• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

bella

Was there an easy way to determine from a photo the front end of a Class 21 loco from the rear?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

keith1879

There was a number 1 end and a number 2 end. I think the number 1 end had the radiator opening close to it (seen from the side). Not sure if you could tell them apart from end-on however.

birchesgreen

Established Member
One end of the loco has access step holds up the side (and in some locos a recess under the cab window for a tablet catcher(?)). I don't know what that end was called though. I've had a look at a few of my books and can't see any noticeable differences from the front.

delt1c

Established Member
Both ends had a recess for tablet catcher, only way to differentiate No 1 and No 2 end was from the side radiator grills. Full on front end was same both ends

birchesgreen

Established Member
Really? Photos i have seemed to show the tablet catcher only at the steps end, mind you it would make more sense to have that at both!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Really? Photos i have seemed to show the tablet catcher only at the steps end, mind you it would make more sense to have that at both!

Think about it. The purpose of the tablet catcher was to exchange tablets at higher speed than manually, so irrespective of which way the loco stood on the track it would still need an operational catcher - for the short period they actually used them !!!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Think about it. The purpose of the tablet catcher was to exchange tablets at higher speed than manually, so irrespective of which way the loco stood on the track it would still need an operational catcher - for the short period they actually used them !!!

Yes i had a lazy sunday afternoon brain fart there

Status
Not open for further replies.