• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 801

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Thought I would create a new thread to discuss the 801 as it will probably be quite hard to find any details amongst the extensive 800 thread.

Does anyone know what weight the 801 will be compared to the 800 and how this will affect its performance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
An electric IEP coach (no diesel power pack) weighs 41 tonnes, whilst those with diesel power packs apparently weigh 50 tonnes, according to Written evidence submitted by Roger Ford.

I would assume that this means a five-car Class 800 with three diesel power packs weighs 18 tonnes more than an equivalent Class 801 with one 'mule' pack.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Subject to a good interior fitting out, the Class 801 pure electric version should be a very good train. I believe carting around one Diesel engine ‘just in case’ is pretty ridiculous and a massive waste of energy.

D365

Veteran Member
I believe carting around one Diesel engine ‘just in case’ is pretty ridiculous and a massive waste of energy.

I think the 2016/17 Retford area dewirements make up the business case in their own right ;)

bastien

I believe carting around one Diesel engine ‘just in case’ is pretty ridiculous and a massive waste of energy.

It'll be nice if it could keep the air con going while you wait for a rescue unit to couple up, though.

D365

Veteran Member
It'll be nice if it could keep the air con going while you wait for a rescue unit to couple up, though.

That's not the purpose of the diesel engines. If you merely wanted to provide auxiliary current, an emergency battery pack (such as that fitted to the Class 345s) would suffice.

Established Member
Subject to a good interior fitting out, the Class 801 pure electric version should be a very good train. I believe carting around one Diesel engine ‘just in case’ is pretty ridiculous and a massive waste of energy.

If you have ever spent 5 hours stuck on a 225 set after it brought the wires down like I have, you would probably be inclined to regard it as anything but ridiculous even if it only powers the aircon, or ideally if it can crawl along to the nearest station. In fact given the joke wiring on the East Coast maybe they should all be full Bi-mode.

Last edited:

Filton Bank

That's not the purpose of the diesel engines. If you merely wanted to provide auxiliary current, an emergency battery pack (such as that fitted to the Class 345s) would suffice.
The GU is used to power the auxiliaries when there is no power from the transformers, and in certain other circumstances. For example, if a unit develops a traction fault, the assisting train will do the dragging, but the GU on the faulty can be run to power the auxliaries by selecting 'No Traction' on the Rescue Mode switch.

D365

Veteran Member
The GU is used to power the auxiliaries when there is no power from the transformers, and in certain other circumstances. For example, if a unit develops a traction fault, the assisting train will do the dragging, but the GU on the faulty can be run to power the auxliaries by selecting 'No Traction' on the Rescue Mode switch.

Fair enough. What I meant is that in the case of electrical infrastructure failure, assuming the train is still healthy, the main purpose of the generator unit will be to allow the unit to coast through or out of an isolated zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.