• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fodphil

Could anyone supply a definitive list as too what is stored at Gascoigne Wood.
Any help would be much appreciated

warwickshire

On Moderation
321431 321445 321402 321405
321439 321443 321408 321444.
X8
What happens to these I don't know.
Most likely withdrawal.
Sadly been out to exposure in the weather to long.
These are the ones at gascoigne wood

fodphil

321431 321445 321402 321405
321439 321443 321408 321444.
X8
What happens to these I don't know.
Most likely withdrawal.
Sadly been out to exposure in the weather to long.
These are the ones at gascoigne wood
Thanks
I've just gone past GW and they look in a sorry state

warwickshire

On Moderation
Thanks
I've just gone past GW and they look in a sorry state
You're welcome arrived between April to may 2021.
Some off the ones that went into warm store due to covid early January at harwich sidings that never returned back into service.
I do suspect these are going for withdrawal and scrap.
Also only 321432 remains at worksop.
321419 321429 321407 321428 321332.
Now at wolverton for further information.
Iff interested for these as well.
That you.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Wait so you mean like their paint and stuff has all come off?
The weather will make them look worn.
And faded.
However underneath and component wise. Water ingress will most likely get in and most likely will not run again.
Unless to the scrap yard .
Two years ago it was the northern rail Pacers that was in that location.
Also the ex lner hsts went there also before going to east Midlands railways.
They took ages to be made acceptable ie being left in that location also.
Being in storage for too long. Not good.
However looking like withdrawal.
Sad shame.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
This is the problem when rolling stock is left outside at the mercy of the elements and not moved. Like cars, they need to be driven from time to time. They are also non-prm compliant and thus, will never run again under their own power. They were excellent trains when I started commuting on them in 1989

adc82140

Established Member
The Leaseco must have some hope of further use. The storage will be costing them, and as we've seen the ones they didn't want went straight to Sims.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
The Leaseco must have some hope of further use. The storage will be costing them, and as we've seen the ones they didn't want went straight to Sims.
They are non-PRM compliant and the only use they'll get if the Leaseco pay for expensive rebuilds and put them somewhere else, or sideline them for conversion to hydrogen trains

I'm fairly confident they won't be working again unless under hydrogen power

Wivenswold

Established Member
They're fit for scrap. It'll take a sudden increase in passenger numbers for all of the imminently off-lease, PRM compliant units. 30 x 379s still to have a new home, 350s, 365s, even the remaining 317s and 321 Renatus units will be of more use for passenger services than some moss-covered 321s. As for the remaining withdrawn 321s being used for more parcel units, maybe, but unlikely.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
They're fit for scrap. It'll take a sudden increase in passenger numbers for all of the imminently off-lease, PRM compliant units. 30 x 379s still to have a new home, 350s, 365s, even the remaining 317s and 321 Renatus units will be of more use for passenger services than some moss-covered 321s. As for the remaining withdrawn 321s being used for more parcel units, maybe, but unlikely.
Indeed, and far more sensible to prioritise use of the 21st century built units. Someone upthread said the trains were nowhere near life expired, but that is seriously overestimating their lifespan.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
You shouldn’t really include 365s in your argument anymore, clearly they’re leading the way to the scrap pile already…

adc82140

Established Member
They are non-PRM compliant and the only use they'll get if the Leaseco pay for expensive rebuilds and put them somewhere else, or sideline them for conversion to hydrogen trains

I'm fairly confident they won't be working again unless under hydrogen power
I wonder if they are being held back as parts donors for the examples that are being converted to parcels or hydrogen use, or even for Scotrail's class 320s?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
So, my visit to Clacton today saw units 441+447 in the carriage road adjacent to Platform 4. Both had their pans up and as I mentioned in a previous post, 447 has had some below-underframe attention

On the same road was 430 which appeared to be coupled to 322.485. However, 430 had its pan down so I wonder if this is next to be stood down.

427 and a Renatus was in Platform 2 which I think had worked up from Liverpool Street. Not sure what the issue was but there was a last-minute platform change for the next departure to London and 427/Renatus shunted off towards the depot. This was worked by 433 and a Renatus that had come out of the depot

433 and 333 were visible in the depot stabling point yesterday

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Showing my ignorance here, but how significant is a pan being up or down? Surely it takes just a push of a button to raise or lower it and therefore whether it’s up or down cannot contribute much to whether or not it’s about to be withdrawn?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Showing my ignorance here, but how significant is a pan being up or down? Surely it takes just a push of a button to raise or lower it and therefore whether it’s up or down cannot contribute much to whether or not it’s about to be withdrawn?
Agree
For the record last Wednesday 10th November 2021 at soho L.M.D Depot in Birmingham a west Midlands railways 323 had its pan down to.
Maybe 321430 is being swapped over with 321441. Because 321441 has been on top off 321340 for a fortnight to three weeks or so.
321441 has moved into a sidings to be available for use.
However in recent fortnight.
Maybe something has changed relevant to something because the 0900 1200 1500 from braintree diagramm working involving a nonprm/ retanus 321 working is a 5 car 720.
All we can do is wait and see what the final weeks bring us.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
I have rarely seen stabled 321's in the depot with their pans down (in latter times anyway), but I'm happy to be corrected. Of course, it might be shunted into the shed tomorrow for attention. Happy to be corrected if so.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Indeed, and far more sensible to prioritise use of the 21st century built units. Someone upthread said the trains were nowhere near life expired, but that is seriously overestimating their lifespan.
For sure the 379's and 350's need to be rehomed but if the 321 bodies were corrosion free a Renatus conversion would have provided a good unit to have run another 10-20 years. Whilst its great that there has been investment in new units we mustn't overlook the energy and thus carbon that goes into producing a new train vs one that has already been built. Had there been a rolling electrification programme I believe these units would have been retained but we are where we are and I hope at least the Renatus are kept in warm store just in case we decide to get serious about electrification.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
On the same road was 430 which appeared to be coupled to 322.485. However, 430 had its pan down so I wonder if this is next to be stood down.
If it’s infront of another 2 sets and coupled to a PRM unit is a bigger indication than any that its there because it hasn’t been diagrammed today. As said already, units are rotating so nothing is “next to be stood down” they’re all going at once

class321

The weather will make them look worn.
And faded.
However underneath and component wise. Water ingress will most likely get in and most likely will not run again.
Unless to the scrap yard .
Two years ago it was the northern rail Pacers that was in that location.
Also the ex lner hsts went there also before going to east Midlands railways.
They took ages to be made acceptable ie being left in that location also.
Being in storage for too long. Not good.
However looking like withdrawal.
Sad shame.
No, its started to fade and moss is growing on them

No, its started to fade and moss is growing on them
What a waste of the 321's. Greater Anglia leaving the 321's to turn to dust. They should do it to the 720's not the 321's.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
What a waste of the 321's.
Not these silly comments again:rolleyes:.
What a waste of the 321's. Greater Anglia leaving the 321's to turn to dust. They should do it to the 720's not the 321's.
I like the non-PRM 321 A LOT more than your typical railway enthusiast but even I can see the reality that 321s are ALL getting scrapped and the class will be a distant memory in 10 years time bar a gutted out driving if you’re lucky. Typically “scrap the new, save the old” enthusiast remarks

warwickshire

On Moderation
Yes agree.
The space getting down a 720 between the seats is absolutely disgusting and you can get trapped.
Sad to see 321s withdrawn myself.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread is for for the discussion of Class 321 withdrawal updates.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else class 321 related they are welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate forum section

thanks

Bikeman78

Established Member
Supposedly. Whenever I have ridden in those 3 (321/9) sets the toilet has been locked out of use...
Toilets are a problem on several types of train. The 317s are similar and recently I travelled on various 377/2 and 377/6 all of which had every toilet out of use.