• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 gauge clearing & a process for (slightly) wider trains generally

BogiePicker

Another gauging question.

Apparently the D stock on which the Class 230 is based is ever so slightly wider than the widest which see service on the main network. Only about a inch or so, but still. (9ft 4 vs. 9ft 3, or 2.85 vs 2.82 cm) It is, to be fair, a rather shorter vehicle than the average commuter, a couple of metres shorter. I understand that the system is fairly conservative and doesn't like even the smallest of exceedances.

Qs

- I'd be interested to know what was involved in getting this cleared for the relevant sections on which it will operate.
- In principle, could this lead to articulated vehicles with short bodyshells and short 'virtual' bogie centres (by e.g. having longer bogies or extending pivot points deeper into the body) which are even wider than the average 20m vehicle. Or even wider-bodied intercity articulated vehicles; as I understand it, the AGV EMU has similar vehicle lengths to the 230 but is of course articulated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums