• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 455 Southern Diagrams (Sundays??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrow trains

Hello, just wondered if there's set diagrams for Sothern Class 455's before they are due to go by the May timetable change, or simply what routes they can be found on please? Also, any idea if they tend to be out on Sundays? Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LA50041

Established Member
Hello, just wondered if there's set diagrams for Sothern Class 455's before they are due to go by the May timetable change, or simply what routes they can be found on please? Also, any idea if they tend to be out on Sundays? Cheers.
Yes they are generally out on Sundays, London Bridge-Caterham and Victoria-West Croydon are usually 455’s depending on engineering works

barrow trains

Ok cheers, will see what's about tomorrow.

Morning, any idea of anything that's got a 455 on Southern today please? Cheers

Last edited:

PGAT

Established Member
Yes they are generally out on Sundays, London Bridge-Caterham and Victoria-West Croydon are usually 455’s depending on engineering works
Also the London Bridge - Beckenham Junction and London Bridge - Coulsdon Town routes have the Class 455s. Just be aware the Coulsdon Town only runs on Saturdays (terminates at East Croydon Mondays-Fridays, terminates at Caterham/Tattenham Corner on Sunday as a Class 377) and these routes sometimes have the Class 377s running.

PGAT

Established Member
No Southern 455's to Victoria this Sunday.... (all Easter weekend)
I believe the Epsom Downs trains are terminating at Selhurst

There is also another service between Sutton and Streatham Hill.

Although these services vary between 377s and 455s and it is impossible to plan.

Once I saw a 455 working a Dorking-London Bridge via Hackbridge service

LA50041

Established Member
Also the London Bridge - Beckenham Junction and London Bridge - Coulsdon Town routes have the Class 455s. Just be aware the Coulsdon Town only runs on Saturdays (terminates at East Croydon Mondays-Fridays, terminates at Caterham/Tattenham Corner on Sunday as a Class 377) and these routes sometimes have the Class 377s running.
However the OP asked about Sunday diagrams and there are no Sunday services on The Beckenham or Coulsdon town routes on Sunday

ELR1970RIP

I only found out that the 455s were going in May the other day, came as a shock as thought they had a fair future. So I need to plan a trip to London to get some more before they go, but does anyone know is it a steady run down with fewer and fewer sets in service or will it be a mass withdrawal at the end. I ask as I'm thinking of around 5th May going. I think ( but may be wrong without checking) that a good bit of their work is within zone 6 travelcard ( hopefully)

cactustwirly

Established Member
I only found out that the 455s were going in May the other day, came as a shock as thought they had a fair future. So I need to plan a trip to London to get some more before they go, but does anyone know is it a steady run down with fewer and fewer sets in service or will it be a mass withdrawal at the end. I ask as I'm thinking of around 5th May going. I think ( but may be wrong without checking) that a good bit of their work is within zone 6 travelcard ( hopefully)

They all get withdrawn on the 14th

ELR1970RIP

They will be running on the 14th
I knew 14th is the last day, but will that last week or two only have a very few sets out with most withdrawn or is it a case of a mass withdrawal after that last day? I don't want to go to london looking for them on one of those last two weeks to find 377s etc on most workings - I'm in Lincolnshire ( once we had direct trains to KX from here but now the line is long gone)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There was a posting in another thread which suggested a reasonably full complement of 455s during the day on 14 May but with gradual substitutions of 377s as the 455s are withdrawn from service during the evening.

The point would appear to be that because the change in operations is substantial and requires service changes to release 377s that aren't effective until 15 May, it isn't possible to withdraw a substantial number of 455s earlier.

LA50041

Established Member
I knew 14th is the last day, but will that last week or two only have a very few sets out with most withdrawn or is it a case of a mass withdrawal after that last day? I don't want to go to london looking for them on one of those last two weeks to find 377s etc on most workings - I'm in Lincolnshire ( once we had direct trains to KX from here but now the line is long gone)
Friday 13th May should be a normal SX service as currently with 28 455’s out.

On the Saturday any diagrams that start from a depot but end up stabled at a station will be swapped out for appropriate stock for the Sunday morning.
Any diagrams that start and end at a station will be swapped out sometime in the early evening for appropriate electrostars for the new timetable.

I will try and post the diagrams for 455’s on the last day in the SN 455 Withdrawal thread once the CWN are published

ELR1970RIP

On the Saturday any diagrams that start from a depot but end up stabled at a station will be swapped out for appropriate stock for the Sunday morning.
Any diagrams that start and end at a station will be swapped out sometime in the early evening for appropriate electrostars for the new timetable.

I will try and post the diagrams for 455’s on the last day in the SN 455 Withdrawal thread once the CWN are published
Thanks, that is good to know I will have to plan a trip to london. I think as they work fairly short runs should be able to get a few in on an afternoon/early evening - I'll probably aim for the 2130 off KX home as think thats a Mk4 set as opposed to the horrible Azumas!

Thanks, that is good to know I will have to plan a trip to london. I think as they work fairly short runs should be able to get a few in on an afternoon/early evening - I'll probably aim for the 2130 off KX home as think thats a Mk4 set as opposed to the horrible Azumas!
I wonder where is best to base myself to get them - Victoria or London Bridge?

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member

I wonder where is best to base myself to get them - Victoria or London Bridge?

Both tbh.
Mainly Victoria to Sutton/Epsom Downs ams London Bridge to Caterham via Peckam, Beckenham and Coulsdon Town

barrow trains

Apologies haven't been active in a while , but when I went up a couple Sundays ago, they were mainly found on Victoria - Epsom Downs and London Bridge - Crystal Palace if that's any help to anyone.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Anyone know what is going to be 455 operated this BH Monday?
The Caterhams are splitting and joining with Tattenham corner services so I'm guessing these are 377s?

NSE

Established Member
Yeah Cats/Tats splitters are 377/6/7’s

LA50041

Established Member
Anyone know what is going to be 455 operated this BH Monday?
The Caterhams are splitting and joining with Tattenham corner services so I'm guessing these are 377s?
Best bet for 455’s Monday are London Bridge - Beckenham and Balham - Epsom Downs

PGAT

Established Member
I assume you mean the 2K's? These are extended to Sutton and formed of Electrostars
The Balham-Epsom Downs and Balham-Sutton routes alternate between the 377s and the 455s. Just got to be lucky I guess?

Murray J

will the Epsom Downs service be operated by 455s this coming bank holiday Monday? Planning a trip to get some mileage on them before they're retired so it'd be appreciated if I could know in advance whether they actually operate this service or not on weekend service patterns.

LA50041

Established Member
The Balham-Epsom Downs and Balham-Sutton routes alternate between the 377s and the 455s. Just got to be lucky I guess?
The Balham - Epsom Downs and Balham - Sutton are totally separate diagrams so no “luck” needed

will the Epsom Downs service be operated by 455s this coming bank holiday Monday? Planning a trip to get some mileage on them before they're retired so it'd be appreciated if I could know in advance whether they actually operate this service or not on weekend service patterns.
Yes, all Balham- Epsom downs are booked 8 455 on Monday. They can also be found on the London Bridge - Beckenham junction service

Murray J

The Balham - Epsom Downs and Balham - Sutton are totally separate diagrams so no “luck” needed

Yes, all Balham- Epsom downs are booked 8 455 on Monday. They can also be found on the London Bridge - Beckenham junction service
Oh fantastic, thanks!

Southern

Is there any likelihood that they'll end up on any of the old roads on Saturday, i.e. Victoria - Dorking/Horsham. Guess it's a bit early to tell at the moment, can't believe in two weeks time they'll bow out for good...still remember being a kid and seeing 804 in it's new livery for the first time.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Is there any likelihood that they'll end up on any of the old roads on Saturday, i.e. Victoria - Dorking/Horsham. Guess it's a bit early to tell at the moment, can't believe in two weeks time they'll bow out for good...still remember being a kid and seeing 804 in it's new livery for the first time.
They went down to Dorking 3 weeks ago. I fear that may be the last time, unless the railtour is going that way.

PGAT

Established Member
They went down to Dorking 3 weeks ago. I fear that may be the last time, unless the railtour is going that way.
The rail tour is going to Dorking & Horsham. One thing that surprised me is that the rail tour is going to Charing Cross, Elephant & Castle, Sevenoaks and Orpington

LA50041

Established Member
No plans for 455’s to Dorking or anywhere else unusual on the last day

Status
Not open for further replies.