• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
They didn't look old inside though as they had a major refurbishment done between 2005 and 2008

Inside_modern_D_stock_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1467028.jpg

The refurbishment wasn’t *that* extensive, indeed is was scaled down from what was originally planned - mainly due to it being much later than originally planned so the stock’s life was correspondingly reduced, so making more extensive work harder to justify. The work done to the prototype trailer was more extensive.

An example of the cosmetic nature was the door chimes simply going through the PA system, so didn’t sound if an announcement was being made!

It wasn’t a bad job for what it was, but a reasonably keen eye could readily spot that the trains were rather old.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
They were DOO in LT days so don't see a problem

Last edited by a moderator:

A60stock

The refurbishment wasn’t *that* extensive, indeed is was scaled down from what was originally planned - mainly due to it being much later than originally planned so the stock’s life was correspondingly reduced, so making more extensive work harder to justify. The work done to the prototype trailer was more extensive.

An example of the cosmetic nature was the door chimes simply going through the PA system, so didn’t sound if an announcement was being made!

It wasn’t a bad job for what it was, but a reasonably keen eye could readily spot that the trains were rather old.

Very interesting as i would have thought it was major. What other changes were planned but which were excluded in the end? Also what give aways were there around the stocks age?

I am visiting the IOW next week, is it likely any class 483s will be in service please?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Shouldn't that be "Class 483" (singular)? ;)

There is a 2 train service at the moment - a friend is paying his (last) respects on Friday. He used to drive them on the Northern line. Hopefully they can be kept going for a few months longer.......

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Are the Class 484's going to work alongside the 483's or are they going to wait until they've all arrived and replace the 483's all at once.

Peter C

Established Member
A tweet from SWR with build images. Branded and numbered. https://twitter.com/SW_Help/status/1296356407470624768?s=19
And a couple of slightly different photos: https://twitter.com/PaulCliftonBBC/status/1296362136311140352

@PaulCliftonBBC on Twitter said:
First look: here is the new @Vivarail train heading to @IslandLineUK@SW_Help on the Isle of Wight this autumn. The line will close Jan-March for infrastructure upgrade. More on @BBCSouthNews
1597913016362.png1597913022813.png

-Peter

Mikey C

Established Member
A very familiar looking interior. Same seating layout, and the handrails haven't changed either

DavidGrain

Established Member
The build is more advanced than I thought it was as there are still three trains still in build for Transport for Wales and Vivarail are about to do a factory move which I expected to take place before they started on the Island Line trains.

Bob Price

That was what I expected from their Twitter feed. TfW 008 is out testing today, 9 and 10 are well advanced so guess work started early on the 484's.

Meerkat

Established Member
Seems odd to have no luggage provision at all?
It’s all short trips though - I think people prefer just having their luggage in front of them where they know it’s safe (and a lot of people will be fiddling with it as they adapt from travel configuration to walking configuration).

BayPaul

Established Member
It’s all short trips though - I think people prefer just having their luggage in front of them where they know it’s safe (and a lot of people will be fiddling with it as they adapt from travel configuration to walking configuration).
I'd agree. The mainly longitudinal seating layout means there is ample space after all, it's not like a standard seating arrangement where if there is no luggage provision it needs to go on a seat or block an aisle

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd agree. The mainly longitudinal seating layout means there is ample space after all, it's not like a standard seating arrangement where if there is no luggage provision it needs to go on a seat or block an aisle

True, though the Tube has standbacks on lines that have particularly high luggage carriage, whereas Vivarail have left the seats there.

Journeyman

Established Member
True, though the Tube has standbacks on lines that have particularly high luggage carriage, whereas Vivarail have left the seats there.

When the tube stock was first introduced on the island in the sixties, luggage racks were provided because the system was swamped with holidaymakers in the summer. That traffic has dwindled to almost nothing now.

BayPaul

Established Member
The little single seats on the D stock kind of fulfil that role anyway. People can sit in them, just like they can perch in the standbacks, but there is also a good amount of space to put luggage on a quieter train. I can't see the Island Line ever being as packed as the District.

Meerkat

Established Member
Last time I went on the Island Line there was a full Scottish pipes and drums band crowded in our carriage and all their equipment fitted on the floor amongst them. We had rucksacks on our laps or between our feet.
The band were piling into the hipflasks at 9:30am after a full performance on the outside deck of the Portsmouth-Ryde ferry, much to the bemusement/astonishment of the foreign tourists!

VEP3417

just heard a piece on the new trains on south today, any idea when the old ones are going or the last day/celebration might be or might that not happen at all considering the recent goings on with the virus ect as heard the line will be closed from december for a couple of months for track/signal work to start

VEP3417

i was wondering if they where going to stop using the old trains after theyve done the track/signal work thats all as would like to pay a final visit

Status
Not open for further replies.