• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 60s toton

Status
Not open for further replies.

marketman

Ive recently been a regular visitor to toton depot but struggle to identify some of the class 60s located to the left of the depot (as you look from the bank).

Any ideas ? Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
Would a full list of locos at toton tmd be satisfactory, or are you after only those on the left bank?

If you want a full report of 60s at toton pm me and I'll send you a tops list, otherwise I'm afraid I can't help

richieb1971

Established Member
My sources say the following -

working towards the A52 end... 067, 032, 060, 086, 050, 088, 018, 027, 037, 042, 097, 014, 025, 031, 005, 053, 078, 023, 089, 004, 093, 083, 006, and 081

I think your on about the other set on the other side of the shed. Apparently some have moved on that side recently.. Awaiting numbers.

Last edited:

marketman

Would a full list of locos at toton tmd be satisfactory, or are you after only those on the left bank?

If you want a full report of 60s at toton pm me and I'll send you a tops list, otherwise I'm afraid I can't help
it is the 60's on the left side of the bank. You can get most of them from the bank but some are hidden. A list may help and perhaps i can do some detective work. Thank you

marketman

My sources say the following -

working towards the A52 end... 067, 032, 060, 086, 050, 088, 018, 027, 037, 042, 097, 014, 025, 031, 005, 053, 078, 023, 089, 004, 093, 083, 006, and 081

I think your on about the other set on the other side of the shed. Apparently some have moved on that side recently.. Awaiting numbers.
ok thank you. any help appreciated

CosherB

Established Member
Reports elsewhere on the interweb suggest that the Class 60s may be staying at Toton a while longer. While the sale of a number of 60s to Wabtec was agreed, the sale hasn't been completed - the project is very much dependent on GBRf hiring some of these locomotives, but the recent acquisition of ten Class 66s from DBC has seemingly put and end to the project.

Don't tell BR 60082 ....

richieb1971

Established Member
I asked around, apparently not much will happen until the end of the year. Maybe a move or 2, but you won't see any reinstated scrap line 60's any time soon. Its still a green light project though.

CosherB

Established Member
I asked around, apparently not much will happen until the end of the year. Maybe a move or 2, but you won't see any reinstated scrap line 60's any time soon. Its still a green light project though.

Still a green light project for whom?

richieb1971

Established Member
Still a green light project for whom?

I stated "What will happen to those 20 60's now that GBRf have the 66's they procured?"

He stated "Its not going to be 20"

I stated "Was it ten? I can't remember the exact number"

He stated "The number is not important, you will see GBRf 60's".

I sensed he knew something but wasn't allowed to say, it seems to me based on his writings that the 60 project is delayed since the urgency is not that great anymore.

Mind you, he could be anybody. There are videos on there from 2 days ago from actually inside Toton (starting up a rehauled/engined 60062 or 60092 I think, the number wasn't visible). Nobody has contradicted him, usually if someone writes some gossip inducing stuff someone comes along and puts them right.

CosherB

Established Member
I wonder what your friend on Faceache thinks of the rumoured news that GBRf are going to borrow a Colas Class 70 for 'evaluation purposes'? Should finally nail the coffin of any returning 60s should GBRf like something shiny and new from GE instead .....

richieb1971

Established Member
Did colas not buy all the remaining stock and they are now not complicit with emission regulations? They would have to get some FL / Colas examples if they want 70's. If they want brand new it would need to have a different power plant surely?

Its no skin off my nose if your right. I am guilty of "hope" though for those poor 60's. Please remember I was just passing on what I heard and that person seemed quite sure of himself.

Crawley Ben

I stated "What will happen to those 20 60's now that GBRf have the 66's they procured?"

He stated "Its not going to be 20"

I stated "Was it ten? I can't remember the exact number"

He stated "The number is not important, you will see GBRf 60's".

I sensed he knew something but wasn't allowed to say, it seems to me based on his writings that the 60 project is delayed since the urgency is not that great anymore.

Mind you, he could be anybody. There are videos on there from 2 days ago from actually inside Toton (starting up a rehauled/engined 60062 or 60092 I think, the number wasn't visible). Nobody has contradicted him, usually if someone writes some gossip inducing stuff someone comes along and puts them right.

Believe it's 60062 from what I've read elsewhere?

Cheers

Ben

cj_1985

Any sign of movement of the Wabtec 60s, or has the whole deal gone belly up?

RingingEars66

Any sign of movement of the Wabtec 60s, or has the whole deal gone belly up?

I don't know for certain, but at some stage, GBRf were apparently interested. I'd love to see it happen, they'd be great for the work over the MML.

Rail Blues

I don't know for certain, but at some stage, GBRf were apparently interested. I'd love to see it happen, they'd be great for the work over the MML.

But would they really? The traffic for which they were built has largely disappeared and they're hampered by a low top speed. Sad as it is, too many were built and they've been left without a real role.

rebmcr

Established Member
But would they really? The traffic for which they were built has largely disappeared and they're hampered by a low top speed. Sad as it is, too many were built and they've been left without a real role.

Winter thunderbirds in third-rail areas? The extra-capable wheelslide prevention kit should work a treat!

dp21

From what I've heard, GBRf are in boom town at the moment and are looking at all avenues for new traction so I would be surprised if they still look at getting the 60s.

Bevan Price

Established Member
From what I've heard, GBRf are in boom town at the moment and are looking at all avenues for new traction so I would be surprised if they still look at getting the 60s.
GBRf did a couple of trials with hired Colas 70814 last week, working biomass from the (Liverpool) Docks to Edge Hill. A single 66 cannot be trusted alone on full loaded trains and is normally banked by another 66. 70814 now moved to Carlisle, apparently for trials on Tyne Dock workings.

richieb1971

Established Member
I heard today that the class 60 case has gone cold for quite a while now. GBRf left the table and didn't say when they were coming back. Brush were interested in them, perhaps waiting until DBS have only one choice but to give them away. Seems like Brush is the only hope now.

On Moderation
I heard today that the class 60 case has gone cold for quite a while now. GBRf left the table and didn't say when they were coming back. Brush were interested in them, perhaps waiting until DBS have only one choice but to give them away. Seems like Brush is the only hope now.
Wabtec/Brush will still need a customer, though. Their interest is in the overhaul/refurbishment of the locos, not operating them.

richieb1971

Established Member
According to the source their initial interest was without a customer. Perhaps they are trying to groom someone into the deal. GBRf were probably the first sniffers and went of the scent. My guess is that a customer will want a "ready to go" loco, not one that will spend months in a workshop. I suppose its up to Brush if they want to take that kind of risk.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
GBRf did a couple of trials with hired Colas 70814 last week, working biomass from the (Liverpool) Docks to Edge Hill. A single 66 cannot be trusted alone on full loaded trains and is normally banked by another 66. 70814 now moved to Carlisle, apparently for trials on Tyne Dock workings.

From an enthusiasts point of view it would be most interesting to understand how the 70 performed on these trials.

richieb1971

Established Member
It obviously went well as it now has a harder test. A 70 in carlisle is not a 60 at toton, how is this on topic.?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It obviously went well as it now has a harder test. A 70 in carlisle is not a 60 at toton, how is this on topic.?

Perhaps I should have been more explicit then, as it was the Biomass train trials out of Liverpool Docks I was interested in, probably a working that a 60 would be perfect for?

Last edited:

richieb1971

Established Member
Hmm, I suppose GBRf could come back to the meeting table if the 70 doesn't do a good job. Its highly unlikely though.

RingingEars66

Again, this is copied and pasted from another thread, but it's relevant. I'll put the link in:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gb-railfreight-in-locomotive-acquisition-talks.149967/page-10

GBRf can't get 60's, I believe they tried but wanted to overhaul them at Brush. DB wouldn't let anyone take them away without DB doing all the overhaul, like they did for Colas. I was told that GBRf realised that they couldn't get the loco's away by road because they're too heavy for a nearby road bridge and DB won't let anyone take the engines out unless they're being overhauled on site at Toton. So I was told that GBRf walked away from the table, which I think is fair if DB are going to be that ridiculous over an asset which is seeing it's last chance at overhaul.

So the other story is that GBRf are going to overhaul some 56's and put 66 engines in them, re-engineering the whole loco. The other day I could see that there's been a massive shuffle about at Leicester and a whole rake of 56's has been put together with a 47 at the front ready to take them off somewhere! So that looks like it will be coming off. Personally, I think it's throwing good money after bad and that those 56's should be run as they are, without the re-engineering. Not because I'm any sort of great lover of the 56, but because they aren't a perfect bed for this overhaul. Something that rides badly and has poor traction controls isn't going to be any better with a GM power unit...

Status
Not open for further replies.