• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 450/444

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Saw a class 444 joined to a 450 today in passenger service is this at all unusual?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
Saw one yesterday evening at Totton on a stopper for Bournemouth or Poole with a 444 + 450. It seems to happen all the time though I am sure that others have commnetd on here that a faullt in one unit can be replicated in the other.

I have now seen 1 x 444, 2 x 444, 1 x 450 + 1 x 444, 1 x 444, 2 x 444 and 3 x 444! I wonder if anyone has ever tried to couple a 444 with 2 x 450s (as ECS)!

387star

On Moderation
where do the majority of passenegrs head lol they should stick them more often on the portsmouth line nice combo of livery!

was lucky enough to see the named 444s coupled today with naomi house followed by destination weymouth

I also find it interesting how the 450 and 444 turns vary through Havant because in the early evening all you see are 450s for some reason

As an aside those 3+2 seats on 377s really are uncomfortable and worse than the 450s wouldn't ppl agree?

Oracle

Established Member
450s have run down to Weymouth..that must be fun to/from Waterloo. I have been down to Poole on one and that was not exactly marvellous but beggars can't be choosers!

Oracle

Established Member
Do the disparate units have coupling/uncoupling proiblems in practice? Years ago two 1973 Stock double-ender units intended for the Aldwych shuttle were experimentally coupled together at Northfields Depot. Rumour has it that the chaps needed a crowbar to seperate the two!

O L Leigh

Established Member
Years ago two 1973 Stock double-ender units intended for the Aldwych shuttle were experimentally coupled together at Northfields Depot. Rumour has it that the chaps needed a crowbar to seperate the two!

Could be worse.

I'm given to believe that fun was had with the two batches of Cl465 Networker units. The first time that a BREL/ABB unit (Cl465/0) was coupled to a GEC/Alsthom (Met-Camm) unit (Cl465/2) the driver put his key in and tried to drive the train away only to find that one unit was trying to go one way while the other unit was trying to go the other way. The units were quickly modified so that they could work in multiple without disagreeing.

O L Leigh

TomJ93

No different from LM regularly joining 350/1s and 350/2s really. I've even been on /1-/2-/1 before.

paul1609

Established Member
where do the majority of passenegrs head lol they should stick them more often on the portsmouth line nice combo of livery!

was lucky enough to see the named 444s coupled today with naomi house followed by destination weymouth

I also find it interesting how the 450 and 444 turns vary through Havant because in the early evening all you see are 450s for some reason

As an aside those 3+2 seats on 377s really are uncomfortable and worse than the 450s wouldn't ppl agree?

The use of Combos on the Portsmouth line seems to be avoided now. If the 450s at the London end it means at the shorter stations only the 450s doors open because the 444 is hanging out the back of the platform at stations like Fratton. Trapped passengers tend to panic and operate the emergency door release. There also seems to be a problem getting the doors to open in the 444 after the selective door opening has been in use. Ive seen a combo sit for 20 mins at Havant as staff attempted to rescue a wheelchair user in the 444.

Im not sure how selective unit door operating was ever deemed to be safe tbh.

RobShipway

Established Member
I thought platforms at Christchurch, Brockenhurst, Southampton, Southampton Parkway and Eastleigh where designed for 14 coach trains?

nowananorack

Eastleigh can take 10 coaches (2 x 444) or 12 coaches (3 x 450) on all three platforms except on platform 3 northbound bound due to the positioning of a signal and a set of points close to the north end of the platform. ok southbound.
Southampton Parkway is the same on both of it's platforms.

thefab444

Established Member
I thought platforms at Christchurch, Brockenhurst, Southampton, Southampton Parkway and Eastleigh where designed for 14 coach trains?

Christchurch can't even take 10 coaches. The others are 10 x 23 / 12 x 20 max, except as mentioned above; Eastleigh p3 northbound, and Brockenhurst p1 southbound IIRC.

Oracle

Established Member
Ashurst can only take accept four or five cars of course, same with Totton, and Beaulieu Road is generally guard's door only. Isn;t there also a problem with one of Clapham Junction's platforms (the canted one)?

Status
Not open for further replies.