• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Portsmouth is very much a Northern city on the south coast, that is a statistic fact based on employment, university uptake and skills in the city. The railway is just there to help encourage the isolated feel!!

I joke of course, if I was playing trains I’d change bits but I understand it’s for ‘the greater good’. Never know, the 707s could come to the coastway... although I’d be disappointed to see the last of Southerns coastway conductors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Well do take into consideration like the seats are going from 2x1 to 2x2 so even though they cutting down the size of first they not necessarily reducing the seat numbers for sure.
To be exact they reduce from 35 to 32 as per the franchise agreement. So 12 rows of 2+1 changes to 8 rows of 2+2. Hence 16 more standard seats in the DMOC vehicle.

What is the purpose of the word 'like' in the above statement? Just curious.
I think it is compulsory now for anyone of a younger generation than myself to incorporate that word at least once, if not many times, in every sentence. I was once asked at my ticket window by a passenger (not customer!) "Can I get to like Portsmouth?" It is similar to how the word "So" has to be put at the start of a sentence. I try to close my ears to it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it is compulsory now for anyone of a younger generation than myself to incorporate that word at least once, if not many times, in every sentence. I was once asked at my ticket window by a passenger (not customer!) "Can I get to like Portsmouth?" It is similar to how the word "So" has to be put at the start of a sentence. I try to close my ears to it.

It is a bit of an annoyance, but the related phrase, "he was like X", does serve a purpose as it implies more that the speaker is reproducing how the person described reacted in full including body language, rather than "he said X" which just implies the speech component.

VEP3417

are there any photos dotting about in them in primer? hence i was wanting to photograph them but im always late to the party as missed the ones yesterday as only just seen that :lol: i remember a very long time ago a guard trying to man handle my bmx into the original 442 upright bike racks....he broke one of my brake leavers :s

dorsetdesiro

are there any photos dotting about in them in primer? hence i was wanting to photograph them but im always late to the party as missed the ones yesterday as only just seen that :lol: i remember a very long time ago a guard trying to man handle my bmx into the original 442 upright bike racks....he broke one of my brake leavers :s

link to photo on Flickr

theironroad

Established Member

The morning Q moves in RTT between Bournemouth and Millbrook should run tomorrow (Friday).

VEP3417

nice one will try and catch one (they soton up goods loop rather than milbrook)

"Runs as required: this service only runs when it is required" turned up to see a few of these in the past only for nothing to happen :lol:

doctorf5

"Runs as required: this service only runs when it is required" turned up to see a few of these in the past only for nothing to happen :lol:
442404 & 442406 ran again today.

pompeyfan

Established Member

The path is unlikely to be activated until closer to the time. I’m not sure how the path is actually activated.

dorsetdesiro

Well that isn’t primer, is it.

Sneer away all you like, don't let me stop you. You must be the life and soul of the party(!), just carry on.

I apologise if I made a mistake there, I assumed this is primer paint as the 442 pictured seems unfinished which I thought it would require another layer of paint before the vinyls go on as it looks more white than grey. But hey, no harm in discussing or speculating but this somehow easily irritates some on here, just like the cantankerous old goat of a neighbour who flipped out whenever I kicked the ball into his garden or kids gathering & playing outside his house!

theironroad

Established Member
The path is unlikely to be activated until closer to the time. I’m not sure how the path is actually activated.

I think it's activated in the WICC, most probably by the NR Train Running Controller once it's been decided (in this case by the training school and fleet) if it will run.

theironroad

Established Member

The other thing to bear in mind with these particular Q moves (which are for driver training) is that if there is severe late running or wider disruption these can be turned around before reaching the goods loop.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sneer away all you like, don't let me stop you. You must be the life and soul of the party(!), just carry on irritates some on here, just like the cantankerous old goat of a neighbour who flipped out whenever I kicked the ball into his garden or kids gathering & playing outside his house!
What you mean like this :lol:
What is the purpose of the word 'like' in the above statement? Just curious.
:rolleyes: Sorry if it hosed you, bro.
Oh wait hang on. I jolly well apologise for the inconvenience, old chap. That British enough for you? :lol:

That aside, the big question I still wonder is if the sets will enter service in December with the new interior. I can’t help thinking they will keep the same GX seat type in 2nd. It was for sure a comfortable seat type and I can picture it in South Western Railway Fabric.

VEP3417

basically it may or may not turn up and it probably wont be activated before i pop out to see it and i cant check as i dont have internet set up on my phone, fingers crossed aye :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
basically it may or may not turn up and it probably wont be activated before i pop out to see it and i cant check as i dont have internet set up on my phone, fingers crossed aye :lol:
Looking back this week, on the days it shows as running, Wed and Thurs, the first path seems to have been activated around 0400-0500.

theironroad

Established Member
5Q44, 5Q47/48/49 should all run tomorrow (Friday 28/9) unless the network melts down between Southampton and Poole for another reason :)

VEP3417

nice one thanks for that, in the past ive clicked on ones and they where still displaying, runs when required close to the time they ran but i guess thos ones might not have been activated then

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’m a bit surprised that the headlight clusters in the windscreen haven’t been replaced with the modern day equivalent.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think the half-black front suits them particularly well, looks quite modern, a bit like a 350.

Dynamic Lines suits almost anything, I don't quite know why people dislike it.
I dislike it because it looks like a small child was let loose with the felt-tips, but that's rather off-topic!

Agree about the black window surround, even 142s looked half-decent when Northern Spirit did similar with them.

Wychwood93

I dislike it because it looks like a small child was let loose with the felt-tips, but that's rather off-topic!

Agree about the black window surround, even 142s looked half-decent when Northern Spirit did similar with them.
Should the half-black fronts become what they will be in service then they have my vote! Likewise the diminishing GWR HSTs with just the fleck of yellow below the screen - it gives a 'look'. I would also like to see all the guards, which we will have on the L&SWR (or whatever it is now), sporting the '442 Squadron' badges that were certainly common in the Bournemouth area some 30 years ago. As I recall there were some in higher echelons who missed the humour. Likewise a friend of mine who (a guard at the time), when Stagecoach arrived, wore a cowboy hat with an arrow through it. Humour was not seen and, as I recall, a Form 1 issued.

Goldfish62

Established Member

Have I missed something. Several 442s have been in this interim livery for a while.

dan bennett

There’s also a few at Bournemouth depot in the final version of the livery now

Last edited:

Dougal2345

Status
Not open for further replies.