• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CLASS 465/466

Gaz67

Planning a trip to the South East and was wondering if the 466s run in service as 2 car trains.Also do 465s run as single units off peak or on branch lines.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simple Answer is No. Not allowed due to not being DDA Conpliant. They are only allowed to operate attatched to a 465.
Hence why their previous Strongholds on the Medway Valley Line and Sheerness Branch are now 375 operated.

Murray J

Planning a trip to the South East and was wondering if the 466s run in service as 2 car trains.
Might be wrong but I don't think they do. The Sittingbourne services now use a 3-car 375 and the Bromley North shuttle is diagrammed for a 465.

gazr

On my recent visits to SE land, they are running more 12 car trains as oppose to 10 car (using a 466)... Anyone know why?

CarrotPie

Do 465s run as single units off peak or on branch lines?.
Yes, as mentioned on the Bromley North shuttle and on most 2Kxx Victoria to Gillingham slows. They may also run individually on some CHX services too, but I dunno. On RTT, 465 services are "Planned for 75mph max", so that should help you identify them. The timetables show the planned lengths, so any 4-car services pathed as 75mph should be individual 465s.

Last edited:

Gaz67

Yes, as mentioned on the Bromley North shuttle and on most 2Kxx Victoria to Gillingham slows. They may also run individually on some CHX services too, but I dunno. On RTT 465 services are "Planned for 75mph max", so that should help you identify them. The timetables show the planned lengths, so any 4-car services pathed as 75mph should be individual 465s.
Thanks for that , that makes life a lot easier.

ponponjo

No problem! 465/9s generally end up on Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Gillingham services due to their better interiors.
Since Southeastern abolished first class, I've found that they seem to be much more randomly distributed. Indeed, I believe the 465/9s are no longer diagrammed separately to the others.

nw1

Established Member
Thanks for that , that makes life a lot easier.

Southeastern publish their CWNs which detail everything:

Single 465s are found on 2 out of the 3 off peak diagrams on the Gillingham stoppers (not 1142 and 1442, which are a single 377).

Also one of the 4 Cannon Street-Orpington off peak diagrams seems to be a single 465 (includes the 1227 and 1427).

(On a related matter, why are all 465s shown as '465W' on the CWN? I also seem to remember '377W' appearing on some (not all) 377 workings in an 00s CWN for Victoria that I have).