• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
The last thing you want or need is a unit with a buckeye in front/rear of one fitted with a Dellner type as it means that you will require the services of a fitter to come and fit the ECA so you can attach one to the other and even then once fitted it will be a very slow manoeuvre.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When they get an interior refurb will it just be new seat covers and carpets in SWR colours or will it be more extensive than that?

class387

Established Member
That means they'll be absolutely cr4p.
I actually quite like the new 455 motors from an enthusiast's perspective. They seem to retain the traditional DC motor whine while hopefully having the reliability of an AC motor.

This is when they don't explode that is. ;)

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
No they won't it'll be like a 455 :)

We've got two hopes, Bob & No. My money is on No, as Bob is deceased, especially with 455s reliability being pretty damn poor since their retractioning, I've had to do at least two complete shutdowns and restarts, one successful, one partially.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I actually quite like the new 455 motors from an enthusiast's perspective. They seem to retain the traditional DC motor whine while hopefully having the reliability of an AC motor.

This is when they don't explode that is. ;)
That wasn't to do with the traction motors I read.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will the new traction package be identical to that fitted to the 455s or a more powerful version?

trainmania100

Established Member
I'm hoping they retain that lovely rhythm sound they make especially noticable when parked in a platform. No idea if it's the traction motors or what but for me I love that sound and the scream they make when they fly through station

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I'm hoping they retain that lovely rhythm sound they make especially noticable when parked in a platform. No idea if it's the traction motors or what but for me I love that sound and the scream they make when they fly through station

Does the forum have a doctor? This one needs some therapy & a straitjacket. :lol:

Suraggu

We've got two hopes, Bob & No. My money is on No, as Bob is deceased, especially with 455s reliability being pretty damn poor since their retractioning, I've had to do at least two complete shutdowns and restarts, one successful, one partially.
You cannot insinuate that. They have never been more reliable ;)

Suraggu

Are you on the grog tonite? o_O;)
Aye Spiced Rum and ice tonight, rather fitting looking over the Harbour. No in all seriousness they are still far superior to the class 458. Hopefully lessons have been learnt from the retractioning of the 455 fleet that can be put to use with the 442.

Mind you with the 442's looking likely to be diagrammed for fairly intensive use on the Pompey direct, they need to be able to cope.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I thought the existing 442 doors were only very marginally narrower than the regs now require, (ie a few mm) and DfT had already given this a permanent approval.
That was also my impression...

from
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le/203816/class-442-angel-covering-letter.pdf

The external doors on this fleet have only a narrow throughway. Ideally this would be increased but it is recognised that this would involve modifications to the structure of the vehicle and is likely to have a high cost. I tested with the reference wheelchair and found that it is possible - but certainly not easy - to board. Therefore, although the Department does not require the doors to be widened we would certainly encourage Angel to consider whether something similar to the new powered door solution fitted to Chiltern's Mk3s would be appropriate here.

Whether they decide to do so or not is down to them. I suspect it would be the HST GTi solution if they did go for alternate doors.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A bit more information here: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...-awards-class-442-refurbishment-contract.html
45m for 18 units is £2.5m per unit.
Work to be undertaken at Eastleigh to increase the reliability and efficiency of the units will include replacing the life-expired DC traction equipment with an AC package incorporating IGBT technology from Kiepe Electric Düsseldorf.
New brake controls from Knorr-Bremse Rail Vehicle Systems will permit regenerative braking, improving the units’ environmental performance and lowering operating costs.
New seats and Axminster carpets will be installed, along with real-time passenger information, LED lighting and passenger wi-fi.
There will be at-seat power sockets in first and standard class, and table-top inductive charging facilities in first.
There will be spaces for passengers with reduced mobility, and accessible toilets

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will the new traction package be identical to that fitted to the 455s or a more powerful version?
The weight of a 4 x 20m 455 must logically be about two thirds that of a 5 x 23m 442. It would surely be pretty unlikely for the packages to be identical. It may well use the same control system building blocks, but with significantly higher powered traction converters and motors.

BestWestern

Established Member

Surely AC would allow them to hit 110 with OHLE... But then again they are meant for use on the Portsmouth line, which I don't think allows even 100mph on the Woking-Waterloo section, so without overhead... it would be useless.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Surely AC would allow them to hit 110 with OHLE... But then again they are meant for use on the Portsmouth line, which I don't think allows even 100mph on the Woking-Waterloo section, so without overhead... it would be useless.

So what about any occasion when the direct is shut and they get diverted via Eastleigh? That's a 100 mph railway.

Also that argument doesn't stand up because all the Desiro fleet is 100 mph capable, but they (450s) do all sorts of work and that includes lines where the speed limit is only 60 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.