• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 50, 50017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alycidon

Hi All.

Just been browsing the net and seen that this loco has come onto the market, currently at Tyesley.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on it, like recent work done to it etc. And any reports from previous outings/workings.

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kestrel

In scrap alone its worth a good 5 figures!

The loco was mainline operational 10yrs ago (before TPWS and OTMR) it has had some work done on it in recent years and has been fired up, not sure whether it can take power tho:roll:

Whoever buys it would need to be an existing class 50 owner or a large group, as parts are getting scarce now (50 specific), maybe that chap that was collecting drink cans for it in the final years of 50 op's might want another go???

remember buying the loco is the EASY bit, getting plenty of spares a good reliable support crew and most important a railway that would have it based on and give it some running dates is a tad harder;).

Phoenix

Established Member
In scrap alone its worth a good 5 figures!

The loco was mainline operational 10yrs ago (before TPWS and OTMR) it has had some work done on it in recent years and has been fired up, not sure whether it can take power tho:roll:

Whoever buys it would need to be an existing class 50 owner or a large group, as parts are getting scarce now (50 specific), maybe that chap that was collecting drink cans for it in the final years of 50 op's might want another go???

remember buying the loco is the EASY bit, getting plenty of spares a good reliable support crew and most important a railway that would have it based on and give it some running dates is a tad harder;).

Im sure that there is enough parties that are interested that will find it easy to sort her out.
The thing is when she is sold and either back on the mainline or trundling between preserved railways then that will be the whole class sorted.
Unlike one class member that is being scrapped next week.

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
emunit, finding a decent sizeable support crew for any loco in preservation these days is the hard part, as more locos are being preserved, so the support groups are getting more and more watered down, and sadly there aren't many skilled people anymore.

Phoenix

Established Member
emunit, finding a decent sizeable support crew for any loco in preservation these days is the hard part, as more locos are being preserved, so the support groups are getting more and more watered down, and sadly there aren't many skilled people anymore.

Yeah but on the other hand there's guys like you lot on the 40 appeal who do a great job and are very skilled (a cab ride on sunday's double header say's it all)
The thing is that yes groups ect do get watered down but the problem is people are generally so narrow minded including some individuals I wont mention.

They BASH around on these preserved locos then slate them although they have no problem sticking there head out a train the loco is hauling I mean groups try soo hard and people who barely get out of bed on a sunday let alone do work sit there and criticise.

Established Member
They BASH around on these preserved locos then slate them although they have no problem sticking there head out a train the loco is hauling I mean groups try soo hard and people who barely get out of bed on a sunday let alone do work sit there and criticise.
Yes, obviously it is all the bashers fault :roll:

D9521

Its all about donations anyone who goes on a railtour using a preserved loco should donate to the group as well as pay a fare for their ticket on it.. but they don't care about that they jus want the bash :neutral:

Galvanize

Its all about donations anyone who goes on a railtour using a preserved loco should donate to the group as well as pay a fare for their ticket on it.. but they don't care about that they jus want the bash :neutral:

I can think of an editor of a certain magazine who does just that :roll: He went on Chingfinder's Whistling Pixie railtour back in August '06, he did not pay for a ticket, and refused to take part in the CFPS raffle! :roll:

I'm sure you probably know who i'm on about in that case!

Established Member
I can think of an editor of a certain magazine who does just that :roll: He went on Chingfinder's Whistling Pixie railtour back in August '06, he did not pay for a ticket, and refused to take part in the CFPS raffle! :roll:

I doubt that is the only tour things like that have happened, and probably at galas as well :roll:

Galvanize

I doubt that is the only tour things like that have happened, and probably at galas as well :roll:

I know, it was just an example that nearly everyone would of known who the offending person is! Galas i wouldn't be suprised about though "Gimme a free ticket otherwise i give your event/railtour bad publicity!"

:roll: :roll:

Last edited:

Phoenix

Established Member
Yes, obviously it is all the bashers fault :roll:

I obviously Dont think it's all their fault it's many reasons but what I mean is people talk about certain groups like their a joke but don't stick to what they say and go on their loco's anyway it's the lack of shutting up I blame bashers for.

metrocammel

I obviously Dont think it's all their fault it's many reasons but what I mean is people talk about certain groups like their a joke but don't stick to what they say and go on their loco's anyway it's the lack of shutting up I blame bashers for.

Spotters (and photters) are arguably worse still though. Afterall, at least bashers (usually) pay their fare, which on preserved railways, often goes towards the upkeep of locos / the railway in general, and obviously on Railtours, the fares mean more 'preserved' locos can be hired, and so on...
Therefore, bashers do contribute- it doesn't really matter what they say (and I can't imagine an EE basher ever criticising a 37 preservation project, however, it is likely they will criticise a 47 pres project- which is understandable, due to the 'rivalry' between Sulzer / EE)
On the other hand, people who vegetate on platforms or only phot, do not really help the upkeep of preserved locos- many photters do their fair share of complaining though- especially when it comes to 'flailing'. If they actually paid towards preservation of the loco they are photting, then they have a right to complain, but if not- they don't really.

I feel, overall, the 'bashers' do not have anything to be blamed for when it comes to lack of funds for preservation. IMO, it seems quite the opposite. If anything, 'bashers' are often given a bad reputation by a number of 'bad apples', who do avoid paying fares on tours/ galas, and flail / shout obsceneties. These make up a tiny % of the whole bashing community.

Phoenix

Established Member
Spotters (and photters) are arguably worse still though. Afterall, at least bashers (usually) pay their fare, which on preserved railways, often goes towards the upkeep of locos / the railway in general, and obviously on Railtours, the fares mean more 'preserved' locos can be hired, and so on...
Therefore, bashers do contribute- it doesn't really matter what they say (and I can't imagine an EE basher ever criticising a 37 preservation project, however, it is likely they will criticise a 47 pres project- which is understandable, due to the 'rivalry' between Sulzer / EE)
On the other hand, people who vegetate on platforms or only phot, do not really help the upkeep of preserved locos- many photters do their fair share of complaining though- especially when it comes to 'flailing'. If they actually paid towards preservation of the loco they are photting, then they have a right to complain, but if not- they don't really.

I feel, overall, the 'bashers' do not have anything to be blamed for when it comes to lack of funds for preservation. IMO, it seems quite the opposite. If anything, 'bashers' are often given a bad reputation by a number of 'bad apples', who do avoid paying fares on tours/ galas, and flail / shout obsceneties. These make up a tiny % of the whole bashing community.

Fair enough people who just phot like myself can be blamed although I try to ride on their whenever funds permity me but the main thing is I allways make sure I spend some money their so to make up the cost of me not going on.
But I aggree not everyone is as forward thinking as me and some other photters and just see it as a free day.

EE Type 3

Established Member

It's always us isn't it? Everyone complains that we 'freeload' :roll:

If we want to stand in a field to photograph the train rather than ride on it then so be it. And it's not exactly like we don't support preservation. We buy lineside passes at galas and attend photoshoots to raise money for loco owners and groups, and we also donate in other ways (buying food on stations or buying things from shops)

And petrol isn't exactly free either :roll:

You cannot say who is the worst, as we all contribute to it.

Dave

P.S. Oh, and don't talk to me about bashers, silly immature people who wave cuddly toys around (Most of them, anyway) :roll:

Established Member
You cannot say who is the worst, as we all contribute to it.

P.S. Oh, and don't talk to me about bashers, silly immature people who wave cuddly toys around (Most of them, anyway) :roll:

A good point made but ruined by utter gibber for the last point. How is that different to saying 'all photters are freeloaders' when both are just a small proportion.

Out of interest how much was a lineside pass at KWVR (a day rover was £18 or £38 for three days)?

Established Member

So you want people to make a donation as well as pay railtour prices? To Be honest i doubt that will happen, if you are already being chung up 70 odd quid for a day out with say 40145 (which is a lot for what are usually basic out and back tours) then I doubt many are going to want to pay any more.

Mind you PF prices do seem to be heading down since Spitfire came about.....

I was having fun at the lancs yesterday as well with the dogs 8) :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.