• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 8xx permitted speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

superkev

Established Member
Hi
I'm sure this may be covered on one of the various 8xx threads.
Watching the excellent Don Coffey 185 cab ride from Hull to Man pic I was stuck by it being limited to 75mph where sprinters were allowed 90mph
I wonder where the class 8xx multiple units are with the various speed signs like SP (sprinter), MU, HST and more.
K

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
80x use HST differentials. Was explained last month:

Domh245

Established Member
They also qualify for MU differentials (where these exist), but not Sprinter as I understand it

Efini92

Established Member
Hi
I'm sure this may be covered on one of the various 8xx threads.
Watching the excellent Don Coffey 185 cab ride from Hull to Man pic I was stuck by it being limited to 75mph where sprinters were allowed 90mph
I wonder where the class 8xx multiple units are with the various speed signs like SP (sprinter), MU, HST and more.
K
185’s have lots of restrictions due to their weight and large unsprung mass. They can’t run at any of the higher differential speeds e.g SP,MU,DMU,HST,EPS.

superkev

Established Member
80x use HST differentials. Was explained last month:
Thanks.
I thought they were more a multiple unit than an HST.
Do 8xxs use the Hull Micklefield line? If so perhaps some new signs are needed where they are restricted to 75mph, sprinters are allowed 90mph and line is signalled for 100mph.
K

Efini92

Established Member
They are a multiple unit, although I don’t sign them I would imagine they can run at MU speeds as well. The HST speeds covers a broad range of trains even including 158’s & 170’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.