• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 PBC Unit and PIS system

WMasterJedi

I now have it all together and working!
I do need to remove the graffiti.

Attachments

• IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

365 Networker

Where is the data for all of the destinations stored? Is there a hard disc? If so, the announcement files may also be on it. Do you know if your parts came from one of the ex-Connex units - 365501-516? If so, the old Connex destinations may still be available.

WMasterJedi

Where is the data for all of the destinations stored? Is there a hard disc? If so, the announcement files may also be on it. Do you know if your parts came from one of the ex-Connex units - 365501-516? If so, the old Connex destinations may still be available.
You would think they are stored on the main controller but no, they are stored on each display, so the exterior destination screen has the destinations stored on it and the PIS interior screen also has them stored on it.

All that the controller does is send a signal to tell them what route to do, and it doesn't actually hold any destination data itself but just sends a signal.

And to answer your other question, no its not a hard disk instead its an EPROM chip.

WMasterJedi

Unfortunately I do not own the unit containing the chips that hold the original announcement data.

IMG_5125.jpegHowever I do own the unit that contains the new announcement data.

bramling

Veteran Member
I have now put the entire display back together and taken a photo of how it looks.View attachment 156270

Is it certain this came from a 365? To me this looks more like that found on a 465, which might well account for the graffiti as the 365s didn't tend to get trashed like this on the GN route.

Not to detract from anything, I'm really enjoying reading your updates.

It would certainly be brilliant if it would be somehow possible to get some announcements off the system.

WMasterJedi

Is it certain this came from a 365? To me this looks more like that found on a 465, which might well account for the graffiti as the 365s didn't tend to get trashed like this on the GN route.

It would certainly be brilliant if it would be somehow possible to get some announcements off the system.
I'm not sure, they were given to me by Peter Spokes who volunteers at the East Kent railway and as the others are from 365's I was assuming this was too.

WMasterJedi

Only problem with newer tech is that it’s harder to reverse engineer!

D365

Veteran Member
Try searching for Class 365 announcements on ”Alan Thomson Sim” website.

bramling

Veteran Member
Now the sticker on the inside says Desiro and that is somewhat correct as Desiro Cities have this exact controller in the cab. However the sticker on the outside says Class 365 specifically.

So I’m fairly sure it’s from a class 365 but they use the same PCB that’s why the inside says Desiro.

If it’s from the replacement 365 system then that would make some sense, as it dates from around the time the 700s were introduced.

I think these recordings are available as files courtesy of someone’s FOI request to Southeastern. The original 365 recordings are of more interest, especially if anyone manages to get hold of any Connex ones.

WMasterJedi

If it’s from the replacement 365 system then that would make some sense, as it dates from around the time the 700s were introduced.

I think these recordings are available as files courtesy of someone’s FOI request to Southeastern. The original 365 recordings are of more interest, especially if anyone manages to get hold of any Connex ones.
20240308_202225.pngI do know someone with some 365 EPROM chips that are labelled “south east”.

The replacement 365 recordings are the exact same files as used on the 700/707/717 trains.

As far as Connex goes, if you check the 'Master List' folder of 465 audio that Southeastern released, it does still contain the 'Thank you for travelling with Connex' message - from memory it is file number 403. I assume there were also originally 'welcome aboard this Connex service to' and 'this train is the Connex service to' files that were overwritten with the generic versions - the files in their places don't sound original.

View attachment 156305I do know someone with some 365 EPROM chips that are labelled “south east”.
It would be really something if someone manages to extract the audio from these EPROMs - I can see the 'GT North' (Great Northern) ones are labelled June '99, although it does appear the 'South East' ones are older. It will most likely be in a raw ADPCM format though.

Last edited:

WMasterJedi

It would be really something if someone manages to extract the audio from these EPROMs - I can see some of them are labelled June '99! It will most likely be in a raw ADPCM format though.
Well I’ll see if I can buy these EPROMs, dump their content and do exactly that!

WMasterJedi

The logic board PCB inside the interior PIS screen said "RS-485 Communication Interface" which is a type of serial communication.

So that's how it gets its data!

WMasterJedi

Just wanted to give an update to say that I have confirmed the purchase of a working PIS (Screen) system controller!

Hopefully in the future the one for the audio can join along with it!

365 Networker

Just wanted to give an update to say that I have confirmed the purchase of a working PIS (Screen) system controller!

Hopefully in the future the one for the audio can join along with it!
Fantastic! I very much hope to one day be able to hear those old announcements again - in high definition!

WMasterJedi

IMG_5146.jpegAn interesting update! Decided to power up my other 2 PIS screens both from 1995 and found out that it wasn’t just the screen from 92 that had the 465 message because all of them show it when powered on!

WMasterJedi

I’m presuming as they were built so similar to the 465’s they just decided to use their displays on the 365’s and didn’t bother to change the code.

WMasterJedi

View attachment 156422An interesting update! Decided to power up my other 2 PIS screens both from 1995 and found out that it wasn’t just the screen from 92 that had the 465 message because all of them show it when powered on!
The bottom left PCB is the main logic board with the microprocessor and EPROMs.

I did this as it’s easier to test with it apart!