• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 458 Yaw Dampers (or lack thereof)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrielhj07

Hi all,

I was looking at Class 458 photos when I noticed the lack of yaw dampers on the /5 units, while they are present on the /0 units.

Does anyone know why these were removed during their reformations, and if they are likely to be reinstated when the units are shortened?

Attached for reference is my photo of a /5 bogie, and a /0 photo from trainlogger.co.uk

Attachments

• 949F8563-0B91-466A-B0CE-8ACBACCEA976.jpeg
    949F8563-0B91-466A-B0CE-8ACBACCEA976.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 140
  • 605AB1E2-AB7C-41A0-A1E5-8CE5C54A737E.jpeg
    605AB1E2-AB7C-41A0-A1E5-8CE5C54A737E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I was looking at Class 458 photos when I noticed the lack of yaw dampers on the /5 units, while they are present on the /0 units.

Does anyone know why these were removed during their reformations, and if they are likely to be reinstated when the units are shortened?

Attached for reference is my photo of a /5 bogie, and a /0 photo from trainlogger.co.uk
They wouldn’t normally fit yaw dampers to 75 mph units, so it is likely they were intentionally removed during conversion, and like you I expect they’ll have to go back on...

gabrielhj07

They wouldn’t normally fit yaw dampers to 75 mph units, so it is likely they were intentionally removed during conversion, and like you I expect they’ll have to go back on...
Thanks,

Would that not have been a bit of unnecessary hassle to take them off, rather than leaving them in place?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks,

Would that not have been a bit of unnecessary hassle to take them off, rather than leaving them in place?
I guess they assumed they’d never be converted back. Probably a reasonable call at the time, but you’d think they’d be relatively maintenance free. Perhaps there was an identifiable maintenance saving.

On Moderation
Thanks,

It’s a maintenance saving. Don’t fit something that’s not needed - it just costs more to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.