• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 66 loco engine RPM ‘increase’ at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTONOV 12BP

I’ve fumbled onto a characteristic of few 66s during idle where occasionally, the RPM increases and stays that way for a minute or two before idling back down. Does anybody know what triggers this?

My guess is it feeds pressure onto the brakes at the back of the modal.

Here’s references below for query:

go to 18:27

go to 01:50

Credits: The Enthusiast’s Transport Videos

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Numbskull100

I’ve fumbled onto a characteristic of few 66s during idle where occasionally, the RPM increases and stays that way for a minute or two before idling back down. Does anybody know what triggers this?

My guess is it feeds pressure onto the brakes at the back of the modal.

Here’s references below for query:

go to 18:27

go to 01:50

Credits: The Enthusiast’s Transport Videos
It's recharging the brake pipe, the air demand causes the engine governor to increase RPM to put more air through.

The Puddock

Class 66s follow the American practice of having the compressor directly mechanically driven by the power unit. If you need more air then the engine RPM has to increase to produce it. British built locos use electric compressors, so there is no noticable change to the engine speed when the compressor starts, speeds up or stops.

ExRes

Established Member
Great fun when the ground staff started coupling 67s to mail vans, one of them decided my parents weren't married as he was convinced I was taking power while he was in between :lol: didn't take that long to get used to but the increased revs were certainly 'interesting'

Deepgreen

Established Member
Great fun when the ground staff started coupling 67s to mail vans, one of them decided my parents weren't married as he was convinced I was taking power while he was in between :lol: didn't take that long to get used to but the increased revs were certainly 'interesting'
Yes, but you didn't need to give the two tones as well! ;)

hwl

Established Member
Class 66s follow the American practice of having the compressor directly mechanically driven by the power unit. If you need more air then the engine RPM has to increase to produce it. British built locos use electric compressors, so there is no noticable change to the engine speed when the compressor starts, speeds up or stops.
The newest US locos in the past few years have gone electric compressor as well as it makes getting through the Tier 4 emissions regulation easier.

Deepgreen

Established Member
You have to take your enjoyment where you can :lol:
Yes - I do wonder how much stuff went on with steam - clearing the drain cocks, for example, can be a 'blast' (but with a high risk of scalding). A slight digression but I wonder what these NR guys thought when they were trapped against the wall at Victoria!
26329544291_4db87bbbd7_k.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.