• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cambrian359

If there are 5 sets but only 2 needed to run the service why is it such an issue when one fails? Can’t they be swapped at the earliest possible convenience like any other service?
Apologies if it’s a silly question, my knowledge is limited.I’ve only just started following things again after a 3 year gap.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pacef8

At some point the 777s will hopefully launch if the welsh gov give up on the line . Electric all the way and i,m sure stadler must be chomping at the bit to have a sneaky test run in the night

Zontar

If there are 5 sets but only 2 needed to run the service why is it such an issue when one fails? Can’t they be swapped at the earliest possible convenience like any other service?
Apologies if it’s a silly question, my knowledge is limited.I’ve only just started following things again after a 3 year gap.
I think you answered your own question. If they're struggling to get two out, the rest of the fleet is goosed.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At some point the 777s will hopefully launch if the welsh gov give up on the line . Electric all the way and i,m sure stadler must be chomping at the bit to have a sneaky test run in the night
Somehow I think that is way off reality.
Merseyrail still has its own mountain to climb before considering wider excursions.
If the 230s don't work it will be back to 150s or maybe 197s.

L401CJF

Established Member
As far as I know only 3 of them are able to go out. Im only aware of 008/010 actually being used in service so far - 010 being the regular. 009 seems to be regular on training. 006 is knackered. Haven't seen 007 at all, presume it's in the shed at Birkenhead?

I'm not sure what the issues are with them at the moment. On the bodyside they have 2 external indicator lights on each coach. Orange is the usual. The white one lights up if there's a fault detected in that coach, smoke detector activated etc. I know they've had some issues where a fault light pops up in the cab and the white bodyside light comes on, an issue with the WSP (Wheel slip protection) system. A quick flick and reset of the WSP MCBs make it go away - my driver only knew this by chance as a fitter mentioned it to him once - he tried it and it worked and we continued. The fault lights in the cab are quite vague so if you get a fault plus white hazard light it doesn't really narrow it down - it could be anything. I'd imagine a lot of the issues are down to time wasted diagnosing faults by process of elimination.

The gen sets also have faults, and they can be reset. I believe they can also run with 1 genset not working but I'm not sure if it stays out in service or goes to the depot asap in that case. I'm also told if you get a low battery warning or something like that you're screwed. I suppose some of it will be crew not used to fault finding on them which may well declare a failure unnecessarily (or take longer to find and rectify). I'll ask around and see if anybody can give me some more in depth info!

Last edited:

D821

As far as I know only 3 of them are able to go out. Im only aware of 008/010 actually being used in service so far - 010 being the regular. 009 seems to be regular on training. 006 is knackered. Haven't seen 007 at all, presume it's in the shed at Birkenhead?

I'm not sure what the issues are with them at the moment. On the bodyside they have 2 external indicator lights on each coach. Orange is the usual. The white one lights up if there's a fault detected in that coach, smoke detector activated etc. I know they've had some issues where a fault light pops up in the cab and the white bodyside light comes on, an issue with the WSP (Wheel slip protection) system. A quick flick and reset of the WSP MCBs make it go away - my driver only knew this by chance as a fitter mentioned it to him once - he tried it and it worked and we continued. The fault lights in the cab are quite vague so if you get a fault plus white hazard light it doesn't really narrow it down - it could be anything. I'd imagine a lot of the issues are down to time wasted diagnosing faults by process of elimination.

The gen sets also have faults, and they can be reset. I believe they can also run with 1 genset not working but I'm not sure if it stays out in service or goes to the depot asap in that case. I'm also told if you get a low battery warning or something like that you're screwed. I suppose some of it will be crew not used to fault finding on them which may well declare a failure unnecessarily (or take longer to find and rectify). I'll ask around and see if anybody can give me some more in depth info!
006 doesn't appear to have moved for over a month. 007 was parked up outside the depot this evening when I was going home.

Dan G

Thank you, that's very interesting. I would love to hear anything else you find out.

emoaconr

It's not about Welsh Govt 'giving up' - they are supportive of bringing in the 777s and would most likely contribute financially to such a project, having a working relationship with Merseytravel. I don't think we'll see anything which breaks up this service, I feel it's an 'all or nothing' investment choice.

Woods

I've heard that it's not so much that 006 is knackered, it's just that it has become a bit of a Christmas tree for the others. As the first unit to have been delivered, unfortunately it then got robbed to feed the later arrivals and is now awaiting its turn to be re-commissioned. I believe that it's largely due to the ongoing mod programme, some of which is about reliability mods but some of which is due to variations introduced into the original contract between TfW and Vivarail, such as removing the end doors in one of the cars from passenger use (because of short platforms), and modifying the cycle area(?). There were numerous other mods to do if I remember correctly. TfW also insisted on a complete wiring audit of every unit at one point, which takes time and may still be working through. Not to mention the battery raft mods. I know I'm biaised towards Vivarail (as was) but there was an awful lot of indecision and changes earlier in the project on the part of TfW, which ended up requiring downstream design changes, and the units are still suffering the legacy of that today. If there is one massive lesson from the TfW 230 project, it would be that the spec should have been nailed down much, much earlier in the project. The lesson was learned with the 484s, the design of which came after the TfW 230s, and the general success of the 484s is testament to that. But also because they don't have gensets....

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They need to get them working on their own territory first!

Invincible

And once again i have come here to say that it’s failed. Ive tried not to comment anymore because people think i’m being negative but it has failed every day this week. We can talk all day about if they can do the journey in time but they have to be reliable first don’t forget they don’t come out at all at the weekend either
Do you know what the failures were?, are they fixable like the recent brake problem?

sharpinf

Im only aware of 008/010 actually being used in service so far - 010 being the regular. 009 seems to be regular on training.
Just to quickly say 009 was in passenger service on Tuesday 16/05 in the morning, losing time until it went into Birkenhead at 1pm having worked 2F66 in service from Wrexham

Thank you for the information on what some of the issues they're having

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I see @Woods mentions the cycle space is being modified. This is a good thing in my opinion, as the space on 230010 was simply insufficient. I attach a photo to show just how small it is, certainly not fit for purpose!

Does this mean 230010 will have it modified, or is this one already done?

I do not intend this to come across as a negative view of the 230s, I still like them and want to get back to North Wales for more of them.

Attachments

• E832F4B0-6DD8-419E-BF06-87609C80612B.jpeg
    E832F4B0-6DD8-419E-BF06-87609C80612B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 106

alm37

007 currently showing in RTT as en route Birkenhead North to Wrexham to work 1011 back to Bidston.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Just to say I imagine that a failed unit is swapped at the earliest convenience or even simply as soon as possible. But if one unit fails then it will take time for the the errant unit to get out of the way - return to depot (or siding) while a replacement to come out. So they are not necessarily not running a service after a failure but there will be a gap.

I do wonder if the gen sets are suffering too much. But there is also the factor that unfamiliar drivers will fail a train on something that an experienced driver can get round. I bet the fire alarm system is very sensitive !. In an ideal world there would not be spurious re-settable faults but in this day and age it seems to be a feature of every new train, technology and computer operating system (I am looking at you MS Windows).

CaergwrleKen

Another shambles today with trains cancelled. The last i heard from the crews is that 230006 won’t be out for a long time and 007 needed repairs. I think this is the first day 007 has been out since they started in service but it’s only on the crew trainer so maybe it’s not ok for passengers yet.

JetStream

Another shambles today with trains cancelled. The last i heard from the crews is that 230006 won’t be out for a long time and 007 needed repairs. I think this is the first day 007 has been out since they started in service but it’s only on the crew trainer so maybe it’s not ok for passengers yet.

I don't know if 006 is the one that's been cannibalised?
My main concern with the 230s is that whilst the theory/interiors are sound, especially compared to 150s, is the amount of money that's been thrown at the project - tens of millions is what I've heard (including training etc).

It just sounds like TfW/WG are in so deep they can't back out now.

Dai Corner

Established Member
My main concern with the 230s is that whilst the theory/interiors are sound, especially compared to 150s, is the amount of money that's been thrown at the project - tens of millions is what I've heard (including training etc).

It just sounds like TfW/WG are in so deep they can't back out now.
The 'sunk cost fallacy', whereby a person or organisation is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That being the case, there are only four units instead of five that can be counted upon to fulfil the service obligations.

The 'sunk cost fallacy', whereby a person or organisation is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.
The old adage that the railways run for the benefit of the companies and not the passengers seems to apply in this instance.

Woods

Beneficial to whom though? If TfW did just give up on the 230s at this point, would that actually be better (for passengers) than battling on trying to improve their reliability? If they just gave up, like WMT did with their 230s on the Marston Vale line as soon as Vivarail went bust, the Borderlands Line could well be looking at another prolonged period of semi-permanent bustitution. I'm sure that TfW don't want to be spending this much time and money on trying to make the 230s work, but they've chosen to give it a go. And it rather feels like TfW is damned if they do try, and damned if they don't bother. Spare a thought for the team at Birkenhead trying, in good faith, to make this work.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Beneficial to whom though? If TfW did just give up on the 230s at this point, would that actually be better (for passengers) than battling on trying to improve their reliability? If they just gave up, like WMT did with their 230s on the Marston Vale line as soon as Vivarail went bust, the Borderlands Line could well be looking at another prolonged period of semi-permanent bustitution. I'm sure that TfW don't want to be spending this much time and money on trying to make the 230s work, but they've chosen to give it a go. And it rather feels like TfW is damned if they do try, and damned if they don't bother. Spare a thought for the team at Birkenhead trying, in good faith, to make this work.
Sure, Vivarail and the Birkenhead team have done their best, but there's apparently a better solution available in the 777s.

Politics come into as well in this case, of course. The Welsh Government won't want to hand over to an English operator.

But what's better for the passengers who just want to get where they need to go reliably and on time?

tomuk

Established Member
Politics come into as well in this case, of course. The Welsh Government won't want to hand over to an English operator.
That is completely wrong TfW have a very good relationship with Merseytravel arguably the 230s were ordered as stop gap \ passenger number improver as part of the longer term aim to extend MerseyRail to Wrexham

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Sure, Vivarail and the Birkenhead team have done their best, but there's apparently a better solution available in the 777s.
But what's better for the passengers who just want to get where they need to go reliably and on time?
That'll be the same 777s that also don't seem to manage to go a day without failing? Not quite sure how that helps with the latter part of your post

Techniquest

Veteran Member
All will come in good time with the 230s, of that I am sure :)

@Lewisham2221 Absolutely! I couldn't have summarised my view on that quite so efficiently. Introducing 777s right now would just be insane, even the infrastructure was all in place and the crews ready to go.

It's a shame the 230s are still having multiple problems, but things generally seem to be getting better. I've a lot more faith in a 230 turning up than a 777 I can say that much!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
That is completely wrong TfW have a very good relationship with Merseytravel arguably the 230s were ordered as stop gap \ passenger number improver as part of the longer term aim to extend MerseyRail to Wrexham
Well it won't be using 3rd rail power.
Much of the line has been relaid using steel sleepers which are incompatible with 3rd rail electrification.
There is a large stockpile of them close to Bidston, waiting to go in.

You are right about the relationship, but that doesn't find the money for 777s to work to Wrexham.
A 150/197 solution is more likely in the short term, once there is enough TfW stock.

Caaardiff

Veering off topic but what configuration of FLIRT could work to Wrexham?
TFW could order 5 more Class 231's which would have made much more sense than the 230's. Stadler would be able to maintain them and would have the commonality with the 231's and 756's in the South. Further down the line if Merseyrail take over the line with 777's, they can easily be relocated to cover routes in the South.
I'm not sure if they will have the fuel range to do a full days diagram, but it wouldn't be far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.