• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 395 AC/DC switch-over

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfilbert

Evening,

Could anyone tell me if 395s can switch from AC to DC (and vice-versa) without stopping? If so, what is the procedure? My guess is that they probably can, presumably at reduced speed, but any real info would be much appreciated. I'm trying to model a realistic ECS move from St Pancras to Faversham in Train Simulator 2020.

Thanks in advance,
Filbert

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
Evening,

Could anyone tell me if 395s can switch from AC to DC (and vice-versa) without stopping? If so, what is the procedure? My guess is that they probably can, presumably at reduced speed, but any real info would be much appreciated. I'm trying to model a realistic ECS move from St Pancras to Faversham in Train Simulator 2020.

Thanks in advance,
Filbert

Yes.

cyclebytrain

They used to change on the move at Ebbsfleet when there were some peak trains that started at Rochester. As best I remember they coasted for what felt like a surprisingly long time. Sometimes the lights & HVAC cut out totally, other times they remained on, which struck me as weird. The lights didn't come back on any sooner when the train was running late, so my guess is that the changeover always happened at near the speed limit through the platforms, although it never felt particularly fast. Hopefully my old memories are of some use to you.

plugwash

Established Member
I have been on one that did during disruption.

We were on a train to london that was supposed to join HS1 at ebbsfleet but were unable to take the usual route to ebbsfleet for some reason (can't remember why), so we took a route that involved reversing (presumablly just past longfield) and using a normally freight-only route onto HS1 away from london. We then pulled off onto a loop at the side of HS1 to reverse again and head towards ebbsfleet and London.

IIRC once we started moving on the diversion route, the only stops were for the reversals (and stopping in ebbsfleet station), the transition from the third rail network onto HS1 cetainly happened without stopping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.