• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubs

Maybe if the lockdown goes on for a while and there is a decline in rail travel after they can all be sent to the scrappers too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

supervc-10

And Grand Central are planning to operate 90+Mk4s from Euston to Blackpool. This route is likely to be pretty handy for me, I work in Preston and the 17:43 departure they have planned will be ideal for heading to London after work!

Abbo

Not so fast! There are still a fair few locos hauling coaches around in various parts of the country (or would be were if it not for lock-down), including London Marylebone - Birmingham Snow Hill, Liverpool - Scarborough, and possibly others - eg the Fife circulars. And likely to be for quite a while.
Woops , sorry I was refering to the ex GER and FLIRT area and should have made that clear.

I hear 90005 was about today but I don't know when and on what.

Shunter_69

It’s in service today so it may well have been yesterday too but looked like it was testing due to the low passenger numbers?

robert west

A Stansted unit out on test today on 5q24
looked like 745108 or 109 can anyone confirm please
many thanks

Abbo

I have been told hat 007 continues to run in reverse formation ( first class wrong end ). Does anyone know , if true, why this is. Are they testing running this way to see how the pantographs fare in this directon for example.

Abbo

Sorry I wasn't making my question clear. Is the pantograph problematic at certain nueteral l sections. I believe the one at Bow is / could be viz a viz the signalling.

dk1

Veteran Member
Bow isn't too bad but Forest Gate on the UM is paricually tight if getting stopped beneath the Goblin bridge. Unfortunately as drivers we cannot simply swap pantographs over without tech help.

delticdave

Bow isn't too bad but Forest Gate on the UM is particularly tight if getting stopped beneath the Goblin bridge. Unfortunately as drivers we cannot simply swap pantographs over without tech help.
Wow, so you can't select forward or rear pan from your driving cab? What's best or most common, front or rear pan raised? FWIW, I would have thought that there's enough distance between them to use both, but that might cause problems at neutral sections.

TIA, DC

dk1

Veteran Member
Wow, so you can't select forward or rear pan from your driving cab? What's best or most common, front or rear pan raised? FWIW, I would have thought that there's enough distance between them to use both, but that might cause problems at neutral sections.

TIA, DC
It's always the back one. To swap them over means going into the maintenance menu which can only be accessed with a technicians PIN or if talked through it over the phone. Not sure if anybody has had the embarrassment of doing the latter yet :oops:

Nym

Established Member
That seems quite dumb compared with the status quo of units in the UK some 15 years ago, where Class 390s can select them with a rotary switch in the cab and simply press "PAN UP" again.

I'm not too certain on the Class 80xs but I've been on them in normal, close and intermediate spacing, with them I believe selected via the TCMS.

dk1

Veteran Member
That seems quite dumb compared with the status quo of units in the UK some 15 years ago, where Class 390s can select them with a rotary switch in the cab and simply press "PAN UP" again.
Totally agree but who are we to argue? I'm sure as the incidents & delay minutes rise there will be a change of heart in making this simple straightforward task a drivers decision as it should be. The rear pan could then be resellected once out of the affected area on occasions where there was no technical issue with the rear pan in the first place.

MisterT

In the Dutch NS FLIRT we can simply block a pantograph from rising, and the train will automatically raise the other one instead.
Seems weird to me that the drivers can't do anything to select the pantograph.

dk1

Veteran Member
In the Dutch NS FLIRT we can simply block a pantograph from rising, and the train will automatically raise the other one instead.
Seems weird to me that the drivers can't do anything to select the pantograph.
You & me both. Operation of the pans has been wholly our responsibility until now so what's changed & why is it such a big deal? Nobody seems to understand why.

alholmes

Saturday 11th saw three of the five passenger sets formed of 745/1 Stansted units. Sets in service were: 002, 005, 105, 106, 107. Also sets 001 and 109 were out on test.

Today (Tuesday 14th), Sets in service were: 002, 007, 009, 010, 107. Out on test were 001, 106 and 109. 745001 operated Norwich - Liverpool Street - Stansted - Ely, then returning by the same route. Have these been to Ely before?

VicH

Saturday 11th saw three of the five passenger sets formed of 745/1 Stansted units. Sets in service were: 002, 005, 105, 106, 107. Also sets 001 and 109 were out on test.

Today (Tuesday 14th), Sets in service were: 002, 007, 009, 010, 107. Out on test were 001, 106 and 109. 745001 operated Norwich - Liverpool Street - Stansted - Ely, then returning by the same route. Have these been to Ely before?

Do you know what diagram 109 was on today?

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I am puzzled. 106 was in service on Saturday 11/04/2020 but three days later it was on test. Had it been naughty on Saturday or had someone forgotten to test it ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.