• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 80X - poor sound and thermal insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
After travelling on several LNER Azuma’s all over the place, one thing that has struck me for a brand new train is how poor the insulation is.

When travelling at high speed, you often hear that ‘draft’ sound throughout the carriage. This is when the vestibule doors are closed too.

Another thing that they aren’t particularly too good at is keeping outside sound out. Most noticeable whilst at stations. I’m no expert but the space in between the double glazed windows seems relatively small compared, to say, a MK4. Though the type of panels and thickness of them could contribute to this too.

Finally, the panels, and especially around the windows, always seems to be icy cold to touch. Regardless of the inside temperature of the carriage.

Has anyone else noticed these issues?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pacerman99

Yeah I've particularly noticed the 'draft' sound you talk about. I don't think it helps having all the equipment exposed on the roof like that; it can't be aerodynamic at all.

fgwrich

Established Member
Yeah I've particularly noticed the 'draft' sound you talk about. I don't think it helps having all the equipment exposed on the roof like that; it can't be aerodynamic at all.

I've often wondered about this. The roof is completely flat, with everything bolted to it, in the driving coaches there is also a rather noisy air vent as well. As for the vestibules, I used a non scientific decibel app on my phone and measured it to sitting inside the saloon of my Voyager home that night. The IET Vestibule was noisier than the rough running Voyager.

TH172341

Agreed on this, think it is to do with both insulation and the air con system which is prominent noise wise. If you ever get a Voyager coach with an engine out you'll notice how good the Voyager's noise insulation actually is.

northernbelle

The sound is air being forced through the HVAC units at either end of the passenger saloon. The noise isn't present when the exterior door rams are released, but the 'gale' sound described begins simultaneously with the operation of the exterior door rams at about 6mph. The noise is created by the rush of air through the HVAC into the pressurised (lower?) saloon.

That said, the decibel readings taken throughout the train are significantly lower than the trains the 80x fleet have replaced - particularly the vestibules and at the saloon ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.