• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 185 Autocoupler Collar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Quick question and I'm sure someone will answer this in a few words but what is the fluorescent "collar" that the 185's seem to be currently (well, were last week at least) sporting over their autocouplers?

See picture below showing what I mean :)

Attachments

• DSC01102.JPG
    DSC01102.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 137
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

frequent flyer

I'm by no means an expert, but I noticed these last year. They were put all the way over the coupler in the snow and looked a bit like a yellow bag - i'd assume this was to provide them with some protection during poor weather. Perhaps they've put them on now so they know where they are when they need them.

Last edited:

Barrett M95

I agree with the above. Looks like a winter protection measure. Prevent ice build-up on exposed coupler heads. Causes many many problems for drivers and depot staff alike.

I presume the idea is that the collar is fixed at the rear somehow and it can be pulled over the coupler head at a moments notice when weather gets severe.

mbonwick

Established Member
They're bags to protect the couplers during snow/icy weather.
TPE are making sure they're ahead of schedule in fitting them this year.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
TPE are preparing for the winter weather and are being very cautious. After all, we don't want a repear of 185144's collision do we!?

Crossover

Established Member
That makes sense - didn't even cross my mind that they may be bags in disguise :P
Thanks guys :)

DanTrainMan185 - Indeed they are, although I can't help but think that bags or not, train vs big wall of ice will only have one outcome.....and the ice probably won't lose :P

Nym

Established Member
I beleive there are countermeasures in place against that this year, the're going to position politicians stategically near the vent shafts and make them talk to disperse the ice in small quantities before it can form dangerously large crystals.

Status
Not open for further replies.