• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Does anyone know how the actual pitch differs? The FISA LEAN is quite a thick backed seat, whereas the Fainsa Sophia is both very thin and recessed at the sides rather than the middle (like the 175/180 seat) which is a better design for tall males, as people will well know sitting with your legs pushed together is not comfortable for males because of a certain thing that's there that isn't on females.

For me, the biggest problem is with the knees, rather than the legs being together. It's worse on window seats as the ducting and cantilever restrict you even more.

The USP of the FISA Lean is effectingly though most of that thick back is used for a niche for the legs of the person behind, the famous photo I posted of this configuration turned out to be pretty true after all :)

lean.png

Top = normal seats
bottom = LEAN seats

Wonder if it's a coincindence that LEAN rhymes with Sardine? :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
as people will well know sitting with your legs pushed together is not comfortable for males because of a certain thing that's there that isn't on females
Time for a discrimination complaint? If it was the other way around there would be a fuss....;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is the pitch tighter than the regional units? I tried an airline seat on one of those and it seemed about the same as a Pendolino or Voyager - fairly tight but not excessively so.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The USP of the FISA Lean is effectingly though most of that thick back is used for a niche for the legs of the person behind, the famous photo I posted of this configuration turned out to be pretty true after all :)

I find it interesting that they are shouting about this as if it was their idea - it's not - the original Class 158 seats and Pendolino/Voyager seats both have such a "niche", as do the Chapman seats which were almost universally fitted in the 1990s refurbs.

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
They aren't mounted anywhere near as closely together as in that drawing. The drawing is almost comical - how could people actually I get in and out of seats that close together without walking on them?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Is the pitch tighter than the regional units? I tried an airline seat on one of those and it seemed about the same as a Pendolino or Voyager - fairly tight but not excessively so.

I've only sat in one 745 so far, so can't provide a definitive answer unless all the non priority seats are the same, as it's possible I sat in a seat with less than normal, but it seems to be pretty much the same.

I find it interesting that they are shouting about this as if it was their idea - it's not - the original Class 158 seats and Pendolino/Voyager seats both have such a "niche", as do the Chapman seats which were almost universally fitted in the 1990s refurbs.

The Voyager and Pendolino seats are generally terrible though. You're right they both have niches. In some configurations though Chapmans are terrible, when I was in Wales some of the units had decent legroom and others were awful. Some of the cross country 170 units are probably the worst I've been on, along with the ATW ones.

They aren't mounted anywhere near as closely together as in that drawing. The drawing is almost comical - how could people actually I get in and out of seats that close together without walking on them?

That is their USP though, but granted, a little bit of an exageration. Makes it clear they're not going for the comfort market though!

The bit about the weight saving is possible partly by having them mounted and cantilevered.

Shunter_69

Not sure what the problem is but explains the Thunderbird shunting about at Colchester earlier so it could head North.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Voyager and Pendolino seats are generally terrible though. You're right they both have niches. In some configurations though Chapmans are terrible, when I was in Wales some of the units had decent legroom and others were awful. Some of the cross country 170 units are probably the worst I've been on, along with the ATW ones.

Some 170s have 10 rows in the centre section, they are fully window-aligned and the spacing is good.

Some have 11, I guess you got one of those.

The bit about the weight saving is possible partly by having them mounted and cantilevered.

I doubt it, the cantilever mounting is far bigger and heavier than a corridor-side leg. The purpose of cantilever mounting is to make cleaning easier.

dk1

Veteran Member
Have the wires gone up yet in Victoria Sidings?
Cheers!
Lots of activity in there today. Wires not actually up yet but several cherry pickers with staff working on the catenary. All ground lighting has been installed. @swills did say it will be commissioned on the 26th.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think that's enough seat action. If anyone wants to discuss it further please set up a dedicated thread to do so (there's nothing wrong with that!) as we do get quite a number of complaints from people who don't want to read thread after thread which just dissolves into variations of "I like this seat!", "Well I like this seat!", "This seat is dreadful!", "What do you mean this seat is wonderful!", etc etc.

Nothing wrong with discussing seats (they are quite important after all) but best done on another dedicated thread please :)

Railperf

Established Member
07:40/10:00 yes then had a trainee doing the dirty work for me on the next bit. Cracking day with a cracking crew.
Was that your first full return run on a 745 in passenger service?

Railperf

Established Member
10:00 -10 late at colchester - recovered to 2 late at Norwich - sounds like that was a lively run

Alfie1014

Lots of activity in there today. Wires not actually up yet but several cherry pickers with staff working on the catenary. All ground lighting has been installed. @swills did say it will be commissioned on the 26th.

There’s a block at Norwich this weekend, presumably for the commissioning?

Not much fun though for anyone travelling to London, bus to Diss or Thetford and on the mainline more engineering works in the London area with buses Ingatestone to Newbury Park, Central line forward. About four hours to Liverpool Street, ouch!

dk1

Veteran Member
10:00 -10 late at colchester - recovered to 2 late at Norwich - sounds like that was a lively run
Yeah delays are to be expected around Stratford for a while due to the GOBLIN route derailment & then there's a track defect at Chitts Hill. Bybthe second run 20mph ESR boards where in place. Whack her open & she practically flies.

dk1

Veteran Member

Not much fun though for anyone travelling to London, bus to Diss or Thetford and on the mainline more engineering works in the London area with buses Ingatestone to Newbury Park, Central line forward. About four hours to Liverpool Street, ouch!
Yeah, I'm booked bus to Diss tomorrow :( but back via the ESL.

LAX54

Established Member

We thought it was commissioning of Vic Sdgs, and the WON said that, but told today, it's next week maybe, however there is work being carried out this weekend, from 0135 Saturday to 0455 Monday (tight for 1P01!)

Status
Not open for further replies.