• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 222 refurbishment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
I’m almost (but not quite) disappointed to learn the 222s are finally getting the promised seat refresh - whilst the work is badly needed, it does raise concerns about how long it might be before we might see 810s in widespread service. The 810s were originally going to all be in service by December 2022 - now the internal seat refurb of the 222s won’t be done until March 2024 and goodness knows when the full 810 fleet will be available.

ChrisC

Established Member
Are the cushions going to be replaced as well or just the covers?
I was wondering exactly the same thing. I know the seats on the 222‘s are so dirty and desperately need new covers but many of them are also very uncomfortable because all the padding has gone out of the cushion. Some of the seats in standard class feel like you are sitting on a hard frame with no cushion in the middle.

gabrielhj07

Does EMR have any plans to clean the outsides of the 222s?
I've noticed a recent improvement in the cleanliness of the exteriors - they don't look as neglected as they did 6 months ago.

See photos - 21st October vs 20th May

Attachments

• IMG_7216.jpeg
    IMG_7216.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2144.jpeg
    IMG_2144.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 341

duffield

Established Member
I've noticed a recent improvement in the cleanliness of the exteriors - they don't look as neglected as they did 6 months ago.

Yes, now I think about it, it's a while since I was on one with (say) really filthy windows. I understood the carriage wash was broken, or rather not working properly, earlier this year. Maybe it's been fixed?

m79900

You say that, but I travelled on one the other day and it, and all the others I saw, were in an absolute state.

InTheEastMids

You say that, but I travelled on one the other day and it, and all the others I saw, were in an absolute state.
Went on 4 different 222s this week and my perception was similar, with all 4 having a generous coating of "DfT privacy glass".

TheHSRailFan

Tweet put out today by 'Today's Railways UK' shows what was already shown here as well as a little insight into the reasoning of the referb.

A £3 million programme to refurbish the @EastMidRailway 222s has started, completely replacing the Standard Class seat covers with new neutral grey upholstery. As well as being much-needed this will get them ready for their “life after EMR” when the 810s enter service next year.
It feels like the ROSCO is eager to get them going again after EMR. But I want to know who made the call for the referb? (ROSCO, TOC or DFT?) and where exactly does the ROSCO want to send them after EMR?

Energy

Established Member
It feels like the ROSCO is eager to get them going again after EMR. But I want to know who made the call for the referb? (ROSCO, TOC or DFT?) and where exactly does the ROSCO want to send them after EMR?
At a guess EMR wanted something done to the seat covers falling apart, DfT agrees but doesn't want to put its cash into trains going off-lease, ROSCO is willing to do seat covers but wants a neutral colour.

I wouldn't expect the ROSCO to do it completely of their own initiative.

bib

A more official version of the info about the seat refresh

• Three million pound project will see more than 5,500 seats refurbished
  • Provides a great improvement for EMR customers and refreshes fleet for its life after the Midland Main Line
  • First improved units will be in service later this month
  • Old seat materials will be recycled
East Midlands Railway (EMR) has launched a £3 million project to completely replace the standard class seat covers and foam padding used in its current Intercity fleet.
The project, which will see 5,272 standard-class seats and 243 tip-up seats refurbished, is a significant investment in the 222-fleet and will benefit UK rail customers for years to come, even as the fleet eventually transitions to life after EMR when the Aurora trains arrive next year.
The seats will be changed to a neutral grey colour and will be refurbished during routine maintenance without the need to take any trains out of service.
EMR customers will begin to benefit from the upgrade this month, as the first units with the refurbished seats travel up and down the Midland Main Line.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
...£3 million project ...
The project, which will see 5,272 standard-class seats and 243 tip-up seats refurbished...

£3m seems a lot, but that works out at £544 per seat, which doesn't seem totally ridiculous.

Good to see that it's covers and foam padding though.

duffield

Established Member
It's going to complicate the current very simple "blue seats, First Class, red seats Standard Class" announcements. Staff will need to remember which ones apply on their current set throughout the day. Or Change the message to "Blue/not-blue". :E

MCR247

Established Member
It's going to complicate the current very simple "blue seats, First Class, red seats Standard Class" announcements. Staff will need to remember which ones apply on their current set throughout the day. Or Change the message to "Blue/not-blue". :E
Technically that started happening when the 222s were reformed under EMR to make the /1s 5 car and reduce the number of 7 cars

dk1

Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing. To be honest I thought it had started and they were just using old EMT red offcuts, as have seen some bits of fabric that look both a bit cleaner and a lot less well fitted than usual.

Does EMR have any plans to clean the outsides of the 222s?

And to bring it back on topic...
Does EMR have any plans to clean the outsides of the 810s?

Wasn’t there something about a whole new wash plant at Etches Park in MR magazine recently? Said something about how exterior cleanliness should greatly improve once the multi £m decor transformation for the 810s is fully operational.

D365

Veteran Member
Wasn’t there something about a whole new wash plant at Etches Park in MR magazine recently? Said something about how exterior cleanliness should greatly improve once the multi £m decor transformation for the 810s is fully operational.
As far as I understand, it's just an enhancement of the existing facility. Not that the enhancement isn't needed, mind.

dk1

Veteran Member
As far as I understand, it's just an enhancement of the existing facility. Not that the enhancement isn't needed, mind.

The total costs of the work is around £35m. Improvements include fuelling and washing facilities as well as extension to the North Shed. The first £15m phase was won by Buckingham Group but after going into administration this year I think Kier has taken on this work.

Skymonster

Established Member
The more I think about this the more it annoys the heck out of me, especially with such a fuss is being made about them being prepared for their next operator… Talk about a kick in the teeth for regular EMR Intercity customers. We’ve put up with the filthy interiors of the 222s for ages, with EMR making and breaking earlier commitments to sort them out. Only now, shortly before they’re off to pastures new, they’re getting a refurb. It demonstrates the contempt EMR has had for the people who spend their hard earned money to use the trains, and whilst I accept that there may be an element of a greater power at work behind the scenes here, having left it this long the funds would have been much better spent on the disgusting interiors of the 360s and 170s that are staying at EMR.

InTheEastMids

The more I think about this the more it annoys the heck out of me, especially with such a fuss is being made about them being prepared for their next operator… Talk about a kick in the teeth for regular EMR Intercity customers. We’ve put up with the filthy interiors of the 222s for ages, with EMR making and breaking earlier commitments to sort them out. Only now, shortly before they’re off to pastures new, they’re getting a refurb. It demonstrates the contempt EMR has had for the people who spend their hard earned money to use the trains, and whilst I accept that there may be an element of a greater power at work behind the scenes here, having left it this long the funds would have been much better spent on the disgusting interiors of the 360s and 170s that are staying at EMR.
This is a valid point. Regardless of the intent of the initiative, it does support the idea that there is a view somewhere that decent trains are for other people outside the East Midlands.

I think the only non-knackered-looking EMR interior I've sat in since the HSTs went (i.e. pre-pandemic) was last week on one of the 170s (lurid green - ex-Southern?). Is there any other operator, where the interiors of *all* of their fleets are knackered? XC perhaps.

QSK19

Here here - exactly the point I have made many times. And I dare say many others think the same too!

I do recognise that EMR are very reliable for getting passengers from A to B (you only have to look at Avanti and TPE!); but that’s no excuse for the poor condition of its rolling stock.

I think the only non-knackered-looking EMR interior I've sat in since the HSTs went (i.e. pre-pandemic) was last week on one of the 170s (lurid green - ex-Southern?). Is there any other operator, where the interiors of *all* of their fleets are knackered? XC perhaps.
The GWR 800 that I was on a few months was looking quite ropy, both in terms of the interior and paintwork. Let’s hope the 810s are a genuine improvement on the 80x! But I do acknowledge that you stated all the TOCs stock, not parts of it.

I think a reason for EMR being in such a poor state of affairs in terms of its stock is that it missed the boat before the punitive spending approach by the DfT in the post Covid-world. EMR knew that the 222s would be hanging around for several years and must have known what traction it was getting for its Connect and Regional operations (the TfW 170s and retaining the 158s aside); so it could/should have got refurbishment contracts locked in before 2020. AFAIK, the 810 deal had been signed off pre-Covid otherwise the DfT would have cut the spec down significantly (possibilities being Sophia seating, downgraded power sockets, downgraded PIS, no Wifi). Sister TOCs GA and WMR got their orders in when quality was a requirement; but EMR was a victim of bad timing and the stock has paid the price. The 222 mini refurb is the best that EMR will get for a while (810s aside).

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
The total costs of the work is around £35m. Improvements include fuelling and washing facilities as well as extension to the North Shed. The first £15m phase was won by Buckingham Group but after going into administration this year I think Kier has taken on this work.
From what I understand, Buckingham got as far as topping out the shed. It sounds like Kier has picked up the rest of the work to get Road 0 ready.

dosxuk

Established Member
How much of this is due to the standard contract clause requiring the TOC to hand back the stock to the ROSCO in a reasonable condition?

Highly likely that they'll be heading north to ScotRail to allow the earlier withdrawal of the HST fleet. There's been plenty of speculation about this move for sometime now on various rail forums and also internally at ScotRail, with people that are well placed to know what's going on hinting that they'll move to ScotRail.

MCR247

Established Member
Highly likely that they'll be heading north to ScotRail to allow the earlier withdrawal of the HST fleet. There's been plenty of speculation about this move for sometime now on various rail forums and also internally at ScotRail, with people that are well placed to know what's going on hinting that they'll move to ScotRail.
The whole flesh?