• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdlover777

are they're any worry of the 745s getting flat tyres from sitting in a sidding awaiting commissioning?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
are they're any worry of the 745s getting flat tyres from sitting in a sidding awaiting commissioning?
Absolutely not. There are potential issues with leaving a train parked for an extended time powered down outside, but "flat tyres" is not one.

dk1

Veteran Member
Another light engine movement from Crown Point to the MNR this morning.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/96834/2020-02-28/detailed
It may be that whatever it is just needs to be moved rather than entering service. I understand that GA units were being stored along the MNR running line due to a lack of space. This year’s running season begins on Sunday so they will need to be out of the way.
They are stored on the additional running line not on the running line so they will not be moved. The MNR has been operational throughout with constant movements for DRS.

samuelmorris

Established Member
So why would it be done ?
Because the new fleet isn't fully introduced yet - it's to denote what performance can be expected of the train in the timetable. It's not appropriate to change the timing for services for new stock until it's very likely the new stock will actually operate that service, otherwise if a new, faster unit doesn't work it, it will become late every time it runs.

Wuffle

Because the new fleet isn't fully introduced yet - it's to denote what performance can be expected of the train in the timetable. It's not appropriate to change the timing for services for new stock until it's very likely the new stock will actually operate that service, otherwise if a new, faster unit doesn't work it, it will become late every time it runs.
So we won't be seeing many anytime soon given other comments in this thread

WesternLancer

Established Member
You might well not see the RTT header changing until a timetable review related to stock or some such - think December maybe - you might / or might not see the whole new train fleet start over the next few weeks (or may timetable)

samuelmorris

Established Member
There are two units in use at the moment, and weekdays at least they aren't too hard to find. If you're waiting for a particular service to become 745-operated that isn't already, though, you could be in for a fair wait. Given current lack of progress I wouldn't expect the whole 745/0 fleet to be in service until May at the earliest, longer still for Stansted Express.

Wuffle

You might well not see the RTT header changing until a timetable review related to stock or some such - think December maybe - you might / or might not see the whole new train fleet start over the next few weeks (or may timetable)
If I understand correctly then, the timetable is agreed and becomes public for a certain time frame but parts of it are liable to change after a review - at least if you have a plan you can change it
After being on a 755 it would be interesting to see the difference between standard and first

On Moderation
It appears that sets 745002/003/005/006 have been accepted over the last week or so.

rdlover777

Not sure if that's a troll post you were responding to, but that's not how you get wheelflats :D

I think it was just a wind up. There are however issues with wheelsets when stabled for very long periods from what I am told.

wasn't intended as a troll post, i know train wheels can get a flat edge after sitting stationary for long periods of time, my uncle who used to work for Connex at Slade Green towards the end of there ownership of the SE franchise and he talked about one of the networkers (465 014) developing flat on its wheels after sitting unused in the depot being used as a source of spare parts for the rest of the fleet

On Moderation
wasn't intended as a troll post, i know train wheels can get a flat edge after sitting stationary for long periods of time, my uncle who used to work for Connex at Slade Green towards the end of there ownership of the SE franchise and he talked about one of the networkers (465 014) developing flat on its wheels after sitting unused in the depot being used as a source of spare parts for the rest of the fleet
Never heard of that happening. What does happen is damage to axle bearings (brinelling?) if vehicles are stood in the same position for a period of time. Storage sites will often move vehicles (and are contracted to do so) to prevent this.

rdlover777

Never heard of that happening. What does happen is damage to axle bearings (brinelling?) if vehicles are stood in the same position for a period of time. Storage sites will often move vehicles (and are contracted to do so) to prevent this.
according to him 465 014 was sat at the very back of the depot and had all its traction motors removed, making the unit effectively a dead unit

On Moderation
according to him 465 014 was sat at the very back of the depot and had all its traction motors removed, making the unit effectively a dead unit
Mark 3s sat at Long Marston don't have any traction motors, either, but they still get moved.

rdlover777

Mark 3s sat at Long Marston don't have any traction motors, either, but they still get moved.

im just typing out what i remember, haven't talked to my uncle in years

(better end this off topic tangent before the mods get angry)

Railperf

Established Member
Not sure if that's a troll post you were responding to, but that's not how you get wheelflats :D
I was told - quite reliably - that at least two units were ready to be accepted - all fault free running completed - but suffered wheel flats and currently needing attention - I.E wheel turning!
something to do with them having suffered the wheel flats while being shunted around - possibly a parking brake left on??

rdlover777

I was told - quite reliably - that at least two units were ready to be accepted - all fault free running completed - but suffered wheel flats and currently needing attention - I.E wheel turning!
something to do with them having suffered the wheel flats while being shunted around - possibly a parking brake left on??

i do remember hearing about one of the stadlers (may of been a 755) that had its brakes on all the way from europe

Railperf

Established Member
i do remember hearing about one of the stadlers (may of been a 755) that had its brakes on all the way from europe
I simply cannot believe that! The wheels would have been worn up to the axle - surely. The sparks from wheel rubbing rail as it was dragged along would surely have been flagged up very quickly - you would hope! Maybe a few kilometres, but no chance along the whole journey!

rdlover777

I simply cannot believe that! The wheels would have been worn up to the axle - surely. The sparks from wheel rubbing rail as it was dragged along would surely have been flagged up very quickly - you would hope! Maybe a few kilometres, but no chance along the whole journey!

from what i heard, they only found out when it arrived in Norwich, Stadler weren't too happy about it

Domh245

Established Member

You would have thought so! Presumably they don't have the equivalent of hot axlebox detectors on the continent - even though it wasn't the axle box heating up in this case, the temperature would surely have been high enough to set one off. I think the really surprising thing is that if this did happen, it wasn't picked up at (or in) eurotunnel, given the focus on fire safety!

samuelmorris

Established Member
I can believe that this could happen, but I'd have thought years, rather than a few months. Not like corrosion's going to get in, so it can only be the weight of the unit pressing down on the metal. One would have thought it'd be strong enough to withstand that for a very long time indeed.

I remember seeing a photo of a vehicle of a eurostar that encountered a seized wheel of some kind - about a third of the entire wheel was missing. If a Stadler had a wheel locked going all that distance, either the brakes would have caught fire or it would have suffered a similar fate, so I'm sceptical about that having happened. Brakes on by mistake when doing depot shunting seems far more plausible, if extremely embarrassing.

They are towed completely dead and I understand they have to be specifically set up to be towed, don’t forget the parking brakes default to on when no air is present. Units standing around due suffer bearing damage as the weight is concentrated in just one spot it’s good practice to move the unit a few feet every month or so.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
They are towed completely dead and I understand they have to be specifically set up to be towed, don’t forget the parking brakes default to on when no air is present. Units standing around due suffer bearing damage as the weight is concentrated in just one spot it’s good practice to move the unit a few feet every month or so.

Where I work the engineers manually rotate the stored electric motors. Many of these are large, as big/bigger than traction motors, but obviously have less weight on their bearings than a railway vehicle.

trebor79

Established Member

Where I work the engineers manually rotate the stored electric motors. Many of these are large, as big/bigger than traction motors, but obviously have less weight on their bearings than a railway vehicle.
Brinelling is usually only a problem where there is vibration present. Bearings on a wheelset out in the countryside are unlikely to end up brinelled.
Motors etc in factory are more at risk. We never had issues with standby motors, but we had centrifuges that were left running even when not in use. Just a day or so sat stationary with the rest of the factory running could be enough to cause the bearings to fail shortly after restarting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.