• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Wightlink actually had a feature on their website the other day about abnormal loads and showed various locos being loaded and unloaded as well as the recent journey of the tamper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Slightly off topic, did they scrap the 05 on the island or take it back to the mainland?

D2554 was moved to the Steam Railway at Havenstreet where it's resided ever since.

I read it as being: first time since 1989 for "a train ... on a lorry ... on a ferry", which it isn't. But I agree it's ambiguous, and he may have been specifically referring to Island Line stock :).

He's just tweeted "But 1989 was the last delivery of a “new” mainline train", everyone happy?

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
I don't suppose by sheer luck anyone is live streaming any part of this move today? Thought it worth an ask.
Edit:
Found a couple of bits of footage/pics on Railcam twitter feed (credit: @paul_montague).

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’ve seen a picture of it at the Portsmouth end of the St Claire ferry, right next to the prow

RichT54

Report from the Island Echo

The first of the new Class 484 trains set to operate on Island Line from 2021 has arrived on the Isle of Wight this afternoon (Thursday), marking a significant milestone in the delivery of a modern railway for the future.

IE191308-copy-990x679.jpg

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/first-new-train-for-island-line-arrives-on-the-isle-of-wight/

Gloster

Established Member
It's been posted on another forum that Island Line will run hourly from 20th November to 23rd December to allow for fault free running and driver training, so the first 484 should be imminent. The line is also closed on the 5th and 6th of December for 'maintenance'.

According to Ryde Esplanade today the reduction to hourly had been put back to an unknown date, possibly because they are not ready to start the work.

Phil Scott

Does anyone know the original D78 numbers of the vehicles converted into the Class 484 units please?

Gloster

Established Member
According to who?

For the first point, it was the staff in the Booking Office when I went in and made what could be seen as a train enquiry, i.e. I did not put a direct question. The second point was a comment from a member of the public, which is why I used the word possibly.

Chris125

Established Member
Can anyone see if 484001 has tripcocks fitted? I did look but they aren't the most obvious things - presumably not needed after March but might allow some daytime running before the New Year?

For the first point, it was the staff in the Booking Office when I went in and made what could be seen as a train enquiry, i.e. I did not put a direct question. The second point was a comment from a member of the public, which is why I used the word possibly.

Still showing as hourly on National Rail Enquiries but I wouldn't put too much trust in that.

Gag Halfrunt

Rail Business UK article about the delivery of the first unit.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I hope someone’s filing these pictures of the ferry transfer, they can be brought out again in 30 years time when someone asks how can they possibly get the next new trains across the Solent... :D

IOW Council YouTube video:

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Does anyone know if RTT shows non-passenger workings on IOW.? I know there's no live reports on the island, but would the schedules show up?
Just wondering as the testing should be starting soon and would be nice to see timings in advance. I suppose if it was done in the daytime it could only run in the usual 20-40 pattern. But at night it could be any time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the 483s are not being scrapped in situ, will it make sense to use the same transporters to return one of the more hopeless cases back to the mainland, rather than making an empty journey?

Non Multi

If the 483s are not being scrapped in situ, will it make sense to use the same transporters to return one of the more hopeless cases back to the mainland, rather than making an empty journey?
That removes the opportunity to conveniently rob them for spare parts until all the new units arrive.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That removes the opportunity to conveniently rob them for spares until all the new units arrive.
Don’t you think they’ve already been robbing them for spares for many years, which is why they struggle to get two working For more than a few weeks at a time?

Non Multi

Don’t you think they’ve already been robbing them for spares for many years, which is why they struggle to get two working For more than a few weeks at a time?
Depends on what's left of those dead units. Would be surprised if they were organised enough to swap new trains for the old stripped shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.