• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Just looking at the pic, it looks like they could never be run in 3rd rail teritory (I think that step would be well foul of the 3rd rail) so I can't see XC ordering any (at least for their route down to Bournemouth)

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Just looking at the pic, it looks like they could never be run in 3rd rail teritory (I think that step would be well foul of the 3rd rail) so I can't see XC ordering any (at least for their route down to Bournemouth)

The IEP specification demanded that the bi-mode trains be able to run in self-powered mode over third rail and 1500V DC overhead (Tyne and Wear, Sunderland) electrified lines.

TheKnightWho

Established Member

In fact, I'd expect XC and the MML to both order them for their entire fleets. I imagine we'll see a lot of class 800s over the coming years, which will slowly be converted to class 801s over time as electrification progresses.

This is effectively the HST replacement, after all.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

395/Javelin has a step in the same place, it is just above the shoe beam.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Was there anything in the spec about potential 3rd rail compatibility? Obviously not for the FGW or EC sets, but for any potential orders. Or would they not be considered IEP, but a derivative of it also based on the AT300 model?

D365

Veteran Member
Was there anything in the spec about potential 3rd rail compatibility? Obviously not for the FGW or EC sets, but for any potential orders. Or would they not be considered IEP, but a derivative of it also based on the AT300 model?

Apparently so:

The IEP specification demanded that the bi-mode trains be able to run in self-powered mode over third rail and 1500V DC overhead (Tyne and Wear, Sunderland) electrified lines.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Some journalists suggesting the FGW order may be on DFTs behalf and some of them may actually be destined for Cross Country instead.

Last edited:

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Sorry - I meant self-powering on the 3rd rail, as Javelins do.

Would there be much point? If the track allowed, bi-mode Class 800s would be able to run faster in self-powered mode than they would using third rail shoes (limited to 160km/h). There isn't much point buying an AT300 derivative for the Manchester-South Coast CrossCountry services when they would be limited to traditional speeds on the WCML, and thus the rolling stock may as well have a flat end like a Class 444 or the new AT200s for Scotland and the extra capacity and flexibility that brings.

D365

Veteran Member
Would there be much point? If the track allowed, bi-mode Class 800s would be able to run faster in self-powered mode than they would using third rail shoes (limited to 160km/h). There isn't much point buying an AT300 derivative for the Manchester-South Coast CrossCountry services when they would be limited to traditional speeds on the WCML, and thus the rolling stock may as well have a flat end like a Class 444 or the new AT200s for Scotland and the extra capacity and flexibility that brings.

Fair point about the third rail, but the CrossCountry 221s have their tilt function removed anyway.

D365

Veteran Member
Interior shots of what exactly?

See between my posts above! WatcherZero explains.

Now, if this was IEP specification, I'd have hoped they would name it as Class 151 'SNES' for 'Super Nintendo Express Stock' :D

Pallet_Town_Red's_House_FRLG.png

TheKnightWho

Established Member

True, although I can't see any 3rd rail track being upgraded to support speeds higher than 100mph due to the high capacity constraints on those parts of the network, and the minimal benefit if just XC services would use it.

And whilst that's true for the WCML section, you're forgetting that most of the route is away from the WCML anyway, and XC services than run the route currently don't tilt so there'd be 0 disadvantage over current services.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If the SWML was eventually converted to AC and the line to Exeter via Salisbury was converted to double track would the increase in max line speed be enough to justify the use of an 800 or 801?

Sorry - I meant self-powering on the 3rd rail, as Javelins do.

The Javelin (Class 395) is itself that AT300 derivative.

jimm

Established Member
Yes. I know.

What I'm getting at is whether it is possible to fit a 3rd rail pickup to an IEP derivative. I'm not sure how I can make that any clearer.

Given that the 800/801 are based on a 395 and the bogies appear to share the same basic design then, yes, you could probably fit conductor shoes if you moved the step to the position on a 395 which is a bit higher and further back on the bogie - but it's not going to happen.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Given that the 800/801 are based on a 395 and the bogies appear to share the same basic design then, yes, you could probably fit conductor shoes if you moved the step to the position on a 395 which is a bit higher and further back on the bogie - but it's not going to happen.

I meant for any potential XC orders, which certainly are in the running. I'm not really sure why you're ruling it out, other than pessimism.

Noddy

Does anyone have a handy link or breakdown as to what the time savings will be when they are introduced, and also if/when the ECML and GWML are upgraded for 225kph?

Status
Not open for further replies.