• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 87 on the GWML

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
One of the most remarkable train jouneys I've had was behind an 87.........BR had laid on a northbound special to cater for returnees from a Buck House garden party, first stop Preston and the ticket guys at Euston were packing as many Lancashire-bound people on it as they could. It was timetabled to depart two minutes before the scheduled service (around 17:05) and went like a bat out of hell - the driver was obviously told to get out of the way and not hold anything else up. I've forgotten the exact details but we got to Preston something like 20 minutes early, and then Preston-Lancaster in around 13 minutes start to stop. As far as I can remember we didn't get a single signal check on the whole journey - the impression was that BR were trying to squeeze two trains into the path of one

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
That’s amazing 6G.
I wonder what he’d have thought if told that the same machine would pass through Reading under its own power over 40 years later?

Knowing how much he enjoyed the job he'd probably have volunteered to work it!

:D

" 'Course I sign Didcot ..."

6Gman

Established Member
Guard Agate at Liverpool South was legendary.

Reported to have reached Devon on one occasion.

Tw99

I'm sorry I missed seeing this. I'd seen the entry in RTT but just assumed it was another of the many class 80x training runs that have been going on! :(

Harbornite

Established Member
Managed to get a shot of it at Padderz.

42213880_458824184621477_4990970306844688384_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.