• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Astro_Orbiter

And they are getting twisted and bent into many many shapes. Ridiculous and unnecessary type of microphone.
Just the same as the now redundant stick microphones on the 317's, twisted and bent any which way just to get it tucked out the way lol

RealTrains07

Established Member
Is their a reason why the 745s dont have door close buttons?

Seems a bit odd considering the type of services they operate?

Rick1984

No idea about a train radio. But at sea, on a VHF radio you turn the squelch down till the interference comes through, then slowly turn till it stops then give it little extra. As to what it actually is I haven't a clue!

delticdave

No idea about a train radio. But at sea, on a VHF radio you turn the squelch down till the interference comes through, then slowly turn till it stops then give it little extra. As to what it actually is I haven't a clue!

Just the same with CB radio, if you wanted a private conversation on a busy channel but were reasonably close, you could adjust the squelch so it appeared to be private. It wasn't, of course. but you couldn't hear the other (angry) persons trying to use the folks trying use the same channel.....

trebor79

Established Member
Just the same with CB radio, if you wanted a private conversation on a busy channel but were reasonably close, you could adjust the squelch so it appeared to be private. It wasn't, of course. but you couldn't hear the other (angry) persons trying to use the folks trying use the same channel.....
I believe in those two cases, the squelch is adjusting the sensitivity to the received signal, filtering out the noise from the radio signal.
In the case of the 745 microphones, and squelch in an aviation intercom setting (which is why I'm used to), you're adjusting the noise filtering on the microphone input. Here you turn the squelch up until the intercom stops sending white noise into everybody's ears, then try speaking to make sure you haven't gone too far. When it's set right it will automatically transmit when you speak and then shut off when you stop speaking.
If you turn it up too far, your speech will chop in and out in a similar way to the announcements on these trains.

dk1

Veteran Member
I believe in those two cases, the squelch is adjusting the sensitivity to the received signal, filtering out the noise from the radio signal.
In the case of the 745 microphones, and squelch in an aviation intercom setting (which is why I'm used to), you're adjusting the noise filtering on the microphone input. Here you turn the squelch up until the intercom stops sending white noise into everybody's ears, then try speaking to make sure you haven't gone too far. When it's set right it will automatically transmit when you speak and then shut off when you stop speaking.
If you turn it up too far, your speech will chop in and out in a similar way to the announcements on these trains.
Was so much less complicated making announcements via one for all handset on the desk.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Was so much less complicated making announcements via one for all handset on the desk.
Just out of interest... is the talk back function (for communicating with the guard or responding to the passcom) also conducted via the stick microphone? Or is there a handset for that?

delticdave

Thanks for the very helpful info, I never really understood how radios worked......... DC

dk1

Veteran Member
Just out of interest... is the talk back function (for communicating with the guard or responding to the passcom) also conducted via the stick microphone? Or is there a handset for that?
Its everything except GSMR which mercifully still has a trusty handset.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Its everything except GSMR which mercifully still has a trusty handset.
Oh dear... does this mean that the audio from the passcom/guard's handset is just played through a speaker in the cab?

I don't understand why they wouldn't fit a handset, it can't be that much more expensive surely?

TitanMike

The 2 745's being used on Stansted Express today are listed as train formations on journey check on the GA website.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 2 745's being used on Stansted Express today are listed as train formations on journey check on the GA website.
Was 103 & 106 but the latter later swapped with 108. Never know whether to put 745/1 stuff in this thread as it states Intercity.

delticdave

Was 103 & 106 but the latter later swapped with 108. Never know whether to put 745/1 stuff in this thread as it states Intercity.

Please do continue, the 745/1 will be used on the London - Norwich services anyway & they are not regional emus, just lacking 1st class seating. (& catering facilities, just in case someone needs to correct me........)

dk1

Veteran Member
Please do continue, the 745/1 will be used on the London - Norwich services anyway & they are not regional emus, just lacking 1st class seating. (& catering facilities, just in case someone needs to correct me........)
Yeah its just it says Intercity and get picked up a lot on here for putting stuff in the wrong thread Haha. Also only seat back tables fitted.

Astro_Orbiter

Perhaps the mods could remove the (Intercity trains) bit from the title? Or perhaps make a separate Stansted Express thread?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For the avoidance of doubt this thread is for the 745s of all flavours. The "intercity" moniker was added to provided a bit more clarity when the thread was first split and before they were in service :)

Pacerman99

Does anyone have a seating plan or seating capacity numbers for the Stansted units? I gather there are more luggage racks/bike spaces than the intercity units.

Murray J

This pdf claims 722 (which I guess includes the 45 tip-up seats?) - but that was generated around order time, and specs might have changed:
according to the above link, the 745/1s have 767 seats, so presumably the 722 figure doesn't include the tip-up seats.

HowardGWR

Established Member
An article I read seemed to infer that the 745/1 would not have first class seats, as opposed to the 745/0. Does anyone know the breakdown between the two types, regarding first and second?

trebor79

Established Member
An article I read seemed to infer that the 745/1 would not have first class seats, as opposed to the 745/0. Does anyone know the breakdown between the two types, regarding first and second?
754/0 has 2 coaches of first class and 10 coaches of standard. Standard has a decent number of table bays and seat back tables on all other seats. There is a buffet bar between first and standard class.
745/1 is all standard class, with no table bays although there are seat back tables.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Early days yet but 745s are still averaging around 4000 MTIN vs around 50k-55k on the stock they replaced. 10 units for 9 diagrams will certainly be far too many based on current performance, once the timetable reverts to normal. I suspect it'll be a while before that happens, so hopefully between now and then the reliability will improve. No sign of improvement on the diesel units any time soon, we can only hope the electric only units will do better eventually.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Early days yet but 745s are still averaging around 4000 MTIN vs around 50k-55k on the stock they replaced. 10 units for 9 diagrams will certainly be far too many based on current performance, once the timetable reverts to normal. I suspect it'll be a while before that happens, so hopefully between now and then the reliability will improve. No sign of improvement on the diesel units any time soon, we can only hope the electric only units will do better eventually.
So if I'm understanding that right, they are failing almost 12× more often than what the replaced?

They'd better get saving for an extended lease on that LHCS then or they're not going to have a fleet large enough to run a proper service...

Status
Not open for further replies.