• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed lines you have travelled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Likewise my memory has been refreshed by other posts and I can add Red Bank, Newcastle to Blaydon via Scotswood, and Nuneaton Avoiding Line to my previous entries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'm greatly impressed -- nay, awed -- by what you have done (and as envious as heck). Some of your "bags" ceased to be, so long ago -- you wouldn't, I suppose, be a nonagenarian-or-nearly? (Impertinent question <D, answer not sought !)
No. Still a few years to go yet. Some of my trips were on railtours on lines long closed to passengers, but retained for freight until Beeching.

Kevin51

A few lines I can remember going on. Mundesley to North Walsham including DMU and steam through to Liverpool Street. Weymouth Harbour. Stratford to North Woolwich with steam. Still open but connecting to the Palace Gates line, Leyton Midland Road to Noel Park. I assume there was a change at South Tottenham. Barking to Poplar via Limehouse, Poplar to Camden Road, Camden Road to Edgware and Edgware to Stratford via Canonbury. The S&D Bath and the Highbridge branch to Bournemouth West.

Pinza-C55

One I forgot was Fenchurch Street. Also as someone else mentioned the old North Berwick Station and Manors - Jesmond which was severed in 1978.

The exile

Established Member
Answers to this do help to date us a bit!

Confining myself to service trains (too many freight lines picked up on railtours in the 90s have disappeared!) and ignoring last few yards of truncated branches and short realignments:

Balloch Pier
Abbeyhill Loop (Edinburgh)
York - Selby (old ECML)
Thorpes Bridge Jn - Manchester Vic East Jn (via Red Bank)
Cudworth Line
Lincoln St Marks (from west only)
Pleck Jn - Darlaston Jn
Gloucester Eastgate
(LU) Epping - Ongar
(LU) Aldwych
Watford High Street - Croxley Green
Stratford - North Woolwich
Graham Road Curve
Broad Street
Primrose Hill
Holborn Viaduct
Addiscombe Branch
Dover Western Docks (both sides of the triangle)
Folkestone Harbour
Weymouth Quay
the non-Metrolink bits through Oldham
tiny stretches of Wimbledon - West Croydon that Tramlink doesn't re-use

The tantalising bit is knowing that I had several return trips on overnight trains between Bristol and the North when diversions via Honeybourne and Stratford were at least theoretically possible - but being only about 3 at the time I shall never know....

As the photo suggests, I've got a few in Germany as well

Ferry Connections at Puttgarden
Rostock Seehafen Nord branch
Dannenberg - Lüchow
Pritzwalk - Putlitz (or is that still open?)
Herzberg - Neustadt/Dosse
Neustadt/Dosse - Rathenow Nord
Joachimsthal - Templin
Oebisfelde - Salzwedel
Salzwedel - Geestgottberg
Wustermark - Nauen
Werneuchen - Tiefensee
Wolfenbüttel - Helmstedt
Haldensleben - Eilsleben
Eilsleben - Blumenberg
Blumenberg - Schönebeck
Blumenberg - Staßfurt
Köthen - Aken
Blankenburg - Königshütte
Zossen - Jüterbog
Pratau - Eilenburg
Grunow - Cottbus Wilmersdorf Nord
Berga-Kelbra - Stolberg (Harz)
Sömmerda - Großheringen
Artern - Nebra
Buna - Werke - Halle-Zscherbener Str.
Beucha - Brandis
Falkenberg - Riesa
Döbeln - Meißen Triebischtal
Wilthen - Bautzen
Ebersbach - Löbau
Neukirch West - Neustadt (Sachsen)
Scharzfeld - Bad Lauterberg
Gerstungen - Förtha
Gotha - Gräfenroda
Gera - Wünschendorf
Leipzig Bayrischer Bahnhof (surface station)
Saarmund - Werder (Havel)
Mülheim (Ruhr) - Duisburg (Wedau)
Duisburg - Entenfang - Düsseldorf Rath

Last edited:

In addition to my post #12, the now singled parts of Ashford to Hastings meaning Appledore - Ore except for the passing loop at Rye plus the Winchelsea down platform.
I am one of those who are totally humbled by those of you with great long pre-Beeching lists and therefore I fit into the ‘clutching at straws’ category!

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
to add to my previous: (thanks to others for some reminders:

Paddington to Greenford via North Action
Manors to Jesmond

Connections onto trainferries at
Nyborg
Korsor
Gedser
Warnemunde
Rodby
Puttgarden
Helsingor
Helsingborg
and closed sections of line towards these

Calthrop

Established Member
Anyone traveled the ex Midland Line - Harpenden to Hemel Hempstead?
Don’t recall seeing it mentioned.
Mind you it did close to passengers in 1947 but maybe used by our more senior forum members ;)

And @Bevan Price writes: "Some of my trips were on railtours on lines long closed to passengers, but retained for freight until Beeching."

At the risk of people thinking I've found further subtle ways of boasting: I would certainly be the poorer in lines covered, had it not been for my having taken part on a fair number of railtours, late 1960s / early '70s (a good many lines which had lost their passenger services way back, carried on for freight actually after the Beeching era; though freight-only lines are pretty thin on the ground nowadays). However; early-to-mid-'70s, I rather lost heart for the whole business of trying to cover all remaining operational lines in the country -- coming to a doleful feeling that by about 1970, Britain's railways mostly ruined so far as I was concerned -- plus, with life's ups and downs, I now have to rely on my memory re fruits of line-bashing: so there are lines which I suspect I have travelled over, but I'm not totally sure -- that applying particularly, to railtours covering freight lines; some of which do interest me enough, for wishing that I could be surer !

Thus -- the majority of the Hemel Hempstead branch (not its southern extremity) stayed in use for freight, till a late date: I think I covered the remaining part on an early-1970s railtour, but can't be certain.

Other "railtour maybes" for me (here, likely outside the "remit" of this thread, re its treating of lines which have been lifted): Wensleydale line up to Redmire (this, "still there" as part of the heritage scene); and, on a general "Lincs. / Notts." tour -- the ex- Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast line due west from Lincoln, up to somewhere well west of Dukeries Junction (I don't in fact know whether this line has been, since then, abandoned and lifted -- or whether it's still in action for freight).

Bertone

Thus -- the majority of the Hemel Hempstead branch (not its southern extremity) stayed in use for freight, till a late date: I think I covered the remaining part on an early-1970s railtour, but can't be certain.
Yes, the northern end of the line was used by Hemilite concrete works from 1968 until the line was severed at Harpenden from the Midland main line in mid 1979

Pinza-C55

Bishop Auckland Durham branch Up platform when it was used for Darlington trains about 1979 - 1984.

Bevan Price

Established Member
And @Bevan Price writes: "Some of my trips were on railtours on lines long closed to passengers, but retained for freight until Beeching."

At the risk of people thinking I've found further subtle ways of boasting: I would certainly be the poorer in lines covered, had it not been for my having taken part on a fair number of railtours, late 1960s / early '70s (a good many lines which had lost their passenger services way back, carried on for freight actually after the Beeching era; though freight-only lines are pretty thin on the ground nowadays). However; early-to-mid-'70s, I rather lost heart for the whole business of trying to cover all remaining operational lines in the country -- coming to a doleful feeling that by about 1970, Britain's railways mostly ruined so far as I was concerned -- plus, with life's ups and downs, I now have to rely on my memory re fruits of line-bashing: so there are lines which I suspect I have travelled over, but I'm not totally sure -- that applying particularly, to railtours covering freight lines; some of which do interest me enough, for wishing that I could be surer !

Other "railtour maybes" for me (here, likely outside the "remit" of this thread, re its treating of lines which have been lifted): Wensleydale line up to Redmire (this, "still there" as part of the heritage scene); and, on a general "Lincs. / Notts." tour -- the ex- Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast line due west from Lincoln, up to somewhere well west of Dukeries Junction (I don't in fact know whether this line has been, since then, abandoned and lifted -- or whether it's still in action for freight).
I think that Lincoln (Pyewipe Jn) to High Marnham has long gone, but west of High Marnham still has track remaining and sees occasional trains.
The most westerly section into Chesterfield Market Place has long gone - a tunnel (Bolsover ?) was in danger of collapsing, probably due to mining subsidence

Calthrop

Established Member
Yes, the northern end of the line was used by Hemilite concrete works from 1968 until the line was severed at Harpenden from the Midland main line in mid 1979

Hemilite -- yes: I recall name of a tour which covered the surviving part of the branch, as The Hemilite Railtour -- not sure whether that, something that I read; or whether it was the name of the tour which I went on -- assuming that I did so, and haven't imagined the whole thing !

I think that Lincoln (Pyewipe Jn) to High Marnham has long gone, but west of High Marnham still has track remaining and sees occasional trains.
The most westerly section into Chesterfield Market Place has long gone - a tunnel (Bolsover ?) was in danger of collapsing, probably due to mining subsidence

I don't seem able to find High Marnham via any of the reference sources available to me. Could you clarify, this venue's location? Have read about Bolsover Tunnel, as it indeed was; and what was becoming its highly dangerous condition. If I have things rightly, this westernmost section of the line into Chesterfield, as you say, was closed to all traffic in 1951; other parts of the route further east, succumbed bit by bit. I can see the new-ish BR being glad of the tunnel-in-bad-shape pretext, for getting rid of that stretch of line. I feel a fondness for the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast; one of Britain's assorted originally ambitious, but basically hopeless, secondary or tertiary lines -- this one, admittedly, with more going for it than, say, the Stratford & Midland Junction system as we've mentioned upthread.

steamybrian

Established Member
In BR days many depots had annual open days and arranged special passenger services from the nearest main station to a temporary station within the depot complex.
I travelled on a shuttle service from Paddington to the now closed Old Oak Common Depot.
also shuttle service from Ashford to the now closed Chart Leacon Depot.
I also remember travelling from Leicester to Coalville for an open day there but readers can advise me if the site at Coalville is still in use.?

David Burrows

Hemilite -- yes: I recall name of a tour which covered the surviving part of the branch, as The Hemilite Railtour -- not sure whether that, something that I read; or whether it was the name of the tour which I went on -- assuming that I did so, and haven't imagined the whole thing !

I don't seem able to find High Marnham via any of the reference sources available to me. Could you clarify, this venue's location? Have read about Bolsover Tunnel, as it indeed was; and what was becoming its highly dangerous condition. If I have things rightly, this westernmost section of the line into Chesterfield, as you say, was closed to all traffic in 1951; other parts of the route further east, succumbed bit by bit. I can see the new-ish BR being glad of the tunnel-in-bad-shape pretext, for getting rid of that stretch of line. I feel a fondness for the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast; one of Britain's assorted originally ambitious, but basically hopeless, secondary or tertiary lines -- this one, admittedly, with more going for it than, say, the Stratford & Midland Junction system as we've mentioned upthread.
High Marnham was the site of a power station and was served from the west until it closed a number of years ago, the old LD line over Fledborough viaduct over the river Trent on to Pywipe Jn was closed and lifted many years ago.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2312748,-0.7816804,1893m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en shows the power station area and the viaduct, a footpath exists over the viaduct and for miles towards Lincoln.

Gloster

Established Member

It was Bolsover Tunnel that was the problem and caused a section to close. However, the last bit into Chesterfield remained open as it was connected to the old GCR mainline near Arkwright. The tunnel has its own Wikipedia page.

Calthrop

Established Member
High Marnham was the site of a power station and was served from the west until it closed a number of years ago, the old LD line over Fledborough viaduct over the river Trent on to Pywipe Jn was closed and lifted many years ago.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2312748,-0.7816804,1893m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en shows the power station area and the viaduct, a footpath exists over the viaduct and for miles towards Lincoln.

Thank you ! High Marnham thus duly located by me. I have to wonder now, whether the early-1970s "Lincs. / Notts." railtour of which I write -- which did happen, with me on it -- actually covered the LD&EC line out of Lincoln; or whether that bit is a product of my wishful thinking?

I greatly wish that I had kept in my possession, records of all my rail travellings; but my life's circumstances have included various rather radical uprootings; and even I, have / have had other considerations in my life besides "gricing".

It was Bolsover Tunnel that was the problem and caused a section to close. However, the last bit into Chesterfield remained open as it was connected to the old GCR mainline near Arkwright. The tunnel has its own Wikipedia page.

Thanks -- looked up accordingly. Britain's 18th-longest tunnel, I learn... One gathers that 1951 was, anyway, "curtains" for passenger into Chesterfield Market Place station !

Last edited:

R Martin

Shoreham Bye Sea to Bramber steam hauled or pushed. I can still here the "Bark Bark" of the Terrier echoing across the Adur Valley! Days gone by.

Veteran Member
Shoreham Bye Sea to Bramber steam hauled or pushed. I can still here the "Bark Bark" of the Terrier echoing across the Adur Valley! Days gone by.
Pedantically, unless you are extremely old, it wasn't a Terrier! :)
Until the early 50s an ex LBSC D3 or similar though, but "foreign" motive power (LSW/SEC then BR) soon took over.

nw1

Established Member
As the photo suggests, I've got a few in Germany as well

If we're adding other countries I don't think I can claim any track, but I can claim stops at four apparently closed stations (based on maps and lack of mention in timetables) between Aurillac and Neussargues (Massif Central, France) in 1983. Arpajon, Polminhac, Thiezac, St Jacques.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
So far as I can recall, for me it's just Holborn Viaduct; Appledore to New Romney; Ilfracombe to Barnstable; Dalston Junction to Broad Street; Stratford to North Woolwich; Whitechapel to Shoreditch; and, if it's counted, Wimbledon to West Croydon.

leytongabriel

The East Devon line - Exmouth to Ottery St Mary via Newton Poppleford on it's way to the former Sidmouth Junction.

Ostrich

1950's and 60's holiday excursions ...
Taunton - Barnstaple - Ilfracombe
North Wales Radio Land Cruise route: Rhyl - Corwen - Bala - Barmouth Junction and Afon Wen - Bangor
(I'm sure we went round the circuit clock-wise, compared to BevanPrice's anti-clockwise!)
Anglesey: Gaewen - Amlwch
Somerset & Dorset: Bournemouth - Bath

.... and I have a vague memory of travelling in a GWR Railcar in Worcestershire that might have been on the Worcester - Bromyard line (?)

Edited to add:
Thanks to prompts in previous posts mentioning the IoW... :smile:
Shanklin - Ventnor
Newport - Cowes

I was going to add the Rhyl Miniature Railway round the Marine Lake before closure in the 60's, but Wiki tells me it's since been re-opened!

Last edited:

Matey

Sidmouth to Sidmouth Junction 1956
Okehampton (Meldon) to Plymouth 1956
Forres to Dava 1960-3
Forres to Aberdeen via Cullen 1963
Weymouth to Portland Easton 1946
Salisbury via West Moors line to Bournemouth 1946
Templecombe to Blandford Forum 1956
(All steam hauled)

Also covered Okehamton to Meldon - now closed again
This section now owned by Network Rail and has not been upgraded for GwR passenger traffic. Used occasionally to load recovered track materials.
Meldon Viaduct station has been heavily vandalised whilst out of use and now belongs to GwR.

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
This section now owned by Network Rail and has not been upgraded for GwR passenger traffic. Used occasionally to load recovered track materials.
Meldon Viaduct station has been heavily vandalised whilst out of use and now belongs to GwR.
Sorry to hear that Meldon has attracted the vandals but the quarry when it was used by a base by the Dartmoor Railway appeared to attract the attention of vandals. It seems to be a meeting point for those engaged in antisocial behaviour, unusual for a relatively remote location.

Last time I was there was in May 2021 when I parked at Sourton and walked along to Okehampton. Station was looking rough but not vandalised. A the time an Alallys truck was taking away one of the Mark IIs.

Calthrop

Established Member
... on a general "Lincs. / Notts." tour -- the ex- Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast line due west from Lincoln, up to somewhere well west of Dukeries Junction (I don't in fact know whether this line has been, since then, abandoned and lifted -- or whether it's still in action for freight).

And I and fellow-posters continued further, on LD&EC themes. Not wishing to "talk to death" this line: but -- see quote from self above -- embarrassingly, I have just discovered that I already had the information that Lincoln (Pyewipe Jun.) to High Marnham / Fledborough is closed and lifted; I mentioned it in a post I made two years ago -- but had plainly forgotten the fact. Oh, dear: feeling got that senile dementia is -- a bit early -- staring me in the face ...

Last edited:

KeithMcC

A reminder of many closed lines in these posts. I'm not quite old enough to remember most of the lines closed in the 60s but I can remember the Middleton in Teesdale branch as we always had a NE Runabout ticket for a summer 'Staycation'. I suspect I was taken to Middleton via Durham and Bishop Auckland but was too young to remember it!
The Tyneside electric trains including South Shields.
The old main line via Leamside on diversions several times.
The old line from Sunderland to Hartlepool via Wellfield on a diversion.
The GN/GE joint on a normal DMU (it took forever to get from Doncaster to Cambridge so I went to University in London instead!) and on a railtour that took the various avoiding lines and went to Healey Mills Yard (with a Class 50?).
The last day of the Alston branch.
For detail, the old main line north from Durham before a section was straightened out to avoid a sharp curve where the Sunderland branch diverged.

Status
Not open for further replies.