR… :s

DannyMich2018

This was in Today's Railways UK July edition and prob explains this.

Attachments

• 20210831_224043.jpg
    20210831_224043.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 269

Kneedown

Established Member
As the above post says, 110 is at Doncaster having some corrosion issues addressed. I believe the 4 car proposal may not now happen as it messes up the TMS. Either a workaround needs to be found, or the corrosion repaired.

43102EMR

Established Member
As the above post says, 110 is at Doncaster having some corrosion issues addressed. I believe the 4 car proposal may not now happen as it messes up the TMS. Either a workaround needs to be found, or the corrosion repaired.
The weird thing is the 180s EMR have have operated in four car formation before (albeit briefly) whilst with Hull Trains - I think one of 113’s MSO caught fire and was taken out for repairs, and one of 109’s was removed and inserted into 113 as a quick fix for a couple of months, with 109 operating as a four car unit in passenger service.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I don't suppose the TMS gets many updates these days

rustbucket

The weird thing is the 180s EMR have have operated in four car formation before (albeit briefly) whilst with Hull Trains - I think one of 113’s MSO caught fire and was taken out for repairs, and one of 109’s was removed and inserted into 113 as a quick fix for a couple of months, with 109 operating as a four car unit in passenger service.

That's correct

The issue is though, that a 180 with two engines out of a 5 coach can just about keep to time if driven hard - 2 from 4 gone and it can't get much above 70

Think 109 was effectively banned from running south of Doncaster with 2 engines out in its stint as a 4 car

43102EMR

Established Member
That's correct

The issue is though, that a 180 with two engines out of a 5 coach can just about keep to time if driven hard - 2 from 4 gone and it can't get much above 70

Think 109 was effectively banned from running south of Doncaster with 2 engines out in its stint as a 4 car
Really? I rode 109 to Doncaster from London once in 2019. A few months later it was back in its 5 coach formation after with 113’s MSO.

bnsf734

Interestingly I rode in 180109 last week and despite all the side numbers ending xxxx09 the car numbers above the doors inside the car I travelled in ended in xxx113 ! This was in the car borrowed from 113 whilst in Hull Trains service several years ago. I wonder if this an official renumbering or an unofficial one when 180109 received EMR livery?

nottsnurse

Unsure as to whether you’ve found out yet, but they’ve been in and out of Doncaster and Crofton for repairs - as with Hull Trains, their poor reliability has been plaguing EMR… :s
They certainly are unreliable.

I travel between Nottingham and Leicester regularly, often getting the 1750 London-bound train which is rostered for a 180. They've been replaced at short-notice a few times with a 222 and last night the 180 I was on had one engine out and one (beneath me) that I could only describe as "surging" and struggling.

It's a shame because, when they work, they're nicer than the 222s.

43102EMR

Established Member
They certainly are unreliable.

I travel between Nottingham and Leicester regularly, often getting the 1750 London-bound train which is rostered for a 180. They've been replaced at short-notice a few times with a 222 and last night the 180 I was on had one engine out and one (beneath me) that I could only describe as "surging" and struggling.

It's a shame because, when they work, they're nicer than the 222s.
That always brings about the question - how come GC have been able to bring reliability to an acceptable level whilst EMR are struggling? Seems as though Etches could take a lesson or two from Heaton…

_toommm_

Established Member
That always brings about the question - how come GC have been able to bring reliability to an acceptable level whilst EMR are struggling? Seems as though Etches could take a lesson or two from Heaton…

I suspect it’s familiarity over time with the units many foibles. I’ve seen it said on here that the 175s were originally very unreliable, but because they’ve been maintained by Chester for a long long time they’ve now made a complete u-turn.

43102EMR

Established Member
I suspect it’s familiarity over time with the units many foibles. I’ve seen it said on here that the 175s were originally very unreliable, but because they’ve been maintained by Chester for a long long time they’ve now made a complete u-turn.
The weird thing is the reliability problems with Hull Trains were because of a switch to Crofton from OOC, which is where the GC units used on West Riding services are maintained - that’s my biggest question mark here…

DoubleO

GC units were used a lot less heavily than the HT units, they also had heavy maintenance undertaken at Heaton where there was (and maybe still is) a decent core of tech staff who still know the units pretty well.

Kneedown

Established Member
I don't suppose the TMS gets many updates these days
I think the quoted cost may be prohibitive. We asked for a tweak to make the screen stay on for 20secs longer (it times out and goes black after only a few seconds) and were told it would cost in the thousands to do that little thing.

Roast Veg

Established Member
That sounds about right. It's the direct salary of one person for a few weeks, plus a bit extra for risk mitigation.

DannyMich2018

Last Friday both diagrams were operating for EMR as I took the 14.18 from Leicester(13.05 St Pancras) to Nottingham. Do seem to be working better now. No steamed up windows like 222s and much nicer and brighter inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.