• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 376 refurbishment 2024/2025

SEtrains

I was on RTT earlier and noticed that the class 376 refurbishment drags have appeared on RTT for most Saturdays. It has been said elsewhere that the refurbishment will start after the June timetable change. The drag has appeared for today but will inevitably not run.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SEtrains

Yes the refurbishment will still happen and I believe it will be an ROG operated drag to Wembley Receptions every other Saturday. The drag probably won’t run for many more months

Busman

It's hard to believe that this class still has the old Connex moquette seating. With the length of time they have retained this moquette, it's going to look very odd once they get the 'new' seating moquette*.

*Which I have to say is probably the dullest seat design across the whole network.

Doomotron

Established Member
It's hard to believe that this class still has the old Connex moquette seating. With the length of time they have retained this moquette, it's going to look very odd once they get the 'new' seating moquette*.

*Which I have to say is probably the dullest seat design across the whole network.
As far as I'm aware the Connex moquette is slightly different, with yellow parts in places, and the version used in the 376s (and on some seats in 375s, clearly because they had spares of the old moquette) is from the SET days. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure how the Southeastern moquette counts as dull either, but that's besides the point.

Ridgeblog

I can’t believe they still have the same livery despite it changing for the other SE trains. They never even got the livery that the 465s and 466s still have now. The one the 376s have looks very outdated, especially compared to the brands other TOCs are using today. Not the mention their condition, they look like they need a deep clean. I heard somewhere else on this forum that it was because of paint warranty?

physics34

Established Member
I can’t believe they still have the same livery despite it changing for the other SE trains. They never even got the livery that the 465s and 466s still have now. The one the 376s have looks very outdated, especially compared to the brands other TOCs are using today. Not the mention their condition, they look like they need a deep clean. I heard somewhere else on this forum that it was because of paint warranty?
Another convenient excuse.

Doomotron

Established Member
Paint warranty is one reason, yes, although that would have expired a while back. Laziness, combined with the turbulent events of the Southeastern franchise, probably contributed to them not being reliveried as well. Now Southeastern is operated by the government (although its performance does put into doubt how well renationalisation would work, but that's beside the point) there is more ambition to improve Southeastern, hence the new refurbishment programmes for the 376s and 395s.

Albeit never operated by them, the 376s have the Connex livery. Interestingly some 375s did get the livery used on the Networkers (and they looked very nice in it) but it wasn't extended to the whole fleet, I'd assume because they were planning the full refurbishment by then and didn't want to commit to changing the vinyls. And, curiously, the 395 mockup displayed at Ebbsfleet was also in the Connex livery but without the stripe. It looked nice in it, but I'm not sure why they did that when they would already have known roughly what the 395s would have looked like anyway.

Ridgeblog

Interesting, makes sense. Yeah, SE is under OLR, so could also be the reason for so many delays, and other things such as cutting down services to Charing Cross. Honestly, it is unacceptable. Hopefully they get refurbished soon.

SEtrains

The refurbishment project is already running behind schedule as the 376s were scheduled for refurbishment last year but then it got delayed to early 2024 which obviously hasn’t happened so I’m not quite sure when they’ll be refurbished.

Mikey C

Established Member
The refurbishment project is already running behind schedule as the 376s were scheduled for refurbishment last year but then it got delayed to early 2024 which obviously hasn’t happened so I’m not quite sure when they’ll be refurbished.
Which is pretty pathetic considering how uncomplicated the changes will be.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
With the exception of the 375s, every operator of SouthEastern seems to have done the absolute bare minimum in looking after their suburban stock...

The Class 465s have had a few things done with them over the years, but most have been minor alterations with PIS, seating moquette, or updating the livery. Nothing in terms of a proper heavy overhaul like other TOCs done with their 455s. The 465/9s were the nearest to a proper overhaul they have ever had. The rest of the subclass seems to have been uncared for... and the same goes for the Class 376s. So to summarise, SE barely looks after any of its suburban stock and does the bare minimum.

Ridgeblog

As far as I know, the most that was done to the 376s ever was removing the centre handrails and minor TLC. But their current condition is awful, if I'm being completely honest.

Busman

With the exception of the 375s, every operator of SouthEastern seems to have done the absolute bare minimum in looking after their suburban stock...

The Class 465s have had a few things done with them over the years, but most have been minor alterations with PIS, seating moquette, or updating the livery. Nothing in terms of a proper heavy overhaul like other TOCs done with their 455s. The 465/9s were the nearest to a proper overhaul they have ever had. The rest of the subclass seems to have been uncared for... and the same goes for the Class 376s. So to summarise, SE barely looks after any of its suburban stock and does the bare minimum.

It does seem to me that Southeastern is the runt of the litter in the South East especially. They get trains others dont want, they must have the biggest variants of trains, the networkers have only ever had 'some' minor cosmetic work done, some of the 375s are a right state, ripped seats, broken panels, bins half hanging out, windows not opening properly amongst other things.

Doomotron

Established Member
It does seem to me that Southeastern is the runt of the litter in the South East especially. They get trains others dont want, they must have the biggest variants of trains, the networkers have only ever had 'some' minor cosmetic work done, some of the 375s are a right state, ripped seats, broken panels, bins half hanging out, windows not opening properly amongst other things.
I travel on 375s almost every day and I have to admit that I haven't noticed what you have. I haven't seen a ripped seat in a couple of months, and I've never seen any of the other things you mention.

Busman

I travel on 375s almost every day and I have to admit that I haven't noticed what you have. I haven't seen a ripped seat in a couple of months, and I've never seen any of the other things you mention.

We must be getting on different trains then, I travel in from Hayes and back every day (5 days a week and some weekends) and the seats are worn to the thread. I am not saying they are on their backsides but they could have had at least a spruce up in the last 20 years.

On Moderation
We must be getting on different trains then, I travel in from Hayes and back every day (5 days a week and some weekends) and the seats are worn to the thread. I am not saying they are on their backsides but they could have had at least a spruce up in the last 20 years.
If you travel from Hayes, did you mean 376 rather than 375?

Doomotron

Established Member
Perhaps you meant 376s rather than 375s as you wrote in the post I replied too?

"some of the 375s are a right state, ripped seats, broken panels, bins half hanging out, windows not opening properly amongst other things."

Established Member
Indeed.

The vast majority of 375s I've been on have been in a very good condition. I certainly find them far more pleasant to travel on than the GTR (and even SE) 377s that's for sure.

Geogregor

That is class 376, majority of which is in bad shape indeed.

Still, not as bad as the Networkers.

Metro operations seems like unwanted child to whoever is running the SE. It does feel like that now under government control but it was the same when it was run as private franchise. Management concentrates on the mainline services as they see them as the main income source.

That is class 376, majority of which is in bad shape indeed.

Still, not as bad as the Networkers.

Metro operations seems like unwanted child to whoever is running the SE. It does feel like that now under government control but it was the same when it was run as private franchise. Management concentrates on the mainline services as they see them as the main income source.
Networkers have been pretty much uncared for since only a few years into their working life, the problem then being turbocharged by Connex and it hasn't really recovered from that ever since, bar new seat covers years ago.

Unwanted child sums it up nicely!

Busman

Perhaps you meant 376s rather than 375s as you wrote in the post I replied too?

"some of the 375s are a right state, ripped seats, broken panels, bins half hanging out, windows not opening properly amongst other things."

My word, I am a fool, sorry yes, I meant the 376s.

Sorry about that.

If you travel from Hayes, did you mean 376 rather than 375?

Yes I did, sorry. People must have thought I was going mad.