• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 507 preservation society.

Established Member
Could open the two disused Edgehill tunnels as a heritage underground railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
I don't know if tours with this EMU would be successful or not but when the 1938 stock runs on the underground it seems popular. I think there are quite a few enthusiasts who might find a tour on a 507 interesting especially after the other trains from it's generation have been withdrawn.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
That is a really good idea - could also have a toilet fitted.
It isn't a really good idea at all. Hiring the train out for stag and hen dos is a ridiculous idea. Who wants a load of drunks roaming around the network? Merseyrail certainly doesn't because it has banned the consumption of alcohol on its network.

As for running it to special events. Retaining traction knowledge for a few trips to the golf or Southport air show per year would be ludicrously expensive and a complete pain and for what? A 3-car unit that can't multi with the rest of the fleet is hardly a crowdbuster.

John Luxton

Established Member
It isn't a really good idea at all. Hiring the train out for stag and hen dos is a ridiculous idea. Who wants a load of drunks roaming around the network? Merseyrail certainly doesn't because it has banned the consumption of alcohol on its network.

As for running it to special events. Retaining traction knowledge for a few trips to the golf or Southport air show per year would be ludicrously expensive and a complete pain and for what? A 3-car unit that can't multi with the rest of the fleet is hardly a crowdbuster.
It was the overall concept of it being hireable for special events which I suggested was a good idea.

The stag and hen dos I agree it would not be a good idea. :D

prod_pep

Established Member
Who wants a load of drunks roaming around the network?
Merseyrail are quite happy to have drunken people aboard when it suits them, e.g. whenever an Aintree or Chester race meeting disgorges.

The preserved Class 503 ran various specials and even some service trains for a couple of years after the rest of the class was withdrawn, and seemed to pull in quite a crowd according to photographs.

If the intentis for it to be used then condition is more improtant anything else. First delivered/first in service/carried the Queen is of minimal importance if you want to run it. If it is case of it being a static exhibit, then the "firsts" are of greater importance.
Actually, the historical angle is worth consideration whatever the intention. This unit's status as a 'Royal train', however tenuous, is of possible interest to non-preservationists. Again, 507001 is one of the most recently overhauled sets, so it's as good as it's likely to get regardless.

The idea that condition is the be all and end all and nothing else comes into it is overstated on this forum. Yes, you want the best you can get, but with 22 completely serviceable 507s left, the claim that some are totally rotten whereas others aren't at all is a little hyperbolic. All have undergone corrosion repair work at various stages but after over 45 years in service, the bodywork is going to need attention whatever unit is picked.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Merseyrail are quite happy to have drunken people aboard when it suits them, e.g. whenever an Aintree or Chester race meeting disgorges.
That isn't a load of drunks roaming the network. It is public transport fulfilling its purpose, i.e. taking people to and from where they want to go, and certainly for the Grand National event they have bolstered security and staffing. So that is extra cost, but for the large numbers involved and the extra revenue they get it will be negligible. If they had to employ extra security for a few drunks on a stag do party train that cost wouldn't be negligible compared to the income.

prod_pep

Established Member
Believe me, drunk people do roam the network when the races are on. They seem to get everywhere! :lol:

I do agree and am not in favour of running stag or hen do trains either, but they definitely get around at times.

Last edited:

Neil Polo

I’ve a few days up that way starting tomorrow. Is it likely that 507001 will be running? Does merseyrail operate the sets on rotation or would all stock likely be used throughout the day?

I’ve a few days up that way starting tomorrow. Is it likely that 507001 will be running? Does merseyrail operate the sets on rotation or would all stock likely be used throughout the day?

YorkRanger

I am not sure how long this has been an option, but I can't remember it being a feature of the website the last time I had a nosy at it (I apologise if this is old news), there are now 3 different membership options available to support the efforts of preserving a 507.

[a link to the membership page of the class 507s preservation group website]

Gwr12345

Apparently storage has been found at Nant Mawr visitor centre, and an agreement to purchase 507001 has been reached. An appeal to fund the cost of moving the train is to be launched.
The Class 507 Preservation Society have reached an agreement to take over the ownership of a train that has served the Liverpool City Region for 46 years. Due to be scrapped later this year, subject to funding the train will now be taken to the Nant Mawr visitor centre 15 miles south of Llangollen for conservation work.
Train 507 001 was built in 1978 by BREL at their Holgate Road Works in York and has spent its entire life working on the Northern and Wirral lines of Merseryrail. On 25th October 1978 Elizabeth II unveiled a plaque at Moorfields station to open the Merseyrail network, before travelling on 507 001 to Kirkby. Now, the Class 507 Preservation Society are working to save 507 001 from the scrap yard and are about to launch an appeal to cover the costs of moving the train to secure storage at the Nant Mawr Visitor Centre.

Nant Mawr is a terminus of the long gone Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway, (known informally as the ‘Potts Line’), which opened in 1866 to link the quarries of Criggion and Nant Mawr with the county town of Shrewsbury. Today the Nant Mawr visitor centre is home to the UK's largest collection of industrial monorail equipment (including some used in a James Bond film), a short narrow gauge line and over a mile of standard gauge track. There are also award winning nature trails through the surrounding woodland with many parts of the site having step-free access.

Funds needed
Whilst the Society have secured agreements with everyone involved for the train to be preserved, funds now need to be raised to move the train from the National Rail network to the Nant Mawr site. Expected to cost in the region of £10,000, the society is about to launch an appeal to cover the transport costs.

Society Chairman Robert Hampton said:

“It's fantastic news that we will be preserving this train for future generations. They have served the Liverpool City Region well in the 46 years since Elizabeth II travelled on this very train in 1978, be it taking people to and from work, for a day out to the seaside, or home after an evening out.
But we need to raise money to move the train from the mainline network to its new home at Nant Mawr or it faces being sent to South Wales and turned into razor blades. If everyone who remembers travelling on a train like this were to donate just £5.07 then we would be well on the way to saving this train for the people of Merseyside.

Mark Hignett from the Nant Mawr visitor centre said:

“I am thrilled that a train that carried Elizabeth II is coming to Nant Mawr. The area has many historic connections with Liverpool – lots of the city’s water comes from Lake Vyrnwy which is just 20miles away from us. We look forward to hosting this very special train.”

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Positive news, as long as Nant Mawr can keep it undercover and aren't inclined to kick out at some point in the future.

8A Rail

Established Member
Surely the North Mersey branch is a much more reasonable proposal for local heritage?
This has already been discussed at length on the relevant thread, so let us keep it there please.

Positive news, as long as Nant Mawr can keep it undercover and aren't inclined to kick out at some point in the future.
Ten year agreement in place but certainly in the short / medium term as far as can be established, not under cover.