• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cliff railway repair works begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
The carriages from the famous cliff railway in Torquay are being taken to London on Wednesday as part of a £500,000 overhaul.
The Babbacombe Cliff Railway in Devon has been dogged with problems in recent years and needs major refurbishment work to secure its long term future.

It will return next year in its original 1926 cream and maroon livery.

Every year, the cliff railway attracts thousands of visitors who use it to get to Oddicombe Beach.

In recent years it has been dogged with problems and has been closed for periods during the summer season for essential maintenance.

Earlier this year, Torbay Council agreed to invest the money needed to secure the railway's long term future.

It is believed to be one of only two railways of its kind still working in the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4461574.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Finally get rid of that horrible torbay council livery! It certainly needs some repairs!

EDIT: TBH its quite an amazing railway it goes down a very steep slope, i have been down the hill nearby and it's not a nice hill to drive up!

Met Driver

Established Member
I went on it a few years back. I must admit I didn't notice any obvious problems though. I thought it was in fairly decent condition. :?

devon_metro

Established Member
It was but Torbay Council think that it is ok to underinvest certain attractions therefore making them go into disrepair, while councillors have a payrise. From what i can remember this is the only attraction owned by Torbay Council in Torbay; Thank god! :lol: Just out of interest does anybody pay more than 85p per hour to park in a car park? :shock:

Met Driver

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
Just out of interest does anybody pay more than 85p per hour to park in a car park? :shock:

85p?! That's nothing compared to what Westminster City Council charge. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.