Class 442 - Tannoy Announcements

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by RichardKing, 14 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardKing

RichardKing Member

For anyone that is familiar with me, you will know that I am rather fond of the Class 442. I was wondering if anyone knew the typical announcement routine on the Gatwick Express when travelling between London Victoria and Gatwick/Brighton (and vice versa). I only seem to come across the units when they are working on Southern services, hence why I am not familiar with the Gatwick Express announcements.

Thanks in advance.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Aictos

Aictos Established Member

Obvious depending on direction of travel, they usually do the standard welcome onboard this Gatwick Express service to "insert destination" and also advise you to keep all personal belongings with you at all times.

Note this is repeated 4 times in English then German, Italian and Spanish I believe.

They also do the standard departure message upon approach to said destination, again in four languages.

Does this help?

4. RichardKing

RichardKing Member

That does help: thank you, mate!
    It's also interesting to know what other languages these announcements are repeated in!

5. CosherB

CosherB Established Member

"Booths" I believe! ;)

6. Stats

Stats Member

On arrival at Victoria they also tell you where to go for taxis and I think the underground.

7. RichardKing

RichardKing Member

I had a feeling they did something like that. They probably include London Coach & Bus Station in that announcement as well. Oh, and they most likely advise that you can change at Victoria for SouthEastern services.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Booths? I might be being rather stupid here, but I have no idea what you're on about! :D

8. D365

D365 Established Member

I know of a Yorkshire dialect, but I didn't know we treat it like another language here down South!

9. Aictos

Aictos Established Member

No worries, I've been on the GatEx too many times that's how I know :lol:

10. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

You may or may not be aware, but this forum has some sort of obsession with 442s and for a while on here they were the solution to every rolling stock shortage in the country! Many, however, believe (accept) that there is going to be limited use for them once replaced by 387/2s and so think they will end up in a scrapyard. Booths in Rotherham is a well known scrapyard for trains :)

11. Stats

Stats Member

Although now this forum seems to have moved on and now has an obsession with Hitachi AT300s which seem to be the solution to every rolling stock shortage in the country.

12. D365

D365 Established Member

At least AT300 proposals are somewhat more realistic for longer-distance routes which may be electrified within 10-20 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.