• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy

Established Member
I wouldn't be suprised if the 442s don't enter service again, covid looks to have been the final nail in the coffin...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railengineer

Waste of money?
They have spent millions trying to get these clapped out old trains working when everyone else is leasing new stock. It was a fanciful idea by worst group that went badly wrong. Don't bank on too many memories of the old days being revived either. They have ripped out the best bits (snug) and squashed in a load of ironing board seats.

moley

Certain services such as the 19:48 Waterloo to Poole have been formally withdrawn from December. It appears that by December, a few 701s in service and the subsequent cascades will allow a few 450s to move back to main line work. It just delays scrapping a few 458s a little longer.

On that basis, likely December 2021 before they are needed and that’s only if everyone returns back to work in London, which they won’t!

Put a loco on one end and use them off the juice on the Pompey - Cardiff’s!

SWRtrain_fan

Waste of money?
They have spent millions trying to get these clapped out old trains working when everyone else is leasing new stock. It was a fanciful idea by worst group that went badly wrong. Don't bank on too many memories of the old days being revived either. They have ripped out the best bits (snug) and squashed in a load of ironing board seats.
Agreed, whoever decided to get 442s in, it was quite a bad decision to make

Railengineer

So the Dft was complicit and we are all paying for this shambles then?

For someone who didn't want to do it, worst group certainly pumped out the publicity (until it went wrong)!

Nym

Established Member
Well they did try and lumber Transpennine Express with them as well in the bright idea that they could be made to work with a Class 67 or 68.
(They could, but it's exceedingly complex)

Energy

Established Member
For someone who didn't want to do it, worst group certainly pumped out the publicity (until it went wrong)!
I don't think they really had a choice, they were forced into the 442s so they decided promoting was the best choice over not promoting them.

adc82140

Established Member
Meanwhile, the poor 365's sit abandoned at Crewe....
Trouble is when this whole charade started I think that the 442s were the only available 3rd rail units. Of course now we have the 365s, soon the 458s and possibly the 350/2s (are these able to be converted to 750v?)

Nym

Established Member
Trouble is when this whole charade started I think that the 442s were the only available 3rd rail units. Of course now we have the 365s, soon the 458s and possibly the 350/2s (are these able to be converted to 750v?)
So what about all the 319s that have been and still are sat around and will work on 3rd rail off the bat...?

CBlue

Meanwhile, the poor 365's sit abandoned at Crewe....

I've seen suggestions about using the 365's on 3rd rail before. Was it not the case that the 3rd rail kit was removed and subsequently disposed of? I am fairly sure there was a poster on here stating that - and if they are missing that capability, is it really worth the expense for such a small fleet?

Better off converting Desiros, at least there's going to be a fair few of them going spare in the next couple of years.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The whole point of the charade was to meet the apparent passenger groups insistence on 23 metre end door stock, with 2+2 seating. It was really all about their envious comparisons with the Bournemouth line, nothing to do with maximising seating capacity on the Portsmouth Direct...

adc82140

Established Member
So what about all the 319s that have been and still are sat around and will work on 3rd rail off the bat...?
Are there enough of them? Once we discount the ones that, for better or worse, are destined to be 769s, plus the remaining Northern and LNWR fleet, and the Orion ones, there are not that many going begging.

Meerkat

Established Member
The whole point of the charade was to meet the apparent passenger groups insistence on 23 metre end door stock, with 2+2 seating. It was really all about their envious comparisons with the Bournemouth line, nothing to do with maximising seating capacity on the Portsmouth Direct...
So can they now convert 350s for the line and say ‘do you want working trains or comfy ones that don’t work?
Were these for new services anyway? Sure I have always been on 444s down the Portsmouth Direct, not a 450?

Are there enough of them? Once we discount the ones that, for better or worse, are destined to be 769s, plus the remaining Northern and LNWR fleet, and the Orion ones, there are not that many going begging.
The 319s should be saved to be diesels (assuming they’re eventually make it work!). Replace 442s with converted 350s.
All hell would break loose if you tried to put Petersfield commuters on 319s!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So can they now convert 350s for the line and say ‘do you want working trains or comfy ones that don’t work?
Were these for new services anyway? Sure I have always been on 444s down the Portsmouth Direct, not a 450?
The 360/2s with a 2+2 seating conversion, running as 12 car, would be fine IMHO, but they weren’t known to be available at the time First/MTR were making their bid.

Yes, they are all about having enough stock for the extra services across both main long distance routes. The Portsmouth Direct was supposed to go 4 tph end to end, plus peak extras.

The service in recent years has been a mix of 444 and 450. But a majority of peak flow direction trains are 12.450s. The plans (pre-COVID) would have had most Portsmouth fasts as 10.442, a few as 10.444, and semifasts remaining as 12.450. A couple of services on the Waterloo-Bournemouth-Poole route would still be used to rotate 442s through Bournemouth depot for certain maintenance.

Meerkat

Established Member
So in the ‘new normal’ are they ever going to be needed?
Cant say 4tph is needed off peak anyway - I have never been on an off peak one that wasn’t half empty, certainly nowhere near crowded.

Kieran1990

Maybe they’ll retain the Class 458’s give them a 2+2 refit and stick them on the Pompey’s, unsure if there 75mph gearing would scuff that

fgwrich

Established Member
The 458s are already 2+2.

458501-530 do have first class, it's just declassified.

I cant see anyone being that interested in the Juniper fleet once SWR is finished with them to be honest, they do seem rather run down and do feel tired - though it seems to be a Juniper thing as I cant say I was that impressed with their Scottish cousins last month.

If any newer units were to be brought into the franchise, I would place a strong bet on them being the 350/2s converted. Standardised fleet then, modern units virtually the same as the other 125 Desiros. It's a bit of a shame it wasn't considered from the start (with a 350/1 style interior) to be honest, much as I like the 442s / Mk3 design.

DelW

Established Member
So in the ‘new normal’ are they ever going to be needed?
Cant say 4tph is needed off peak anyway - I have never been on an off peak one that wasn’t half empty, certainly nowhere near crowded.
Currently the Direct is only 2tph south of Haslemere. Because that's 1 x semifast and 1 x stopper, at most stations the gaps are somewhat uneven. One curious side effect is that Milford and Witley get an enhanced 2tph service, as both the Portsmouth stoppers and the Haslemere terminators call there.
No idea when or if 3tph will be restored let alone 4tph to need the 442s, but currently off peak loadings look quite low.

On Moderation
I cant see anyone being that interested in the Juniper fleet once SWR is finished with them to be honest, they do seem rather run down and do feel tired - though it seems to be a Juniper thing as I cant say I was that impressed with their Scottish cousins last month.
With the 458s that's down to SWR not looking after them.

theironroad

Established Member
While we don't know the exact outcome yet, let's be clear the 442 programme hasn't been terminated.

442s were pulled w/c 17/3 as WFH was imposed and covid cases were increasing. More staff were self isolating and the need for 2 drivers in passenger service meant that it was easier to withdraw the 442 and use the driver's elsewhere.

Some driver's have been maintaining their traction knowledge over the summer with units 10 & 20 being used between poole and brockenhurst.

As has been detailed on RF, the units have been going to have their AC work done at Wolverton, albeit slowly it seems as their are 18 units to I believe and someone can correct me but only 3 or so have been done.

A separate contract was awarded over the summer and work started on replacing the desk and controls in the cans.

A dispensation was granted last year so that the 442 can stay in service until August 2024 on swr metals without meeting all reduced mobility access requirements.

Sure, right now with commuting suppressed the extra capacity isnt needed but , and while I won't bet my life on it, the news of their death an burial is rather premature....

Status
Not open for further replies.