• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Classroom to railway ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfh92

Hello, I am currently looking at vacancies in my area or close as possible to (Merseyside). Currently, I am working as an intervention teacher in a primary school, I’ve completed my degree in university and worked 6 years in customer service for Asda while studying in 6 form and university. Would the above experience give me a good opportunity and be considered for a job if it came up? I’ve enjoyed what am doing but I feel like a change of career and I’m really interested in a career working on the railways. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seejwalker

Hello, I am currently looking at vacancies in my area or close as possible to (Merseyside). Currently, I am working as an intervention teacher in a primary school, I’ve completed my degree in university and worked 6 years in customer service for Asda while studying in 6 form and university. Would the above experience give me a good opportunity and be considered for a job if it came up? I’ve enjoyed what am doing but I feel like a change of career and I’m really interested in a career working on the railways. Thanks.

There are people from all walks of life and backgrounds who work across the rail industry mate. You have as good a chance as anyone mate.

OneLowban

*Insert anything* to railway.

Doesn’t matter. If you can pass the tests and talk about some life experiences that’s all you need.

Go for it.

heedfan

I went from mainstream primary teaching to the railway. You will have loads of appropriate examples for your MMI/DMI.

king_walnut

I joined the railway off the back of 6 years at Asda, I didn't even put my degree on the application form.

dfh92

I joined the railway off the back of 6 years at Asda, I didn't even put my degree on the application form.

Really? I’ve worked in a school setting for 3 years also so i have a lot of experience in situations with children,adults and customers. Thanks for the advice.

king_walnut

That's the beauty of the railway for me. They employ you based on who you are, and not what you've achieved in your life.

If you can demonstrate that you work well in volatile situations and can keep calm under pressure, then you're good for the job. Someone with a Masters degree but no real world experience would struggle to get a job on the railway.

Static65

Agree with all of the above. In my DMI I was asked about my ability to study and used my 3 year degree to answer but was told they want to know about putting that study into practice and did I have a more relevant example. I then told them about a 2 week training course at work which was needed for my job, which got a much better reception.

Life experience from any background counts for far more than qualifications in this industry. No pieces of paper or previous railway experience required.

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'm joining the railway after 15 years of being a pen-pusher in desk jobs! Nothing stopping you!

FGW_DID

Established Member
My OH starts on the Railway next month after 10 1/2 years as a Teaching Assistant.

dfh92

I’ll be keeping my eye on vacancies now and applying soon as anything comes up. Have there been many appearing of late around Liverpool? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.