• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 scrap movements + preservation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another reminder that this thread is for discussion of Class 365 scrap movements and preservation.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread.

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gmaguire

Is it alright to say all units have stripped down of parts?
No parts were saved from the units which were scrapped, if that’s what you meant.

It would have made sense to save things like doors, windows and seats for the other Networkers.

Magdalia

Established Member
I think so. Except for 365524 which is having one carriage preserved as is at the East Kent Railway (cause HRH the Queen used it)
Do you have a date for that please?

I have 13 known class 365 journeys by HM the Queen and none involve 365524 (or 365540).

D365

Veteran Member
No parts were saved from the units which were scrapped, if that’s what you meant.

It would have made sense to save things like doors, windows and seats for the other Networkers.
Eversholt obviously decided that it wasn't worth the added expense of striping down the units.

AzureOtsu

Is there any feasibility for the preserved driving cars to have their original front ends restored?

I know this may not be the most ethical thing to post but I found images from a 365 (531) involved in a collision in 2004 (easily found from a Google search) which have the air con modified smiley front partly destroyed from one half of the leading carriage revealing the original networker cab front behind the modified front.

I don't know much about engineering but it looks to me the modified cab front was fitted directly in front of the original cab. The yellow front end is still clearly visible once revealed.

It seems the modified light clusters are fed through an adapter into the original sockets for the networker style light clusters.

If there are spare parts for original networker lights, which is likely given how they are basic BR era light clusters shared by many units, how feasible would it to convert a cab front to its original state, even if its only one just to show the history of the unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.