• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 378 at Euston Platform 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubeboy

I saw a Class 378 this morning in platform 18 at Euston, locked out of use. Is this a rare or common occurrence? I have only ever seen Virgin Voyagers in P18 up until now. Thanks for any replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
I saw a Class 378 this morning in platform 18 at Euston, locked out of use. Is this a rare or common occurrence? I have only ever seen Virgin Voyagers in P18 up until now. Thanks for any replies.

Possibly stored out the way for the weekend

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have seen the 378s stabled late evening over on the high numbered platforms. Those are the platforms reached by the non-standard ramp from the concorse. Between those three platforms and the rest of the station are two sidings and I have seen a few 378s parked up there as well. In the past I have seen 508s (iirc ??) and 150s parked there. The late evening at Euston is probably the best way of seeing many 378s in five minutes !.

oversteer

I've seen a 378 in the (Camden?) yard up by the Roundhouse.
It was a time when Euston was disrupted for whatever reason.
I'm sure I couldn't see third rail in the yard so I wonder how it got in and out :)

trc666

378s are dual voltage so can use overhead wires too. Platforms 8, 9 and 10 are the only platforms with third rail at Euston.

MCR247

Established Member
378s are dual voltage so can use overhead wires too. Platforms 8, 9 and 10 are the only platforms with third rail at Euston.

Except for the /1s that mainly stay on ELL services

notadriver

Established Member
I think the /1s only stay on the ELL. Dual voltage is needed just to enter the depot at Willesden never mind normal operations on the NLL :)

WM 315 is a very important signal for those leaving the high numbered platforms. :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Except for the /1s that mainly stay on ELL services

I think the /1s only stay on the ELL. Dual voltage is needed just to enter the depot at Willesden never mind normal operations on the NLL :)

WM 315 is a very important signal for those leaving the high numbered platforms. :)

Is there any reason that it wasn't considered worthwhile to make all the 378s fully capable of dual voltage? Simply cost, or are there clearance issues in the ELL tunnels? I'd have thought that unless there are problems with the tunnels it'd make more sense for all units to be in a common pool.

IIRC the 508s being DC only were restricted to Euston-Watford and had to be towed into the depot by 313s each night. They'd have been fine on the ELL had it been open back then...

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The /1s entirely stay on ELL services. The rest though can travel to the ELL depot through the tunnel. I reckon there's enough clearence there to fit an overhead condutor rail system- and that frankly it should have been done that way, with changeover boundaries at New Cross Gate and Surrey Canal Road

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
Dual voltage units supplement the DC only 378/1s on the ELL anyway. It's probably cost. New Cross Gate depot can do most of the maintenance anyway on the 378/1s so they should never need to go under the wires.

southern442

Established Member
I have seen the 378s stabled late evening over on the high numbered platforms. Those are the platforms reached by the non-standard ramp from the concorse. Between those three platforms and the rest of the station are two sidings and I have seen a few 378s parked up there as well. In the past I have seen 508s (iirc ??) and 150s parked there. The late evening at Euston is probably the best way of seeing many 378s in five minutes !.

Yes, I saw one from my sleeper earlier this year. It went in and then came out about 20 minutes later.

slick

I used to be a dispatcher at euston and can tell you that every night LOROL stables up to 9 units overnight at euston. They used to come in between 11-1am. It was not uncommon to have 3 3car units on platform 18 to send out in the morning on a night shift between 4am-7am. They were usually take out by Euston based drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.