• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
Another period of impressive reliability sadly came to an end today, 002 had to replace 003 at St Johns today after "a problem with the on-board safety systems".

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
I wouldn’t call it “impressive reliability” when only one serviceable unit is needed each day from four potentially available, and the in-service unit runs not much more than 250 miles during a day’s service.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wouldn’t call it “impressive reliability” when only one serviceable unit is needed each day from four potentially available, and the in-service unit runs not much more than 250 miles during a day’s service.
Indeed, the railway has gone from 0% spares allowance to 300% spares allowance and in due course 400%!

RTT is showing all services as four car. Not sure if one off or not. Are loading higher on a Friday, just a thought.

Smitham

They ran a 4 car service for the first week or so.

Edit: Checked on Ryde cam and its a 2 car running.

Last edited:
RTT now showing four car until 1217 from Shanklin which appears to become two cars from St John's Road. Rest of the day two car.

Chris125

Established Member

It's a relative term; considering the issues in testing, the universal talk from those supposedly 'in the know' that the trains still didn't work and wouldn't for a long time yet just weeks - days even - before the line reopened, and the endless derision Vivarail get on forums like this, seeing the same unit work day after day after day without any significant fault is impressive given what I and most others probably expected.

abn444

Another period of impressive reliability sadly came to an end today, 002 had to replace 003 at St Johns today after "a problem with the on-board safety systems".
The one I was on last Friday (ie just over a week ago) failed in service (I think that was 002 as well). It was the 16:15 off Shanklin, it was about to go but then didn't go anywhere, I think the guard said the brakes had locked on. Anyway it sat there for about 25 minutes before going out empty to Ryde depot. It came back later for the next one (the 17:15) and I was surprised that it was actually the same unit. The guard said that a fuse had to be replaced. Not a major issue but resulted in the 16:15 off Shanklin and it's return being cancelled

BayPaul

Established Member
It's a relative term; considering the issues in testing, the universal talk from those supposedly 'in the know' that the trains still didn't work and wouldn't for a long time yet just weeks - days even - before the line reopened, and the endless derision Vivarail get on forums like this, seeing the same unit work day after day after day without any significant fault is impressive given what I and most others probably expected.
And considering how poor reliability in general seems to be for new fleets, yeah I'd agree

DelW

Established Member
Makes you wonder how the Ryde staff will keep themselves busy!
Well, they're probably repainting the roofs every night, to cover up the scrapes from where the trains don't fit through Ryde tunnel :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Well, they're probably repainting the roofs every night, to cover up the scrapes from where the trains don't fit through Ryde tunnel :lol:
:D :D :D Nice one. We could maybe start a rumour that 005 is still on the mainland having its roof lowered…

Peter Sarf

Established Member
:D :D :D Nice one. We could maybe start a rumour that 005 is still on the mainland having its roof lowered…
I heard that Eastleigh lowered 005 too much thinking it had to match the deep level tube gauge. The delay is because they are having to put back some of the metal they cut off and are having to rummage around in a skip to find the right bits with the right colours on. Real headache - for anyone trying to walk through it :lol::E.

Chris125

Established Member
Perhaps only vaguely on-topic but this video just uploaded has rare scenes of the newly converted Standard Stock reminiscent of the 484s test runs out of Eastleigh - some in BR blue but one shot even shows vehicles doing test runs unpainted, quite a bizarre sight.

The one I was on last Friday (ie just over a week ago) failed in service (I think that was 002 as well). It was the 16:15 off Shanklin, it was about to go but then didn't go anywhere, I think the guard said the brakes had locked on. Anyway it sat there for about 25 minutes before going out empty to Ryde depot. It came back later for the next one (the 17:15) and I was surprised that it was actually the same unit. The guard said that a fuse had to be replaced. Not a major issue but resulted in the 16:15 off Shanklin and it's return being cancelled

Wow, you were pretty unlucky - didn't notice any mention of this online and I've been trying to check RTT every day so surprised this passed me by.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Not sure what would have caused the blown fuse but presumably it resulted in a relay failing to energise.

abn444

Perhaps only vaguely on-topic but this video just uploaded has rare scenes of the newly converted Standard Stock reminiscent of the 484s test runs out of Eastleigh - some in BR blue but one shot even shows vehicles doing test runs unpainted, quite a bizarre sight.

Wow, you were pretty unlucky - didn't notice any mention of this online and I've been trying to check RTT every day so surprised this passed me by.
It was relatively minor but these are the ones that got cancelled. It's due to an "issue with the train crew" but that's not what really happened.

Chris125

Established Member
I guess RTT isn't totally dependable - it's currently describing the 17:20 to Pier Head and return as cancelled due to a fault with the train, though it's actually just running about 15mins late.

XAM2175

Established Member
I guess RTT isn't totally dependable - it's currently describing the 17:20 to Pier Head and return as cancelled due to a fault with the train, though it's actually just running about 15mins late.
It repeats what the industry systems tell it.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It was relatively minor but these are the ones that got cancelled. It's due to an "issue with the train crew" but that's not what really happened.

And the 'real' reason was?

pdeaves

Established Member
An issue with the train which caused the brakes to stay on
Hypothetically, and only a thought inspired by this (not an accusation). How would the system code it if the train crew not as familiar with new stock couldn't get the train to move ('a fault with the train') but the root cause was actually the driver forgetting to press a particular switch or something ('an issue with train crew' maybe)?

kentrailman

Thought I would get myself an island line rover ticket today to properly try out the new trains.

I didn't get far ! All services suspended due to 'points failure' . A train apparently stuck at shanklin. I should say 'the' train ! Not much need for points with the current single train service !

Now apparently running again though!

Status
Not open for further replies.