• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

What’s the top speed potentially these units can get up to running the Waterloo to Poole route ? I know their top speed is 100mph in theory but what’s the highest section of the route for speed ?
100mph.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dibbo4025

How many of the restrictions on routeing reamain for the 442s? 9P49 just ran down the slow Surbiton to Woking some seems at least some have been lifted?

theironroad

Established Member
But geographically which part of the line ?

Down main fast between Farnborough and 45MP
Down main fast between just after worting junction and just before Eastleigh station

Up main fast between eastleigh and about a mile before worting jnc
Up main fast from just after Basingstoke to just before byfleet and new haw

These are permanent line speeds, there are a number of temporary and emergency restrictions currently

Even with green signals, neither 442 or desiros always get to line speed depending on where they've stopped.

theironroad

Established Member
How many of the restrictions on routeing reamain for the 442s? 9P49 just ran down the slow Surbiton to Woking some seems at least some have been lifted?

Platforms 10-16 at Waterloo Only
Down slow through brookwood restriction
Down slow through Basingstoke restriction

In a emergency, the restrictions can be waived under certain conditions I believe, but not sure exactly what they are

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What’s the top speed potentially these units can get up to running the Waterloo to Poole route ? I know their top speed is 100mph in theory but what’s the highest section of the route for speed ?
100 mph max, quite a bit of 90.

fgwrich

Established Member
As in non-stop Guildford-Havant? I remember the "super-fast" services, way back when.

I have a question: Along the ends of the carriages, where the end is joined to the roof, there is what looks like a very very poorly-done weld, or what would happen if you painted a line of paint remover across the paintwork. What's that all about?

I know the area you're talking about - The top or corner part of each Mk3 is actually made of Fibreglass - The bottom half and roof both are made of steel, so the area you'd have seen is where the fibreglass meets the steel. That's then screwed to the steel roof (and end walls) and covered with a thin layer of fibreglass sealant (the rougher looking bit).

VEP3417

could always sort the broken window by...sticking a class 73 on the front...one can only dream :lol:

imagine a 73 painted in swr colours :s

spark001uk

Established Member
Looks like a full diagram out again today. 9P34/37/52 etc., due to a train fault. But they're not just marking them cancelled like they usually do, rather they're booking them in one by one as CAN workings, ie planned cancellations. Or have I assumed it wrong and this is actually the way they're supposed to do it for all cancellations?!

Snow1964

Established Member
Looks like a full diagram out again today. 9P34/37/52 etc., due to a train fault. But they're not just marking them cancelled like they usually do, rather they're booking them in one by one as CAN workings, ie planned cancellations. Or have I assumed it wrong and this is actually the way they're supposed to do it for all cancellations?!

Isn't there a minimum notice period for a planned cancellation, rather than a cancellation

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member

Journey check has had the whole day's cancellations since first thing including the 0651 9Bxx from SOA to Waterloo .The associated inward ECS from Bournemouth was also cancelled.

infobleep

Veteran Member
there’s only a limited pool of crew trained on 442s, so the ones that do work them should be getting up to speed. Even the risks of SDO are a bit of a red herring. I genuinely think it’s because of passenger flow joining at short platforms. I wonder if investment in additional shelters and seating around where coaches 4 and 5 are would be beneficial and justified?
Well they extended the canopies on platform 9 and 10 at Clapham Junction, so it couldn't be done elsewhere.

Worth noting that today the 7:54 almost ran on time through out. Prior to Guildford it was 1 minute late departing Godalming. It departed Guildford on time and was 2 minutes late into Waterloo.

Today is a Tuesday and it's not half term, so I'd expect a delay.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Apparently the thermostats have been reduced from 21 to 20c but it's fair to say that some of the carriages are still too warm. However, it's a 10 car and there's probably a suitably variation in each carriage to suit everyone.
The problem is on a busy train, trying to locate the one carriage that might suit you.

I was on the 17:25 from Woking yesterday, which heads to Portsmouth. It departed 17:27 and was fairly busy. Whilst I got a seat, there were people standing. Walking down to find right carriage to suit wouldn't be straight forward and once there you might find no seats free.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Well they extended the canopies on platform 9 and 10 at Clapham Junction, so it couldn't be done elsewhere.

Worth noting that today the 7:54 almost ran on time through out. Prior to Guildford it was 1 minute late departing Godalming. It departed Guildford on time and was 2 minutes late into Waterloo.

Today is a Tuesday and it's not half term, so I'd expect a delay.

I notice from the May timetable change this service leaves Portsmouth a couple of minutes earlier at 06.40 (but still the same time at Guildford) so it appears someone has been keeping their eye on this service and it’s performance.

Punctuality of 442s services does however generally seem to be improving.

Monty

Established Member
I notice from the May timetable change this service leaves Portsmouth a couple of minutes earlier at 06.40 (but still the same time at Guildford) so it appears someone has been keeping their eye on this service and it’s performance.

I think as guards and drivers become more experienced in operating the stock the punctuality will improve. I managed to work a 442 into London yesterday morning largely on time apart from the usual shenanigans approaching Waterloo Station, I surprised even myself. :D

That said a fair number of us have made numerous complaints that by and large the 442s cannot keep to Desiro timings, by the looks of it they are preparing to adjust the scheduling to account for this.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I think as guards and drivers become more experienced in operating the stock the punctuality will improve. I managed to work a 442 into London yesterday morning largely on time apart from the usual shenanigans approaching Waterloo Station, I surprised even myself. :D

That said a fair number of us have made numerous complaints that by and large the 442s cannot keep to Desiro timings, by the looks of it they are preparing to adjust the scheduling to account for this.
There surely goes the faster journey time improvements then! In Al seriousness I don't actually know.

A reliable train service is more important.

theironroad

Established Member

The easing of power restriction mode from notch 2 to notch 3 in PRM areas is certainly helping performance.

All NR need to do now is get to rid of the plethora of ESRs and TSRs then all performance will improve, but probably more noticeable in 442s as recovering from 1 or 2 20mph ESRs is painful.

Thumper1127

There certainly seems to be an improvement. If you look at RTT for the evening peak out of Waterloo to, for example, Haslemere (and south thereof) last week there was a marked improvement. The critical 1630 to 1830 departures inclusive were much better than of late. With full formations there is certainly a lot more capacity, especially 1700 to 1730. It’s really interesting to watch, real time, how the 1715 (via Cobham) and 1718 (via Woking) dovetail at Guildford. And, of course, the 1700, 1715 and 1730 are all booked as 442.

Thumper1127

Eight diagrams. Each unit is diagrammed, just they stay together all day.

Oh, right, unit diagrams rather than train diagrams. Only 7 units to go (effectively 3 trains plus a spare unit). I wonder if they are all still required now. Is there still an intention to run 4ph through to Portsmouth (which, operationally seems daft and risky) I wonder. If not, what would the introduction of all 18 units release for strengthening as, as far as I’m aware, there are currently no planned short formations. Reintroducing the 442s was partly to release 450s for extra services (Portsmouth to Weymouth extension, Portsmouth to Southampton fasts) but as this seems unlikely to happen are all 18 still required? Just throwing it out there as a discussion point.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Oh, right, unit diagrams rather than train diagrams. Only 7 units to go (effectively 3 trains plus a spare unit). I wonder if they are all still required now. Is there still an intention to run 4ph through to Portsmouth (which, operationally seems daft and risky) I wonder. If not, what would the introduction of all 18 units release for strengthening as, as far as I’m aware, there are currently no planned short formations. Reintroducing the 442s was partly to release 450s for extra services (Portsmouth to Weymouth extension, Portsmouth to Southampton fasts) but as this seems unlikely to happen are all 18 still required? Just throwing it out there as a discussion point.

My guess is would allows for a bit more slack in the 450/444 availability. I presume that currently the Desiro fleets are being stretched as much as possible to cover the shortfall in 442s ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.