• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hapt1n

We supply a consumable part for the 442. SWR have just placed a large order suggesting that the first re furbished units could be entering service soon,

Monty

Established Member
May I ask what these modifications are?

Interlock mod is to prevent the train from taking power with a local door open (similar mods are also being carried out on the 455 fleet), it's also supposed to reduce the risk of 'roll backs' too.

The guards panels are being modified to make opening closing your local door a less of a 'faff', the panels (and the cab to crew handset) from the guards van are also being moved to a set of passenger doors in the motor coach.

GW43125

Established Member
Interlock mod is to prevent the train from taking power with a local door open (similar mods are also being carried out on the 455 fleet), it's also supposed to reduce the risk of 'roll backs' too.

I didn't realise they didn't have it already.

The guards panels are being modified to make opening closing your local door a less of a 'faff', the panels (and the cab to crew handset) from the guards van are also being moved to a set of passenger doors in the motor coach.

Is the guard's van going then? And if so I'm assuming the slamdoors will be permanently locked. How's a local door a faff currently?

Monty

Established Member
he guard's van going then? And if so I'm assuming the slamdoors will be permanently locked. How's a local door a faff currently?

Van is staying, the slam doors will be locked out of use however. From what I understand they will use the space for storing the wifi equipment and other things. The guards will so be able to use it a place to store their equipment or take a quick break.

As for the panels, it's a bit hard to describe on a forum but currently you have to use a switch that has 3 positions and the passenger door open button. The mods will streamline this process.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Most of the corrosion repairs were completed ages ago, delays are in part due to the company in charge of the internal refurbishment not being particularly well organised and the modifications to the guards panels and traction interlock system taking longer than normal.

In addition, half the problem is that the leasing companies (who are desperate to find use for older stock) will claim that modifications and commissioning will be simple and straight forward when from a practical point of a view its anything but, doesn't help that the TOCs will often use project managers with little experience in rolling stock either, so will usually take anything the leasing company will say at face value.

On top of that, GTR removed the 442s from the sectional appendix when they were withdrawn from GatEx duties, so NR are basically treating it as if a new train is being introduced to service.
What are the downsides of leaving it in the sectional appendix?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What are the downsides of leaving it in the sectional appendix?
They were still in the March 2018 Sectional Appendix (SA) for appropriate Southern routes that I have got downloaded, ie the public version. Also they were shown in the Wessex section for all the routes they would have previously used.

It was said earlier in the thread that they would they have to be revalidated for Wessex route, despite being shown in the SA. Which raises the question is there another way of preventing their use than amending them out of the SA.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They were still in the March 2018 Sectional Appendix (SA) for appropriate Southern routes that I have got downloaded, ie the public version. Also they were shown in the Wessex section for all the routes they would have previously used.

It was said earlier in the thread that they would they have to be revalidated for Wessex route, despite being shown in the SA. Which raises the question is there another way of preventing their use than amending them out of the SA.
I appreciate doing this work maybe a good thing but is any of it being done solely because the rules state it must but actually it's otherwise not needed? I'm not say this is the case at all, just asking the question.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I appreciate doing this work maybe a good thing but is any of it being done solely because the rules state it must but actually it's otherwise not needed? I'm not say this is the case at all, just asking the question.
An earlier poster wrote that Southern had significantly raised the unit’s ride height. That alone would mean revalidation surely?

mic505

Target date is from late February. However only the 3rd unit has just been done, internally.

theironroad

Established Member
Target date is from late February. However only the 3rd unit has just been done, internally.

Hi, is that internally and externally and all done and ready to roll??

Also, do you mean that is the 3rd 5-car ? If so, only 1.5 of the intended formation to run ready as they are supposed to only going to be run as 10-cars....?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Also, do you mean that is the 3rd 5-car ? If so, only 1.5 of the intended formation to run ready as they are supposed to only going to be run as 10-cars....?
So if they get a fourth one done fairly quickly, perhaps we could see two introductory ten car diagrams from the late of the month?

Train Boy

2403, 2417 & 2420 are completed. 2406 is the 4th one to be done.

The livery is pretty much done on most of them now, just various finishing touches need to be applied. However, 2404 is still in plain grey.

theironroad

Established Member

The livery is pretty much done on most of them now, just various finishing touches need to be applied. However, 2404 is still in plain grey.

Ah, ok thanks. Looks like they might have 2 10-car sets ready for traffic soon then.

I'm guessing they will trickle them into passenger service bit by bit rather than big bang style..

Don Steedy

All three still quite a long way from completed.

hwl

Established Member
What is happening with the retractioning? Has it just been quietly forgotten about?

Mollman

Established Member
What is happening with the retractioning? Has it just been quietly forgotten about?
Report in Jan Modern Railways says it will be done later in the year. There is a part (static converters) that is needed which wasn't originally planned for and it is taking a while to get hold of.

pigs bay

I know that 2414 and 2422 had their jumper covers refitted before storage, and 2414 has since had them removed, but are there any plans to refit them, only at the moment you can clearly see the full yellow warning panel and around the hoses, but as seen before when in service they will have very little yellow warning panel visible, hence why NSE had them refitted as soon as a suitable design was ready.

theironroad

Established Member

All three still quite a long way from completed.
Cheers for that, had a feeling it was too good to be true!

So, after that.....

Are there any units 5 or 10 car ready to run in passenger traffic at the moment?

HeelBurton

One was in Wimbledon yesterday. Went up to the wheel lathe. Not sure of fleet number. Was tough to see from on top of the flyover

Status
Not open for further replies.