• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 700 reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrh136

Hi all,
I'm not sure if there is a similar thread here but I've had a look through the last month or so but haven't seen one.

I've noticed that Thameslink seem to be cancelling quite a few services due to "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" - this seems to have been going on for a while as I remember seeing this when they often cancelled the (at the time) one a day train to/from East Grinstead. Is this because the class 700s are proving unreliable as I can't believe that operations now are more intensive than pre-Covid? Or am I missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hooverboy

On Moderation
Hi all,
I'm not sure if there is a similar thread here but I've had a look through the last month or so but haven't seen one.

I've noticed that Thameslink seem to be cancelling quite a few services due to "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" - this seems to have been going on for a while as I remember seeing this when they often cancelled the (at the time) one a day train to/from East Grinstead. Is this because the class 700s are proving unreliable as I can't believe that operations now are more intensive than pre-Covid? Or am I missing something?
The class 700 are mechanically very reliable.When they run,(more often than not the cause of cancellation is crew-related),they are robust and punctual.
The main quirk with these units is the aesthetics and the interior,not the stuff that makes it go.

gm671

Current issue is many units are out of mileage and Siemens are struggling to get them through periodic exams on time. Not been told if this is down to lack of labour, parts or both.

ctrh136

Current issue is many units are out of mileage and Siemens are struggling to get them through periodic exams on time. Not been told if this is down to lack of labour, parts or both.
Ah that makes sense.
I've seen that TL have temporarily withdrawn the Littlehampton service (which is transferring to Southern in May anyway) and have withdrawn one East Grinstead peak service (which is being covered by Southern to/from London Bridge) until early May.

Dave91131

700111 appears to have been out of use at Peterborough for about a fortnight now, unsure if mechanical / maintenance related though.

Javelin_55

Apparently the wheel lathe at Hornsey is out of service so units are stacking up waiting for Three Bridges which doesn't help.

700111 appears to have been out of use at Peterborough for about a fortnight now, unsure if mechanical / maintenance related though.
700111 hasn't run in passenger service for nearly a month, due to suspension issues.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is interesting on this contract I believe it is a "no train - no pay". But I bet Siemens are glad the full Thameslink service was never implemented. I notice at WGC the Sevenoaks service is frequently step up to save a unit.

The one that arrives at 0712 for example would normally form the 0802. It is not going back out at 0732 to save a unit. 387s are more common as well (not that anyone will complain at that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.