• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liverpool 507

Presume this is 230008?

Guess it will stay at Wrexham General until further notice? The other two (006 & 007) are hibernating inside the shed at Birkenhead North and I doubt there’s room for another.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
They’ve also just told us we all need to learn Piccadilly to the airport now too as network rail don’t want us taking up the mayfield loop. So that’s all red link and the starter link drivers tied up for a while.

At least half the Chester-Manchester services run through to the Airport already (9 services).
Isn't that enough to keep the route valid for train crew?
One of them runs via Northwich and reverses at Piccadilly.

craigybagel

Established Member
At least half the Chester-Manchester services run through to the Airport already (9 services).
Isn't that enough to keep the route valid for train crew?
One of them runs via Northwich and reverses at Piccadilly.
Only one of the three links at Chester sign the airport (which is also the only link that signs Northwich). If all Manchester services go through to the airport, the other two links will need to sign it. I think Holyhead will also need to sign it as well - which although not directly connected to the 230s may have a knock on effect as it will further reduce the numbers of drivers available for training if HHD jobs need covering in the meantime whilst they learn the airport.

Bob Price

Looks like testing is back on, 545M en route to Wrexham Central running a few minutes late. Don't know which unit.

6Gtraincrew

Looks like testing is back on, 545M en route to Wrexham Central running a few minutes late. Don't know which unit.
I'd guess it's 008 as I think 006 and 007 have been accepted by TFW and there are no TFW drivers who sign them.

6Gtraincrew

TfW haven't accepted any units to date - all this is Vivarail.
Okey dokie, I stand corrected. I just presumed that with 006 and 007 having had plenty of runs and them not coming out to play for about a month now, that Vivarail had done all they wanted with them.

Bob Price

230009 on long testing today to Stourbridge Junction and back. Looks like it may have failed at SJ or just running back to LM later today. Encouraging signs for the project

Bob Price

Paths in use this morning on local test runs. Guessing it's 009 unless it's the Hydrogen unit out again. Nothing still on the Borderlands from the schedules.

sw1ller

Established Member
We’ve had a rough idea of when we’ll be starting traction training. March/April time. I wouldn’t take this as concrete obviously but it’s welcome news.

Bob Price

We’ve had a rough idea of when we’ll be starting traction training. March/April time. I wouldn’t take this as concrete obviously but it’s welcome news.
Guess all 5 will be delivered by then and planning for May introduction?

sw1ller

Established Member
That’s my guess. Still not holding my breath though due to Covid.

So is the current plan for them just to be used on the borderline or is the Chester crewe shuttle still a thing

Jez

Established Member
What is the plan long term for the Conwy Valley and Chester/Crewe shuttle once the 150s and 153s eventually go?

Bob Price

230009 on long runs today, out to Stourbridge etc.

Been wondering why there have been no runs scheduled over the past few days. Seems the first 484 has been shipped today so guess their focus is on that.

Last edited:

ADHDTog

Just been past Birkenhead North TMD (around 1330) and there appears to be a class 230 there.

Bob Price

Everything seems to have slowed down. No testing on the Borderlands and 009 on limited test runs. 010 can't be far off completion.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I think Vivarail are working on priorities like how many 484s can they get out to the Isle of Wight before Christmas and the line is closed for engineering work. The 484s are transferred from road to rail at Sandown and then driven on temporary battery power to St Johns. The Island Line is going to need 3 units to start the service and so far they have just one. If TfW are talking about May for the 230s to come into service then their priority has slipped down.

Status
Not open for further replies.