• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 37 & 47 bodies - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan

Ok, so after purchasing Stephen's 37 and 47 body i'm open for surgestions on what to do next.

1) I need chassis for both locomotives. Stephen has told me that he has the chassis for the 47, but no bogies.
2) They both need a paint job, British Rail green. I have no spray brush and therefore need a good recomendation for paint with a high quality finish with the traditional brush method.
3) The 37 is in need of all four buffers however the 47 only needs one more.
4) the 37 is lacking head code detail because the body is only the moulding which as a consequence has no plastic for windows either.

I'm beginning to see why Stephen wanted to get rid of these bodies, hence why they were also quite cheap too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

Best bet for chassis is either Hornby Spares or ebay, probably the latter. Paintwise I'd recommend you get some Railmatch paint and just experiment, if you get the acrylic stuff I believe it's washable so if you make a balls up it doesnt matter. My secret weapon when reapainting or any painting is masking tape, althrough I use low tack tape which is pretty useful on models so small with so much detail.

However if your painting body shells I should think normal tape would be fine. If you could tell me if your 37 is split or centre headcode it'd be appreciated but what you'll need is:

BR Diesel Roof Grey (Railmatch 2320 Diesel Roof Grey)
BR Sherwood Green (Railmatch 2300 Standard Loco Green)
BR Pre-1985 Yellow (Railmatch 2304 Warning Panel Yellow)
BR Ferret & Dartboard transfer x2*
D Numbers*
Headcode Numbers*
Flushglazing windows (Google South East Finecast)
Vanish to paint the model with to make it look nice

All of which you'll be able to find at Howes Model Railways (note: I have the numbers there of the Acrylic range that I prefer to use as it's non-toxic and nicer to work with and I think washable, if you want the enamel remove the front 2 number)

*Found at Fox Transfers

Numbers and headcode boxes transfers are also pretty easy to do, theres a tutorial I found somehwere that I'll dig out for you on hows its done.

Buffers I suspect are easy to find if it's a pre 80's refurb your after like mine you'll need some circle buffers, I believe Howes may do these (they do £1.95 a pack of 4, look for pack A6 by A1 models which can be found under D&E 4mm Detailing). Bare in mind these are brass so will need painting! Not sure if these include the actual fitting to the loco or not, but I presume if not you could make one from plasticard or they may have onewith more searching.

Anyway hope this is useful, if you make any progress please show me some pics.

Cheers.

Nathan

Ahh brilliant being patient is all worth while! I've taken a look for a 37 chassis and www.hornbyspares.co.uk appears to have all the peices. I am also keeping an eye out for a 47 power bogie on ebay which finishes in two days. The 37 has a centre head code to confirm.

Thanks for your help Nick, other surgestions are always welcome.

Nick

Centre headcode like my bachmann one, mines in BR green with small yellow warning panel, if you want some reference shots give us a pm.

Good luck!

Nathan

Well heres an update so far, Stephen luckly managed to locate the paired chassis on his floor and likewise with the 47 motor bogie excluding gears. It will need soldering and also some pickups too. I will have to purchase a trailing bogie unless Stephen re-locates it before i purchase it.

The running number and livery has been decided and best suits this model. http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/47417_index.htm 47417 (D1516).

Now looking through hornby spares i am unsure of what i actually need now and once again its question time:

1) Ringfield Cover Plate Set - What is it and do i need it?
2) Traction Tyres (Pack of 10) - For all the wheels? Currently only one of the 3) wheels don't touch the rail at all.
4) Ringfield Gear Set (3pole)(was X8810) or Ringfield Spur Gear (pk 4) 3pole (was S2565)
5) Carbon Brush & Spring Pack (10+10) & Collector Set (motor end) With Wires - They are...?
6) Non Power Bogie Assembly & Non Power Bogie Wheel / Axle Set - Whats the differance?!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Now looking through hornby spares i am unsure of what i actually need now and once again its question time:

1) Ringfield Cover Plate Set - What is it and do i need it? It covers the armature assembly IIRC, so I would say yes.
2) Traction Tyres (Pack of 10) - For all the wheels? Currently only one of the Traction tyres are fitted to only 3 wheels per bogie on opposite sides so current collection is not single-sided (as in only plus no minus or some random crap like that
3) wheels don't touch the rail at all. See above, needs traction tyres
4) Ringfield Gear Set (3pole)(was X8810) or Ringfield Spur Gear (pk 4) 3pole (was S2565) Gear set I'd reckon as it should contain all gears. If not both.
5) Carbon Brush & Spring Pack (10+10) & Collector Set (motor end) With Wires - They are...? Electrical pickups
6) Non Power Bogie Assembly & Non Power Bogie Wheel / Axle Set - Whats the differance?! Non power bogie assembly is the frame, wheel/axle set are, funnily enough, the running bits ;)

Nathan

So with the Non Power Bogie Assembly & Non Power Bogie Wheel / Axle Set i'll need both. £13 just for a trailing bogie!

Status
Not open for further replies.